What's new

How old is this large Axe head?

Dug

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
1,141
Reaction score
1,264
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

Numerous times I have dug hatchet heads in the shape of this axe head but this is the first time I have ever dug an axe head in this shape this large. 7.5 inches from blade to back. I am still in the cleaning stage before I take it to the preservation stage.

Looking for a positive ID on time period please.

axe.webp
 
Late 19th century to early 20th century would be my guess.
 
Upvote 0
Based on the design, my guess would be mid to late 19thc. :thumbsup:

Nice find Dug,
Dave
 
Upvote 0
I have found broad hatchets shaped like yours. If it has a bevel only on one side, then it is a broad hatchet.
 
Upvote 0
I have an exact match to that one and I was told pre 1840’s, mine was found in a barn in New England years ago. I’ll post a picture
 
Upvote 0
I have an exact match to that one and I was told pre 1840’s, mine was found in a barn in New England years ago. I’ll post a picture

Unless it was under an animal pen I bet it is in great shape.
 
Upvote 0
I have an exact match to that one and I was told pre 1840’s, mine was found in a barn in New England years ago. I’ll post a picture
I can’t post that picture from my pics I have saved here, I’ll have to retake and post
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom