how many of you use the coil protector...

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to edit, thought read knob covers for some reason,,, Duh,,,yes I do use COIL protectors !!!!

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to the cost of coil replacement and subsequent down time on the Excal, I'd be foolish if I didn't use a coil cover.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I am with deepseeker.

I cover all my coils.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Had to edit, thought read knob covers for some reason,,, Duh,,,yes I do use COIL protectors !!!!

I use a knob guard too. Yea, they make turning the knobs more difficult, but if you do a bit of research, those knobs are pretty vulnerable.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a knob guard too. Yea, they make turning the knobs more difficult, but if you do a bit of research, those knobs are pretty vulnerable.

Agree.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Knob guard Yes.....

Coil cover No........ Not till the coil looks like it going to be loosing blood! Reason, Not to use. Less issues in the water, but something you must be aware of and check ever so often. All it takes is a 1 minute inspection. The big killer of coils is over tightening of the coil bolt. As the rubber teardrop bushing wears one will tighten the coil bolt. This in turn puts stress on the underside by pulling the ears in.. pulling the ears in causes the plastic shell of the coil to separate from the epoxy resin mixture that holds the windings. A little opening will allow water to seep into, then harm the small LM833 op-amp and possibly the windings. When this happens the coil will start acting stupid, like uncontrolled laughing, well......... falsing really bad.

And Thanks to my Buddy Dew who found this issue of separation caused by the coil ears. Hope this don't come back to bite me in the azz but I've yet to have a coil issues on any of my excaliburs in the almost 8 years I've used them, keep the cable silicon greased and the tear drop washer replaced when needed. And the chances of a long life for your coil will be increased. And all of the above is Me, maybe your conditions requires a coil cover........

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In the murky water yesterday, every time I hit a rock with the coil, I grimaced a wee bit, and was glad I had the cover on. Sometimes rocks have sharp edges too.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I definitely use a coil cover. As a matter of fact I wore a hole through my cover. I use a CZ21 and it took me several hours to cut the coil cover off in pieces because of how tightly the cover fits on the C21. So I used my detector without a cover for a season or two and wore it badly. I had to send it back and the coil had to be replaced. They sent it back with a cover already on it and said I need to keep it on. Since repairs weren't cheap I decided to keep one on. I got a second CZ21 and put a cover on it before getting it wet. I always used covers on my land detectors anyway but didn't expect the sand to be so abrasive but basically it's one giant piece of sand paper out there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coil Cover - YES! :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use them on all my detectors too. Remember to clean them out every now and then!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a cover on my detectors except the cz-21. The coil cover on the cz was such a pain to get off. I now have painted the coil with plast-dip. The cz is out of warranty.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've used coil covers for years on all my machines. Mainly to keep the bottoms from getting nicked/cracked by rocks, shells etc. Recently, I sealed the cover on my Excal to the coil with some waterproof silicone adhesive. Eliminated the need to remove the cover to clean it out. Thinking of doing the same on the CTX...

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used coil covers for years on all my machines. Mainly to keep the bottoms from getting nicked/cracked by rocks, shells etc. Recently, I sealed the cover on my Excal to the coil with some waterproof silicone adhesive. Eliminated the need to remove the cover to clean it out. Thinking of doing the same on the CTX...

penzfan,

If have time, could you please post a close up pic of sealing job of excal2 coil protector.......very interested in this,,,,Thanks!!

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I also use Coil covers on all my detectors. The sand is super abrasive. But as everyone has said, got to keep them clean.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I definitely use a coil cover. As a matter of fact I wore a hole through my cover. I use a CZ21 and it took me several hours to cut the coil cover off in pieces because of how tightly the cover fits on the C21. So I used my detector without a cover for a season or two and wore it badly. I had to send it back and the coil had to be replaced. They sent it back with a cover already on it and said I need to keep it on. Since repairs weren't cheap I decided to keep one on. I got a second CZ21 and put a cover on it before getting it wet. I always used covers on my land detectors anyway but didn't expect the sand to be so abrasive but basically it's one giant piece of sand paper out there.

Curious if you have an issue with sand and water building up in your CZ-21 covers? I used mine once and had probably close to a half-teaspoon of sand in it. So, I went the route of many others and used Marine epoxy. Maybe a little over the top on protection and covered the entire coil cover and coil. But now it doesn't false. :laughing7:

20160705_183136small.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious if you have an issue with sand and water building up in your CZ-21 covers? I used mine once and had probably close to a half-teaspoon of sand in it. So, I went the route of many others and used Marine epoxy. Maybe a little over the top on protection and covered the entire coil cover and coil. But now it doesn't false. :laughing7:

View attachment 1348548
I am thinking about doing the same thing except I dont think I will paint the top

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing I really like on the Excal is that reflective lime colored stripe down the middle. That freshwater and sometimes murky water, tells me about where to place the scoop. I don't see me covering the coil with epoxy.

Yesterday's hunt was sparse in targets, just a dime and a "mood" ring. And then my battery died again. I'd tried a "smart charger" the night before for a 16 hour charge. I only got about an hour in the water before it went wazoo. Back on the stock charger last night.

I'd purchased the RnB Excal battery but haven't used it yet. I placed it in the alkaline battery holder, and the RnB is 3/8" too short, so it slides in the holder like a piston. I don't know what to think about that right now - thinking of taking a wine bottle cork and cutting it to fit in order to restrict battery movement. I don't think that movement would be good for it over time.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I really like on the Excal is that reflective lime colored stripe down the middle. That freshwater and sometimes murky water, tells me about where to place the scoop. I don't see me covering the coil with epoxy.

Yesterday's hunt was sparse in targets, just a dime and a "mood" ring. And then my battery died again. I'd tried a "smart charger" the night before for a 16 hour charge. I only got about an hour in the water before it went wazoo. Back on the stock charger last night.

I'd purchased the RnB Excal battery but haven't used it yet. I placed it in the alkaline battery holder, and the RnB is 3/8" too short, so it slides in the holder like a piston. I don't know what to think about that right now - thinking of taking a wine bottle cork and cutting it to fit in order to restrict battery movement. I don't think that movement would be good for it over time.

What voltage are you showing after a long charge of that time? The new Excal's have a bit better battery than the older models, so Marty told me.... but I think I read somewhere
you go to around 15 volts,,, but usually after checking with my volt meter,, I feel fine with ,,,let's say a 14.15 reading or thereabouts. Do I dare go much higher on this, or will it even
take much more than this,,,dunno,,,,scared to overcharge,,,usually check for voltage when I think is right and if it is over 14 consider good to go....Thoughts ?

guess I will throw in that some of you have the new smart charge thingie,,,,I am still using the one they send with the unit,,,seems ok to me....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread