What's new

How to process heavy black beach sands?

Quinc

Full Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
232
Reaction score
616
Golden Thread
0
Location
CA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried our luck at beach mining over the holidays. And running this black sand is like running cold maple syrup through the sluice box. I wasn't sure what to expect so I brought my easiest to carry sluice. I am running real aggressive talon like matting. (Works awesome in the Sierras) I played with running more water but think I started losing gold. So my question is what setup is needed to be able to process a shovel full every couple minutes? Heck even a shovel full every 5 minutes would have been nice. My thought is to grab my biggest sluice, remove the rifles and run just v-matting for less resistance? Maybe a giant blue bowl out of one of those kids swimming pools? lol

Video of the day:


Look at all this black sand in the photo!
1767398255863.webp
 
On my 4 inch dredge I made a string of 3 continues rare earth magnets across my dredge at the head end of the sluice to help clean the Black sands out ! I now could remove 1 strand of these magnets to clean off the black sands while running and do the other stringers as needed, This helps clogging up my riffles and losing fine gold in the process ! It sure makes panning a whole lot EZer also ! I save the black sand to process latter ! And your comment on removing your riffles and replace it with ribbed rubber matting is how the club "Gold Prospectors of America" do it up in Nome Alaska !
 
Last edited:
Tried our luck at beach mining over the holidays. And running this black sand is like running cold maple syrup through the sluice box. I wasn't sure what to expect so I brought my easiest to carry sluice. I am running real aggressive talon like matting. (Works awesome in the Sierras) I played with running more water but think I started losing gold. So my question is what setup is needed to be able to process a shovel full every couple minutes? Heck even a shovel full every 5 minutes would have been nice. My thought is to grab my biggest sluice, remove the rifles and run just v-matting for less resistance?
Low profile v mats are a good option. Run long wide and almost flat. Sawtooth mats are likely better, as now they are often used to replace regular gold cube mats.
Cleangold sluices are contoversial but google Cleangold.com. Scroll down and watch the video "Cleangold in Nome". I have that one, it works.

Good luck
 
I know Mike and he would deeply appreciate your investment into the Gold Cube ! I had one and it works ! Great Idea !

I just happen to have a 4-stack that's going to be for sale in the near future. 8-)
 
I have looked at them. But I only see people slowing feeding them. I want to be able to throw shovel fulls in as quickly as possible. =)
Yep they run good with screened material . You could add a classifier at the feed end But you'd be losing fine gold if run like you want.
 
Maybe with the trommel attachment it would be able to handle the faster shovel rate? Maybe I will be able to find a used one before my next trip. =)

1767814371805.webp
 
Running your cons fast is a sure way to lose fine gold ! If you insist on running your material fast , then go to bigger equipment that will handle this volume of material as fast as you can shovel it into the device . a Gold Cube is for fines! you should be looking into a Hi-Banker for that amount of material ! JMO !
 
Maybe with the trommel attachment it would be able to handle the faster shovel rate? Maybe I will be able to find a used one before my next trip. =)

View attachment 2240070
Has Oregon changed the rules and now allow the use of motors on their beaches?
 
Has Oregon changed the rules and now allow the use of motors on their beaches?
Run a pipe and some hose off one of the creeks coming onto the beach. No motor needed. :thumbsup:
 
Run a pipe and some hose off one of the creeks coming onto the beach. No motor needed. :thumbsup:
Yeah. I've seen one at Nesika that feeds a culvert that runs under the 101 and emptys at about five or so feet high onto the beach...enough drop to run a cube. Actually there is another culvert about a half mile North of there but it is seasonal so low flow every time I've checked it. Other creeks I've checked all along the coast are all at beach level.
Good luck.
 
Last edited:
Yeah. I've seen one at Nesika that feeds a culvert that runs under the 101 and emptys at about five or so feet high onto the beach...enough drop to run a cube. Actually there is another culvert about a half mile North of there but it is seasonal so low flow every time I've checked it. Other creeks I've checked all along the coast are all at beach level.
Good luck.
Where I am there are a ton of creeks and streams that are flowing pretty well. Being I go up in the winter probably helps. Thinking this morning on the no motors on the beach rule they have.. I have seen more and more electric bikes on the beaches. So might have rig up an ebike with a pulley and use that to be legal? lol
 
To be safe , get a copy of "their " rules and read them ! There's ALWAYS some that thinks they know the rules but don't ! DON'T you be one of them !
 
To be safe , get a copy of "their " rules and read them ! There's ALWAYS some that thinks they know the rules but don't ! DON'T you be one of them !
I try to put my time and resources more toward the dont get caught. :laughing7:
 
You can make your own “clean gold” style magnetic sluice using magnetic sign material.
 
On the 4 inch dredge I "used to have " I installed a bunch of rear earth magnets inside a 3/4 inch PVC pipe and I made 3 of these to mount across the feed end of my sluice to capture the magnetic material before it interferes with the fine gold in my riffles . I take them out while running but only remove them 1 at a time so that I didn't interfere with fine golds action in my sluice. I never heard back from the guy that bought my equipment ! He lived up close to Chicago Il.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom