How to Extract Gold From Scrap Electronics And Jewelry...

snowdog20

Feb 20, 2011
The following is at your own risk...
Reference; http://www.ehow.com/how_5718325_extract-gold-scrap.html

Gold is a precious, conductive, and pliable metal that retains a stable value better than many commodities. Its chemical properties make it useful for the manufacture of computers parts, electronics, jewelry and dental work. Some people find it profitable to attempt to extract the gold from these scraps, then refine and sell it. This complicated process requires chemical expertise and experience, as well as access to various chemistry equipment. However, with the right knowledge, experience and tools, you can remove valuable gold from computer parts, other discarded electronics and jewelry scraps.

Instructions

Things You'll Need:
Scrap electronics
Scrap jewelry
Rubber gloves
Rubber apron
Goggles
Nitric acid
Hydrochloric acid
Water
Stove
Urea
Sodium bisulphite
Buchner funnel filter
2 large heavy gauge plastic containers, one smaller than the other
Extracting Gold from Scraps

Collect any gold-containing metal scraps to which you have access, including jewelry, computer processors, old telephone wiring or gold tooth crowns. Keep in mind that outdated electronics are likelier to produce parts with a high enough level of gold to make the procedure worthwhile.

Obtain the correct amount of chemicals and appropriate size containers for the amount of scrap metal you wish to refine. You will need 300 milliliters of container capacity, 30 milliliters of nitric acid, and 120 milliliters of hydrochloric acid for every ounce of metal you intend to refine.

Apply all safety gear correctly before working with any chemicals. The acids involved in this process are highly corrosive and react strongly.

Add your scrap materials and the appropriate amount of nitric acid, as mentioned above, to the smaller of your plastic containers. Wait 30 minutes before adding the hydrochloric acid. Let the chemical reaction develop overnight to be sure that all of the gold has dissolved.

Filter the particles out of the acid in the plastic container by attaching a Buchner funnel filter and pouring the remaining liquid into the larger of the plastic containers. The resulting acid will be deep green and translucent.

Create a urea and water solution by boiling a quart of water and combining it with one pound of urea. Pour this mixture into the acid slowly until no more chemical reaction can be observed. This process raises the pH levels of the acid, thereby eliminating the nitric acid.

Heat a quart of water to boiling and add the sodium bisulphite to the boiling water in the ratio of 1 ounce of sodium bisulphate for every ounce of metal being refined. Pour this mixture slowly into the acid and wait for a reaction.

Observe the muddy separation that collects at the bottom of the acid container. This substance is pure gold. Extract the gold from the container by pouring off the acid using a filter, then rinsing and re-filtering the substance three times with distilled water. The result will be nearly 100 percent gold.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true and good information....I saw recently that 1 ton of cell phones has on average 150 grams of gold whereas the average commercial gold mine is happy to get 5 grams of gold per ton...

I will let you do the math on the money difference there... :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That process sounds nasty. I think i would defer to an electro plating process as a better method. Slower, but safer.
A ton of gold ore is only about a cubic foot but a ton of cell phones would probably fill a Dumpster and you have all that other junk to deal with.

OP
OP
S

snowdog20

Feb 20, 2011
From what I've heard, the old electronics, particularly computers contain a few grams. I'd try it, but it wouldn't be worth it here because everyone lives so far apart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread