Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I live in Montana and see very few detectorists. I would love to be able to meet the ones in my state and be able to swap knowledge and stories. How do you start a club? And what should I know before doing that?

Hi Mike. I'll let others chime in with tips on how to "get the word out" and various club idea formalities, etc... But I just wanted to put this .02 cents in:

Starting a club these days, anywhere, is going to be difficult. The day and age of brick & mortar clubs went by the way-side back in the mid to late 1990s. The reason is: the internet. Nowadays people get their "socializing" on the net. Let's be honest: when someone wants to meet others of like-mind, they're no longer going to clubs. They meet local md'rs by seeing who's in their area, via forums. Or if you want to show off your finds, or reserch item ID's, etc... you do so on-line. When you want to learn the latest technology pros & cons, and see who's finding what, you do so on-line.

All these things were the function of clubs back in the old days. But now people get their updates, news, etc.... all from their lazy boy recliner. No longer a need to drive to a 1x p/month meeting to see who's in your area, where they're hunting, what they're finding, what machines they use, meet, etc...

So it seems that only very big cities, nowadays, have clubs left (with attendance levels down). All the small town clubs have mostly gone by the wayside.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Go to section titled " Treasurenet by Location". Good place to start. You don't need alot of members, just a few to make it fun. Check to see if there is anything on face book or meetup.com for metal detecting in Montana. Good luck.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply's. I can see that it could be tough. I do know in my state they have a competition hunt once a year for detectorists and gold prospecting. I may try that first.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out FMDAC The FMDAC - they may have some info for you. I assume they are still in business. It's not easy as others have already said. You need people who will organize the meetings and setup hunts for club members, etc. You will have to deal with the 80/20 rule - 80% will do nothing and 20% will do all the work. MDists tend to be lone wolves IMO, as the very nature of the beast and hobby. If you find enough interest - you can do it even if you meet in your house or a fire hall they let you use for free or very cheap. Have fun.
b1200.JPG from Atlantic City Hunt 1984.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread