HOW TO CATCH A TROLL

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
How to Catch a Troll

The lowest form of forum life is the troll— an egomaniacal, deliberately provocative, and often insulting individual whose immaturity feeds off the irritation and frustration of others. (Who knows why he behaves in this fashion? Maybe the big boys made fun of him in gym class. Does it really matter?) Once identified, a troll can simply be ignored. That's what the "Ignore User" button is for. But how can you spot a troll? Here are ten types to watch out for...

1. Those who suddenly take an interest in you and shower you with fawning compliments. Beware of such unknown instant new "best friends."

2. Those who continually ask open-ended questions or insist on being given sources that support your comments.

3. Those with shifting positions or opinions, often contradicting themselves within a few posts in order to oppose some new fact, idea, opinion, or individual.

4. Those who keep changing usernames or use multiple names to avoid being identified and ignored— sometimes even forming a "gang of one," and posting under several identities in the same thread.

5. Those who load threads with distracting comments, irrelevant text, or images.

6. Those who keep trying to revive dead threads, especially ones which they were previously unable to derail or manipulate to their satisfaction.

7. Those who plagiarize others' work and post it as their own, hoping to provoke a response.

8. Those who try to create division among members by distorting or pretending to misunderstand statements in a way that they hope will make one member question the sincerity or integrity of another.

9. Those who attempt to draw attention away from, discredit, or insult one member's contribution by lavishing excessive &/or undeserved praise on another.

10. Those who mock, sneer, belittle, or flame others for petty errors in spelling, grammar, math, etc., or for their age, gender, ethnicity, or some other distinguishing characteristic.

Remember, once you're sure you've identified a troll, just ignore him. Also,never forget that a troll is a troll: you may find his comments and conduct entertaining today, but you could easily head his "hit list" tomorrow.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
PBK: I thought you had some very interesting points but I am curious about some things.

Wouldn't accusing someone else's find as something the bought in a coin shop be considered a troll? This has never happened to me as I do not post finds. But I know of others who it has happened to. The fact is only the poster of the photo knows for sure.

Also how about accusing someone else of plagiarism when it is clearly not, be a troll. This has happened to me and 6 other people on TN that I know of? All of of them presented new ideas but did mention some of the basic ideas, but in a different way. 4 of these people have told me they will never again post to TN.

I am not trying to rattle your chain. Especially when I know you are a peace maker.

What are your thoughts.
ericwt

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
cryptodave said:
I thought for sure the answer to "How to catch a troll" was going to be... Drum Roll.... A little metal acorn... lol!

I almost fell on the floor laughing. Thanks you made my day. ;D ;D ;D ;D

ericwt

OP
OP
PBK

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
cryptodave said:
I thought for sure the answer to "How to catch a troll" was going to be... Drum Roll.... A little metal acorn... lol!

LOL! ;D

Oh, man, Dave... I should have seen that one coming!

Honestly, though, I don't think the acorn would work. Remember, we were told it was for catching squirrels. Trolls are not squirrels, although some are clearly squirrel bait!

OP
OP
PBK

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
ericwt said:
Wouldn't accusing someone else's find as something the bought in a coin shop be considered a troll?

Also how about accusing someone else of plagiarism when it is clearly not, be a troll.

I would certainly consider either of those statements offensive if they were directed at me. However, the person who made them might not be a troll in the true sense of the word— someone who is purposely and not only repeatedly but relentlessly unpleasant, insulting, confrontational, etc.

Once? Maybe a sign of an emerging troll.

Day after day, post after post? Well, we all know the answer to that one!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Maybe we call some of them Spiders sometimes too...

just stomp on them... and the problem is solved!

Thought provoking thread PBK!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
PBK

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Boobydoo said:
Thought provoking thread PBK!

Smiles!
BDoo

Some might say simply "provoking"! ;)

BTW, what happened to your website link? I clicked over there for just a second the other day and it looked like a really interesting read, but then I got sidetracked by something or other. (What's an attention span?)

OP
OP
PBK

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
fleamistress said:
Trolls resemble bullies in that the best way to extinguish either is not giving them the benefit of ANY reaction. Then they'll find somewhere else to play.

Cyn

This topic/thread will likely be my last acknowledgment of them, but I thought it was about time for somebody to say something. I know this forum's never going to be a utopia— we'd probably be bored out of our skulls if it were— but it doesn't need to degenerate into a cheap-shot snipefest or a noisome troll nest, either.

(Sorry, Cyn... no masterpieces. I'm trying to quit! ;D)

OP
OP
PBK

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Michigan Badger said:
I had another discussion with myself and we have decided that whatever or whomever you all decide is a troll, is a troll.

Hey, Badger!

Well, I'll say one thing... I like the company you keep! ;)

Hope you're not serious about pulling out of the forum (at least for a while). I always enjoy your posts, and that avatar of the "tree wheel" gets me every time!

All the best,
PBK

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks.

I may not cancel my account this time but I should leave for awhile. At least until I get caught up on my work. The trouble I have is I'm just addicted to these online forums. Everytime I sit down to do some computer work I find myself on Treasurenet or one of the others ...LOL!

If I could do like some and limit my posts to "Today's Finds" that would help. I'll have to work on that.

Oh well, as I'm typing this I'm cleaning some dug iron with electrolysis. I do this in my garage in a 5 gal. pal. This time it's an ax head. Man, do those puppies stink! Old nasty iron just has it's own peculiar smell when your pouring 12 volts and 6 amps through it.

Best check on it.

Take care,

Badger

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so based on your post PBK im 10% troll does that constitute full trolldum or semi-trollish or just a smart @ss ::)

OP
OP
PBK

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
dekalb33 said:
so based on your post PBK im 10% troll does that constitute full trolldum or semi-trollish or just a smart @ss ::)

Hate to break it to you, DK, but deep down you're really one of the good guys.

Then again, if someone slipped a whoopee cushion into the queen's throne... well, I might have my suspicions! ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya, old dekalb33 (I call him deacon) is okay!

I don't always know what he's talking about but on the other hand I don't always know what I'm talking about so I guess that makes us even.

Wait a minute!!! Did that come out right? ??? We'll have to have another discussion about it.

OP
OP
PBK

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
dekalb33 said:

All right, don't pout about it.

Hmmm... let's see...

Would you settle for "Honorary Troll"?

(Although I don't believe there's much honorable about them.)

OP
OP
PBK

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
fleamistress said:
Hey PBK!

Is your new avatar a quill point? (I loved your old one!)

Yeah... well, a pen nib anyway. Editing, etc. You know me: no imagination.

The old one was a detail from the cover of a 1930's Talbot Mundy novel. Who knows? The old guy might take another bow one of these days. But when your eyes have already been lasered seven times, that red & yellow can be a little rough on the retinas.

Think I'll pass on the DeKalb costume (or lack thereof ;D) revelries. He'd better be careful, too, or he'll end up getting slugged by Danny Bonaduce!

I'll be watching for your new getup, though. (Go with the top hat, not the derby.)

PBK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions