What's new

How old is this button?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Any idea how old this button is? Has anyone ever seen a button like this? :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • wayland 006.webp
    wayland 006.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 308
  • wayland 007.webp
    wayland 007.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 306
  • wayland 008.webp
    wayland 008.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 298
  • wayland 008.webp
    wayland 008.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 289
  • wayland 007.webp
    wayland 007.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 301
  • wayland 006.webp
    wayland 006.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 291
I might be wrong but I believe it's 1870's or so. I think that type of button is called a pierced button
 
Upvote 0
That is one sweet button.
 
Upvote 0
It does look older but I don't think I've ever seen a 1700's button with openings like that. I know in the late 1800's they made buttons like that. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will hop in and help.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
It does look older but I don't think I've ever seen a 1700's button with openings like that. I know in the late 1800's they made buttons like that. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will hop in and help.
:icon_scratch: This is the closes I have! And purdy sure it's at least that old :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0623[1].webp
    DSCN0623[1].webp
    91.4 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN0624[1].webp
    DSCN0624[1].webp
    78.5 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0623[1].webp
    DSCN0623[1].webp
    91.4 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCN0624[1].webp
    DSCN0624[1].webp
    78.5 KB · Views: 266
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
TimeKiller, Are you trying to tell me I might be wrong?? :o That's not possible. I'm never wrong.... Well maybe every now and then :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
TimeKiller, Are you trying to tell me I might be wrong?? :o That's not possible. I'm never wrong.... Well maybe every now and then :laughing7:
No buddy everyone has a opinion :D I will say though while we are on the subject that I try to with my best intention be as true as I can based on what I know. ;D So I won't intentionaly give a wrong Idea will not waste my time on that I'd rather not answer at all. :thumbsup: Anyway it's all a guessing game of sorts! No one is wrong pursay and no one is right as long as we be honest! Just saying what I honestly think about it (button) I know you are too. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I might be wrong but I believe it's 1870's or so. I think that type of button is called a pierced button

Late 1800s :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
:hello:

Open work buttons like yours, usually date to 19th-20th century :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Nice button.
And I agree with Vayank it's most likely late 1800 and could have very well been what is reffered to as a " Perfume Button" Minus the fabric on the back.


PERFUME BUTTONS
Perfume Buttons, in my opinion, have the coolest story. Made in the mid-1800's, they have an underlay of velvet fabric with a pierced, ornate brass/copper overlay. The perfumes of the Victorian Era were oil based, and when used on the skin, would soil the women's' clothing. These buttons were designed so women could dab their perfume on the velvet of the button, thus, protecting their clothing and carrying the scent for a long time. Keep reading…you will love this. During the Civil War, women would give such a button, scented with their perfume, to a husband or lover going off to war. He would stitch it under his uniform collar as a reminder of the love he left behind.
 
Upvote 0
4-H,
I was always wondering why the earlier women went around with one large button attached to their shawls or blouse/dress collars, they didn't seem to "belong" if that makes since.
Although many of the backs to perfume buttons were solid and they were seamed, 2 pieces to hold the fabric, that I have seen anyway. :dontknow:

They also made perfume button pendants to wear on necklaces. :read2:


http://auntjudysattic.com/About_Perfume_Buttons.htm
 
Upvote 0
I'm with Timekiller on this one! I have many and I am very sure they are early. (late 18th century/early 19th) Yes there are some that are Victorian era, but are different. If mine aren't early they sure were out of place!


Here's some of mine in this post. All from sites which I dug flat buttons and very few, if any, 2 piece types.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,112951.0.html
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
I'm with Timekiller on this one! I have many and I am very sure they are early. (late 18th century/early 19th) Yes there are some that are Victorian era, but are different. If mine aren't early they sure were out of place!


Here's some of mine in this post. All from sites which I dug flat buttons and very few, if any, 2 piece types.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,112951.0.html

I agree timekillers button is late 18th century, a similar example in my book. But the one posted doesn't quite have the same 'feel'. Might be wrong, & you have swayed me by 50%. I have had a few of both types 18th & late Victorian, I just think its more the other way. :icon_scratch:

PS. just seen your added link, those are 18th C & similar are in my book :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Thank you timekiller and all others who helped. I am green checking this baby. :wink:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom