What's new

How many of you guys on the east coast have found a 1964 d half?

golden silver

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
2,771
Reaction score
121
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I am just curious because it is the last half dollar left to find to fill up my book. I have a ton of 64 halves but in all of them not one D mint mark. I once heard that most of the 64d's were on the west coast. I am sure I will find one one day soon.

-Golden Silver
 
Upvote 0
I am not on the east coast but I have found one 1964D Kennedy Halve.

is the east coast SA, LA?????????
 
Mistake, sorry mine it is not a "D"

Sorry again
 
No worries Darth. What does SA, LA? I mean more East of the Mississippi.

-Golden Silver
 
Out of the 30 or so 1964's i have found none have been D's. I am in NY

The lucky thing with me if I need stuff like that to complete a set I just trade heads up with my dealer.

Jason
 
I have "57" 64's and none of them have a "D"
 
Yeah I was just wondering if I was crazy or if others are having a similar problem. I mean am I missing something or is it one of those things where there is no mint mark actually on the coin like the Franklin proofs. Just curious.

-Golden Silver
 
I've seen a few - stopped tracking them after I got a BU one for my book. Hadn't noticed how tough they were after that. I'll post when my next one appears

Maine_Jim
 
This is pretty cool to see that a few of you guys haven't found any... Well here in Chicago, the few halfs that I managed to get - I have found both 64's + 64d's. ;D
 
I'm in Michigan and have found lot's but a smaller ratio than the Plain (Phil.) Probably a 1 for every 10 around here.

Mojo
 
Late to convo and ignore me if you already know this, but for those who don't the mintmark for the 64 half dollar is on the reverse side beneath the left claw and above the word "HALF." It is not located on the front. Out of 9 64's I have 8 that are minted in Denver.
 
I've got about a 50/50 split between P and D mint marks. The D being small and on the reverse of the coin make them a little harder to spot but their out there.
 
DANDOW, I'llbe wow I have been doing this for about a year and did not know that. I will have to go and check my 64's. I feel like an idiot for now knowing. Why would they put it there?

-Golden Silver
 
I dunno!!!! I didn't know either but bought the Red Book today and was looking through it as I read that post...I thought to myself, I haven't seen any either in my collection but saw it in the book and went upstairs to check my collection.

If you guys don't have the Red Book I'd recommend it, especially for error coins.

Good luck guys!
 
amaizing I might have completed my book I will get back to you all.

-Golden Silver
 
dandow20 said:
Late to convo and ignore me if you already know this, but for those who don't the mintmark for the 64 half dollar is on the reverse side beneath the left claw and above the word "HALF." It is not located on the front. Out of 9 64's I have 8 that are minted in Denver.

All mintmarks for coins older than 1965 were on the reverse (except lincoln pennies) from what I understand.
 
Happened to me too. I live in the east coast and I did not know the D mintmark was on the reverse until I accumulated about 25 pieces of 64 and more than a month CRH passed by. Then I went back to check again, 2 of 25 were 64-D. So you should have one or two out of your bunch of 30.
 
i'll be darned....now i have to check all mine too....as far as i know i may have had one this whole time :thumbsup:
 
Out of 7 64's laying around 5 have a d mint mark. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom