What's new

How to Handle Others Detecting Nearby

Overkill Overkill

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2010
Messages
76
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
I guess the protocol for when you have others detecting nearby to where you are detecting is to keep a respectful distance away from one another? Are there any good 'rules of thumb' when encountering fellow detectorists?
 
Upvote 0
This is by far the stupidest thing I have ever heard of a detectorist say. Just being blunt. Now not only they cant hunt that beach, you can't and no one else can. I think some one posted here "use common sense"...maybe you didn't read that before you tossed the bbs.

Cheers...HH.

dingdong said:
Was told one day to get of owr beach buy acouple of russian guys with pulse machines so i left dont like trouble in brooklyn ny live in bronx came back next day left them agift of 40000 BB S scattered at low tide this will keep them diggin for a year or two so be nice
 
joeb1999 is right, it was the wrong thing to do, it wasn't a private beach those two guys owned, it's a public beach, you didn't just hurt those 2 guys, you hurt everyone who will ever hunt that beach with a detector..........
 
MT sadly some folks are ate up with the "greeds" -- they think like a 3 year old brat --mine,mine,mine non stop -- I sorta pity those poor folks they will never have enough to be happy , because they have a unending hunger for "money" and like a unstoppible cancer it gnaws at em non stop. -- and since they love "money" better than anything esle --they will most likely have few if any freinds as they will normally screw folks overin a heartbeat to make a quick buck.
 
joeb1999 said:
This is by far the stupidest thing I have ever heard of a detectorist say. Just being blunt. Now not only they cant hunt that beach, you can't and no one else can. I think some one posted here "use common sense"...maybe you didn't read that before you tossed the bbs.

Cheers...HH.


dingdong said:
Was told one day to get of owr beach buy acouple of russian guys with pulse machines so i left dont like trouble in brooklyn ny live in bronx came back next day left them agift of 40000 BB S scattered at low tide this will keep them diggin for a year or two so be nice
Personally i would never do that toss BB,s i was just pulling Overkills chain about the subject distance . Overkill will learn all in time Dd60
 
In some areas the local beaches are open to the public after Labor Day with no detection in the water till then. Guys say they are hired by so an so to hunt for a lost valuable and have to be allowed to hunt for it while the general public has to wait for after Labor Day. Swimmers have been known to toss split shot out in the water near Labor Day to give us something to search for. It is sad but this is the way silly people think they are getting one UP on someone.
 
Sandman said:
In some areas the local beaches are open to the public after Labor Day with no detection in the water till then. Guys say they are hired by so an so to hunt for a lost valuable and have to be allowed to hunt for it while the general public has to wait for after Labor Day. Swimmers have been known to toss split shot out in the water near Labor Day to give us something to search for. It is sad but this is the way silly people think they are getting one UP on someone.
For some unknown reason that makes no sense to me at all the bay beach's here were rotor tilled after the town dumped tons of chopped up aluminum chain link fence to help the erosion problem grrrrr i dont see any help that is going to do you cant walk 2 feet with out getting a pull tab signal senseless
 
I always give way to another hunter's area. If they are going south I go north. If there are several hunters which happens more often these days I give plenty of room. This past winter I worked my way up to a guy who had a sweet spot. I turn around and worked away. He came up to me about an hour later introduce himself and thank me for not crowding him.(As did another hunter earlier.)He then said he was leaving and that that was a hot spot he had dug 200 plus coins lots silver and a .50 walker.
I took my turn and dug 140 coins in about 2 hrs as it reached low tide. Several were silver.That's how it should work. If I see another hunter I wave but don't stop to talk as I only have so much time to hunt. If your not swinging your not finding!
 
I always bring cookies and milk.
 
i had a guy coming right at me on the beach with his detector.... i saw him getting closer and closer and as i was digging a coin spill which i was there for a a little bit....he came up right next to me and his coil went right over my right foot...!!!!
i was like what the @#!$#%&@ you doing ass-____ ?? he didn`t speak very good english and kept saying something about " too big" " too big"
i imagine he was talking about my coil...which is only a 12" and he had an excalibur with what looked like a bigger red coil then mine...but still was not smart to come that close..

so what if he had got a signal next to my foot?? you actually think he would have dug it right next to me ?? i think so - and he would have an excalibur stuck up his butt today.

i tend to stay away from other hunters...if i see one coming i usually turn around or shoot off in a different direction..some detectors make my machine(bh300) go crazy and others do not... but i would never get that close intentionally as this guy did to me.

once i was looking down daydreaming as i went along because the signals were slim.....and i about ran right into another hunter that was doing the same thing i guess...we got within` 10 feet from each other --- both of us looked up and went in different directions and didn`t say a word to each other.


the guy i mentioned going over my foot i still see now and then hunting CWB ... i take my mom with me sometimes and he helped her dig a deep find on the shoreline with his foot- scoop ...so maybe he`s a nice guy i don`t know .. or why was he even next to her??
he came up near me a couple weeks ago and asked if i had gold...broken english - so i think that`s what he was saying...doubt he was asking if i`d like some gold. ;D

there will always be someone out there thinking you`re on " their " beach and will cause you trouble just because they`re nut jobs.
so with that said " happy hunting " :laughing9:
 
I loved that "cookies & milk" retort........my kind of person.

Hunting on Waikiki beach once, I had a serious run in with a local nutjob, after simply saying [NY greeting]; "how ya doin"?

This quasi toothless, misanthropic mesomorph, unleashed an insanely scathing and hilarious bit of island vituperation, [accent and all!], and when finished, told me he was going to brain me with his scoop!
I replied that regretfully, I'd be obliged to wrap my new detector around his noggin as well...which I really thought was immanent!

After that episode, I've never forgotten to take my scoop. ;D
 
For me only issue has been dogs. I had one come at me twice! Second time I was locked and loaded with scoop outta water and ready to thump the mongrel cur if it got to close. I told the owner I am gonna hit the dog if it gets closer. I had other dog problems. I had a pug piss on my cloths too. All in one week. Dogs. Anyone get one of those whistles that keep them away?


Hank said:
I loved that "cookies & milk" retort........my kind of person.

Hunting on Waikiki beach once, I had a serious run in with a local nutjob, after simply saying [NY greeting]; "how ya doin"?

This quasi toothless, misanthropic mesomorph, unleashed an insanely scathing and hilarious bit of island vituperation, [accent and all!], and when finished, told me he was going to brain me with his scoop!
I replied that regretfully, I'd be obliged to wrap my new detector around his noggin as well...which I really thought was immanent!

After that episode, I've never forgotten to take my scoop. ;D
 
Just wear some pullups and a thong, They will stay away. ;D
 
Overkill Overkill said:
I guess the protocol for when you have others detecting nearby to where you are detecting is to keep a respectful distance away from one another? Are there any good 'rules of thumb' when encountering fellow detectorists?

I swear I remember you asking this exact question awhile back.
You will also need to do this while detecting too, breath in - breath out, repeat as needed.
 
It's the same post you read back in april mate lol...look at the date. It's just that catfish guy dug it up yesterday and so it appears here again!
 
Dano Sverige said:
It's the same post you read back in april mate lol...look at the date. It's just that catfish guy dug it up yesterday and so it appears here again!

Got it, didn't notice that date :icon_thumright:
 
ha...you guys are too funny...but its all true..life mding out on the beach is a whole other world...hh
 
If you are worried about other people with detectors don't go to Clearwater Beach. One day I counted 15 hunting in the water and a lot of others in the sand. Most of the water hunters are friendly , courteous and stay a distance from you to avoid interference. Some like to come over and chat.
 
Les West Central Fl said:
If you are worried about other people with detectors don't go to Clearwater Beach. One day I counted 15 hunting in the water and a lot of others in the sand. Most of the water hunters are friendly , courteous and stay a distance from you to avoid interference. Some like to come over and chat.

all i ever encountered at CWB was rude people with detectors.......they race in front of me to walk the same line i`m walking 50 feet in front of me....this happened twice the past 2 months. one guy came right up to me and gave me a weird look and shot off in another direction...most will detect right next you and my machine goes nuts!
Mumszie was the only friendly person I ever encountered at CWB. :hello:
 
When I was in Sarasota, I never hunted CWB. I went up there to give it a try once, but refused to pay for parking. Never saw another hunter down at Sarasota's beaches or Venice. Had as much fun finding shark teeth in my scoop as I did finding coins.

Bummer about Venice, I found a nice cut. Full of targets. First was a 1940's 50cal brass, most likely from WW2 training at the air base. Then I was forced out of the water by the life guards as a storm rolled in. Next day, that cut was filled in. :sad11:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom