What's new

How rare is a 87 Kennedy Half

Fruitbat

Full Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I thought that the 1987 Kennedy half was a pretty rare one to find. Last night I'm looking through my halfs after finding another 1987. I counted 10 that I have found and I haven't been doing this too long. Or have I just been lucky?
 
Upvote 0
there are 2,890,758 P's
there are 2,890,758 D's

and 3,227,194 S's

but according to my Redbook non were issued for circulation.

so the only thing rare is the fact somone decided to spend theirs.

My guess Some who are addicted to SLOT MACHINES
decided they needed to play more then Save,

Some from Thefts

and Some just because they will never really be worth much (Their Clad)
 
I've personally found WWWWAAAAYYY more Walkers than 1987s for example. They are quite difficult to find in the 'wilds' of circulation.
 
I have just compleated a roll of ea. mint mark P&D and it took me 3 years to do it. over 2.3 million searched. I have also accumulated a half dozen of the S mint mark.

They are hard to come by but easier to find than a Barber though.

They should be worth something in 50 to 100 years though. As long as coin collecting is a hobby. It's not too much to save for the grand kids.

The way I look at it there are 300 million people in this country and just under 3 million minted if 1 in 100 people tried to put together a full set of JFK's there are going to be shortages. Plus what condition are they in....Making them rare.
Being copper clad you know they wont be melting them down any time soon. And there are collectors of U.S. coins around the world.

Look into older coins with low mintage numbers to get an idea of how low mintage plays into the value.
Take a 1938D Walking Liberty Half for instance. Even in lower grades they command good money.

Mojo
 
It took me more than 42,000 coins to find my first 87D. Then there was a second one in the same box. Still searching for the P.
 
Since I started half hunting in 2005 I've found a total of three 87's. They're by far the least common of the non-silver NIFC's.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom