How to clean clad for coinstar?????

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give the coins a good washing and then give Coinstar the first shot. Any coins Coinstar won’t take might need to been cleaned in a tumbler.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you clean the coins or just put them in. Wash each one individual or what. First time to coinstar for dirty money.

I'd recommend you tumble them in a Loritone Tumbler. Tumble nickels and pennies by themselves; However, clad dimes and quarters can be tumbled together. Place in tumbler a handful of aquarium gravel, a little water and a few drops of lemon dish soap. Tumble at least a few hours. Don't use coinstar! You work too hard digging them only to be giving away up to 10% of each dollar. Buy paper coinrolls from Walgreens or Walmart or such. Roll the coins and cash them in for equal currency return, or deposit them in an account and let it build. For black silver jewelry, I recommend a short tumble with water, lemon soap and a handful of clean, coarse sand-cleans them up beautifully.

Although it requires more time, I seperate out pre-1983 pennies (copper pennies) and have been saving them. The newer pennies are cashed in. Of course wheat cents and silver coins do not get tumbled--best to hand clean or leave to clean later. Good Luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're not crusty, I just spend them as is. Otherwise, I tumble them first, then spend them. My formula for the tumbler is: vinegar, dry laundry detergent, water, and whatever grit you like and can get cheap.....sand, gravel, glass bead. What I'd like to know is, what everyone is doing with the real bad zinc cents....you know, the ones with holes in them or ones with chunks out of the edges?

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
Just took some last week to a CoinStar all i did was wash them pretty good,it only rejected a few pennies that were in pretty rough shape.Rich

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do pennies at Coinstar as its not worth it to roll all them, they can get my 25 cents for 250 pennies. The rest I roll myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread