JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
That all depends. If I'm at a yard sale & find a gold chain that looks & feels right, is marked & the price is $1 I'm not getting out my tester or my scale. On the other hand, if someone comes to me with several ounces of scrap(or bullion) & wants to get 80% of melt you can bet I'm testing every last piece.

It's all about how much risk you are comfortable with. I'm fairly confident I can spot gold by the look.....although I have to admit that older gold filled pieces have the same look. I've bought several unmarked pieces without testing with no problems, but have never risked more than a buck or two doing it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trdhrdr007 is 100% correct.

If I have to pay top dollar I will check everytime.

BUT, like last saturday I was at a yard sale with piles of jewelry at either 25¢ or 50¢ I went thru and pulled out several pieces. Four were marked 10K, 14K, 14k and 14K the others were things I might sell on feebay. So for $1 I got four pieces of karat gold. When I got home I tested them. Three were real (value $320) and one was fake. It is a nice bracelet in yellow gold with red gold cutouts in the middle it is also stamped 14K MEXICO and it is FAKE.

Since the start of summer I have seen 2-3 gold and several silver counterfit pieces.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I haven't had many problems with marked jewelry that turned out to be fake. I did see 2 14k marked pieces at a flea market a month ago that were obviously fake. I also bought a bracelet marked sterling that I had my doubts about...it turned out to be fake so I'm out 50 cents. Other than those pieces I haven't run across anything.

I made a fairly decent score at a rummage sale last week. For $13 I got almost $150 in gold & $55 in silver. Other than that it's been a slow month.

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
I will "always" check on any heavy piece with acid and my electronic test kit.

After a while you will be able to look in a box and see what is gold.

Like the guys are saying though if it's a buck or two your fine, but if it's into the

hundred dollar range better be safe then sorry.

Just remember to make your cut deep enough so that you get past any heavy

plate.

Gl
HH
Dan

OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yeah im running into an issue with people not wanting me to cut and acid check. Even if they accept my offer if it passes they dont want me to "ruin the jewelry" to see if its fake since they wont be able to wear if afterward. Maybe its just an unlucky run of folks like this.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD-GA said:
Yeah im running into an issue with people not wanting me to cut and acid check. Even if they accept my offer if it passes they dont want me to "ruin the jewelry" to see if its fake since they wont be able to wear if afterward. Maybe its just an unlucky run of folks like this.
A few people have asked if I was going to melt it. They were fine with me buying it dut didn't want it melted down.

Only one has objected to me having to use a file but I assured her no one would ever see it. I try to do it right on an edge, easy to go deep enough and a fine jewelers half round file is even hard to feel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread