How to stabilize fossil (bovine) tooth?

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E0676CF0-8AB8-46D1-B640-43B318257D3B.jpeg

Hi all
I found a fossilized bovine tooth while creek walking several months back. While it seemed stable at first, it now has begun to develop some fine cracks in the mineralized enamel, and one small flake has already come off.

I was hoping to learn the optimal way to stabilize a fossil like this. What would you all treat it with?

I attached a photo if it helps.

Thanks!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
Until a member pipes in - search Google with "stabilize a fossil" (in quotes) in the search field. You will get a bunch of hits (including Vid's) with recommendations...

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I suggest a mixture of White Elmers Glue mixed with equal amounts of water. Some people use glue 1:5 with water. Clean the fossil well before applying. Apply to the fossil while still wet. This is not a professional museum quality material to use, but your fossil is not rare or very valuable.

Pirategirl

Nov 14, 2022
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 2042504

Hi all
I found a fossilized bovine tooth while creek walking several months back. While it seemed stable at first, it now has begun to develop some fine cracks in the mineralized enamel, and one small flake has already come off.

I was hoping to learn the optimal way to stabilize a fossil like this. What would you all treat it with?

I attached a photo if it helps.

Thanks!
Hi, congrats on the find! I use PVA from fossil shack (order online) as a consolidator on fossils & bones. It’s museum quality & non yellowing. You can get acetone at Home Depot. Make sure to keep in sealed glass jar. Happy Hunting! 0A7AE3E6-DDA7-4B0E-91BB-4B184D11EE04.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread