How To Make A Good Whitetail Billet

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve seen a lot of beginning knappers acquire a shed antler billet for knapping. They will work okay on glass or high quality flint. The problems with shreds are several. First, most sheds have their working end at a 45° angle to the main beam. Once you shape the end, you don’t have much material of use before you hit the spongy pith. A much better way to utilize whitetail antlers is to obtain an antler from a skull. The extra material between the antler and the skull plate is called the pedicle. It’s good and hard and gives you more meat on the business end. This is one that I cut off of a skull.
IMG_4336.jpeg

Next, you need a way to work it down. I use an angle grinder mounted in a Work Mate vise with a coarse sanding disc.
IMG_4382.jpeg

I ground down the burrs on the main beam first.
IMG_4383.jpeg

Next I shape the end.
IMG_4384.jpeg

The next two pics show how much “extra” you get on the business end of your billet by adding the pedicle.
IMG_4394.jpeg
IMG_4396.jpeg

Now I can stain it with potassium permanganate and sand the high spots. A nice billet for the tool kit, but what is it good for?
IMG_4398.jpeg

A small billet like this is good for taking the last set of flakes off of a big blade. Or, flaking a small spall or biface of high quality flint. What it’s not good for: You won’t be testing nodules in a creek with it. You won’t be making big bifaces with it, especially from raw tough flint. A small billet is for working small flint.

This is a spall of Harrison Co IN flint. It’s arguably the highest quality flint in the Midwest. I’ll try to make a dart point from it with the antler billet, a pressure flaker, and abrader.
IMG_4400.jpeg

Start by abrading sharp edges. Crush the edge back to get to thick material. Then, pick out the natural platforms, grind them, and remove flakes.
IMG_4401.jpeg
IMG_4402.jpeg
IMG_4403.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg

Each set of flake removals will leave a ridge between scars. Follow the ridges, grinding platforms above the ridge.
IMG_4406.jpeg
IMG_4408.jpeg

You have two edges and the base on each side. That’s 6 edges to remove flakes from. Go after the thickest areas first. Remove flakes, then use abrader to knock off the overhang left after flake removal.
IMG_4413.jpeg
IMG_4414.jpeg

I’ve only used the billet and abrader up to this point. I’ve now run out of natural platforms. To proceed, I need to use the pressure flaker to build platforms.
IMG_4415.jpeg
IMG_4416.jpeg

IMG_4417.jpeg

Make your platforms below the centerline and go after thick areas. Work all 6 areas, going after the worst first.
IMG_4418.jpeg
IMG_4419.jpeg

I’ve now got the thickness down and ready for pressure flaking to finish edge and notching.
IMG_4421.jpeg
IMG_4422.jpeg

IMG_4423.jpeg

If you look at the flake scars on the above pic, you can see they run from upper right to lower left. These are the flake scars of a left-handed knapper. Me! A right handed knappers scars would run upper left to lower right. I’ve only seen a very few points I could attribute to a left-handed Indian.

IMG_4425.jpeg

This is all the debitage from making one 2” point.
IMG_4427.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4424.jpeg
    IMG_4424.jpeg
    734.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you plan on doing all aboriginal knapping with whitetail antlers, obtain the biggest one you can find. Get one cut from a skull with the pedicle. Whitetail antlers are generally too light for my liking. Bigger and heavier is better. One of the best whitetail antlers I ever owned was made by an old knapper from Carlyle IL. He drilled a half inch hole in the end, filled it with lead shot, then made an antler plug and epoxied it in the end. I made dozens of points with it until it finally split. He called it a loaded billet and it really worked well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an antler billet dug on the Willow Branch Site by arkie Stan Ahler, who was with the IL State Museum at the time. It’s very short and looks like it was from a shed. It was given to me by the landowner of the site, James Maddox from Niantic, IL. I don’t remember the time period that the site was used.
IMG_4429.jpeg
IMG_4430.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread