How many of you are in Southwest Virginia?

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clifton15...Have you ever done any "relic" hunting around the old abandoned coal mines
in Wise and Haysi.
I lived in Haysi when I was a kid. Get back there every few years now. I always try to
have one day to search around the old mines.
It's not Civil War relics. But, there's some interesting stuff there.

Roadquest

clifton15

Jul 6, 2008
sorry about the grammar guys lol....i am going to try some of the old coal towns down in Appalachia...have u tried the glamorgan area

Judie1958

Mar 24, 2013
Allisonia, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II (haven't used it yet).
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in Pulaski County and will start metal detecting for the very first time tomorrow after UPS gets here!!!! I am starting out with a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II metal detector....I don't know anything about them but figured it was a mid price range to begin.

Aus3

Mar 29, 2013
swva, VA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Smyth, but i don't have a md. I just starting looking in to it.

bcruzin

Jul 23, 2013
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
White's CoinMaster GT & MineLab 505 on loan
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey there. Branden in Roanoke. White's CoinMaster GT. Always up for a new lead. More of a coinshooter than anything else.
1749 Farthing on my 5th outing sealed the deal. I'm hooked.

bcruzin

Jul 23, 2013
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I may have a lead in Bridgewater VA. If the property owner goes for it, I may be able to bring someone else since we have 60 acres to cover.
Anybody local? Probably next weekend

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Grandparents lived in Sugar Grove near Marion in the mid 1960's. My ancestors were among the first settlers along the New River in Grayson County back in the 1760's , they had their own fort along the new river. would like to come up and hunt sometime but dont want to hunt alone.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
My Grandparents lived in Sugar Grove near Marion in the mid 1960's. My ancestors were among the first settlers along the New River in Grayson County back in the 1760's , they had their own fort along the new river. would like to come up and hunt sometime but dont want to hunt alone.

BEST to "partner up" with someone. BEST time to get out is FALL/LATE Fall, Winter, (Leaves & Critters are "down"...); Mountains are WONDERFUL! EARLY Spring is OK... Heard LOTS of Silver Mines are in the mountains of SW Virginia. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

bcruzin

Jul 23, 2013
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nobody in Roanoke? I'm up for a hunt

Dec 1, 2013
clintwood va.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clintwood VA here...I've been all over Pine Mountain between pound gap and Elkhorn City.....

Found a few interesting things/spots...and caves

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smyth County. Just starting to research detectors with hope of maybe getting started early next year

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all I too am in Roanoke. Mostly crawl around the local parks with my wife, I hate to hunt by myself.

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was just looking at some of these older post.reminds me of my home town Haysi. it's Ithink about 19 miles from Grundy.
There are lots of old coal mines and ave in Haysi. When I was a kid.I found a ave that have some Indian carvings on the wall.
There was lots of fools gold around the bend. I think about it now and again. I though it was fools gold. But I didn't know the difference.

jwbro

Mar 25, 2014
Blue Ridge, Va
Detector(s) used
White's QXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from around Blue Ridge. I'm retired military and new to Metal Detecting. Just been out around where I live trying to get the hang of it and ran across an 1876 seated Liberty dime. Would like to hunt with people who know what they're doing and where to hunt.

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live in jonesborough tn. Girlfriend and i usually hunt old farmsteads around here. Always willing to team up for some hunts

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live in Montgomery County and myself and my GF are both rather new to the sport/hobby and could use some other's to detect with or help get pointed in the right direction with places to check out

Sooooo .. if anyone's close by ( and there seems to be a few ) drop me a PM and we'll hook it up for a hunt

Thanks ~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread