How Many Times Have You Detected a Pipe ?????

G

Grizzl

Try to remember all of the pipes you have found and walked away from while you read this. I know both of the characters in this story very well and know the story to be true.

I have a friend who lives in a rental house in Northern California. Another friend who previously lived in this same house stopped by one day and said he had forgotten and left something there when he moved out. The guy asked if he could retrieve his "stuff". Being friends, the guy was given permission to go in the back yard to get his "stuff". After taking a look at the situation he returned to his car to get a shovel.

Now I know this guy pretty well and I can tell you he is ECCENTRIC! He was always in trouble with our employer because he wouldn't cash his paychecks. He was very well off financially, and said he worked because he loved his work and didn't need more money. When they finally fired him, he had almost two years worth of uncashed paychecks. Even though we are talking about the late 90s he still didn't trust banks for anything, including safe deposit boxes, I guess.

Back to story. The two guys go out near the rear property line and "goofy" starts digging. He digs up about 10' of approximately 2" galvanized pipe capped on both ends. "goofy" borrows a hacksaw to cut the pipe because it won't fit in his Volkswagen. What was in the pipe?? It was his silver dollar collection! My friend who was there said all of the coins were very, very old and looked mint as far as he could tell. "goofy" claimed his collection was extremely valuable, thats why he buried it

I wonder what a 10 foot stack of those coins would be worth? The pipe had been there, untouched for about 8 years. His collection would have been safe from me. If I had detected it I surely would not had dug up 10 feet of it to check it out, but I sure will now. You can count on it! If something had happened to the guy, how long would it have been before someone found his cache? One never knows.

Yeah, If I detected something 10' long , I pass it buy, figuring it was some pipe, or junk.
Not to mention I hunt in coin mode alot, so it probably wouldn't pick it up, and maybe even caused an overload.

That is why we are treasure hunters today, thanks to people like your friend.

Finding a cache would be great, I would love it!! But digging a 10' pipe can be a pain but also dangerous. If its worth a few hundred dollars great, but if it is a gasline or electric lines, no more treasure hunter... No more treasures.

Attachments

• boom.jpg
    boom.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 387

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back