jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got an acid test kit for gold and silver.

I do not know how to read the results and I feel like an idiot.

It says if it dissolves the test line, then it is fake. Well, I just can't tell if the line is "dissolved" or what...

I posted a pic of what I tried. All the tests are supposed to be for gold. I put 1 drop of 10K acid on each line. The line with the 2nd drop below the first is actually silver test acid, which turned dark red.

Can anyone help me analyze these results, please?

Attachments

• IMG_2226test1.jpg
    IMG_2226test1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 4,817

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes some practice to figure out how to read the results. The one you tested for silver looks like the result you want (silver). The top left I would say not gold (at least not 10k) And the bottom one I'm leaning toward not gold as well, but it's hard to be sure from the picture. If I get a funny result where I'm just not clear, I'll do it again. I try to rub deeper into the same place I did the first time just to be sure it's not just plated with gold. I'm not an expert I've just been doing it for about a year and a half. Keep practicing. Take something you know is gold and test that. See how the line doesn't fade at all and compare to something you know isn't gold. Good luck.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again,
This morning I looked at this on my "big screen" so I could see better (not the little phone screen). Now that I see better, I still think the sterling is sterling due to the red result. The other 3 tests I don't belive are gold (10k or higher anyway) due to the scratches have partially or fully disappeared under the drop of acid. There may be some flakes or bubbles under the drops. With a loupe, you can see bubbles sometime forming or you can watch the line slowly disappear. If the metal you are testing is 10K or higher then the 10k testing acid will not eat away ANY of the line you scratched onto stone and no bubbles form. Hope this is helpful.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, the top right line is an earring marked 14K and it passed the magnet test. I will re-test it with acid again and see if I can get a accurate reading.

The middle line is a chain marked 925 but looks gold plated. HOWEVER, it failed the magnet test. It looks like it passes the silver acid test so I am still not sure - very confusing.

The left 2 lines top and bottom and the same piece that I thought was gold but I guess it failed the 10k acid test.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
The red looks like a passing grade for silver to me. Sometimes necklace or bracelet pieces can fail the mag test because of the clasps. The clasps will be made from a stronger base metal while the rest is PM. Was it sticking in the middle or just on the clasp?

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The whole chain was attracted to a magnet. It looks like there is a silvery metal underneath the "gold" plating. It is also stamped 925 in 2 places. I really think the 14K earring is real so I will try again with the acid and see what happens.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
jerseyben said:
The whole chain was attracted to a magnet. It looks like there is a silvery metal underneath the "gold" plating. It is also stamped 925 in 2 places. I really think the 14K earring is real so I will try again with the acid and see what happens.

I have seen many, many, pieces that are marked "925" or "Sterling" that would hit on a magnet. If the whole chain hits on a magnet, then there is zero chance it is gold or silver. I don't know how these outlaws get away with this garbage.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
jerseyben said:

I have seen many, many, pieces that are marked "925" or "Sterling" that would hit on a magnet. If the whole chain hits on a magnet, then there is zero chance it is gold or silver. I don't know how these outlaws get away with this garbage.
I seen alot of chinese people selling Fake tiffany at flea markets in NJ, I called Tiffany to let them know an they seemed uninterested... Dang jewlery has the id numbers an bags the whole works like real tiffany but if you know what real sterling looks like then you can spot these fakes pretty quick...

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
creeper71 said:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
jerseyben said:

I seen alot of chinese people selling Fake tiffany at flea markets in NJ, I called Tiffany to let them know an they seemed uninterested... Dang jewlery has the id numbers an bags the whole works like real tiffany but if you know what real sterling looks like then you can spot these fakes pretty quick...

The wholesale flea market at webster fl had the same things last week when i went and wandered around last week . But that side of the flea market has alot of nock off stuff . But my sisters like the nock off coach bags so its not all bad .

Ive found my local cash for gold a good place to get stuff tested i have questions on since they use the electric probe/clip things . Also gives me a starting point for price when dealing with others that want to buy my stuff .

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious on how the testing is going? Did you retest the earring?

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I gather, my acid is either mis-labeled or it has "gone bad". I took all my suspected gold pieces to a local pawn shop and they all passed the gold test.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I had some silver acid go bad. I was getting mixed results and thought I had bought some mislabled silver but when I retested with fresh acid it was all 925.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stinks (about the acid) but on the brighter side you eventually found out it was gold! I hope you didn't just get the test kit......

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what if the rubbed metal as in 10k floats in the acid and is not dissolved?

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jersey - it's not the acid - it's the stone. Those glass stones are terrible and always give that floater effect. Invest in a good natural stone and testing will be a breeze. With the glass, the streak does not adhere to the surface and easily floats off. With the natural stone it sticks and stays stuck unless eaten away.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My jeweler told me a cool trick for testing silver. If you take the 18K acid, and put it on the line, it will turn blue.

DSC_3884.JPG DSC_3885.JPG

Last edited:

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I threw my silver test acid away. I only use 18k acid and a slightly coarser stone to test silver. Yes there is magnetic sterling silver. My buyer buys it. Pays $1 less per ounce than non magnetic.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I threw my silver test acid away. I only use 18k acid and a slightly coarser stone to test silver. Yes there is magnetic sterling silver. My buyer buys it. Pays $1 less per ounce than non magnetic.

My jeweler told me that certain countries have silver that is slightly magnetic. I think it has to do with the other 7.5 metal that is mixed with the silver.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now use my 18k acid primarily for silver testing and my silver solution for gold, lol. The red silver testing solution is called Schwerter's solution, it can indicate for a number of other metals and if I'm not 100% about a possible gold piece I'll test it with schwerter's soln as gold (at least 10k+) isn't dissolved by it. I'm not sure if my 10k acid is off but I have items that will survive 10k acid but not the other, none of them turned out to be gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions