What's new

How to tell a silver coin from a clad coin... Using only white printer paper!

Coins4Cheese

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
657
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I saw this youtube vid about a person showing how to tell a silver coin from a clad one.



I tried it with some tarnished 90% Kens, and it made the paper "grayer" in the area I rubbed it in. It even worked for me using a BU American eagle! What's the science behind this? Try it out, it's very interesting. If the silver fitness of a coin is lower, I don't know what would happen.
 
Upvote 0
Hmmm... I wish I could find some tarnished wrappers then I'd be a believer!
 
I couldn't get the video to work but I assume it just show a finger moving a coin from one side of the paper to the other. duh!
 
Piercesdad said:
I couldn't get the video to work but I assume it just show a finger moving a coin from one side of the paper to the other. duh!

Well, yes, pretty much. It actaully works, try it.
 
Re: How to tell a silver coin from a clad coin... Using only white printer paper

when would one need to use this method exactly? ???

edges first - then coin dates...and there's the no fail ring test.
 
Re: How to tell a silver coin from a clad coin... Using only white printer paper

myprecious said:
when would one need to use this method exactly? ???

edges first - then coin dates...and there's the no fail ring test.

True, but it's just another way to tell apart silver from non-silver.
 
Cherryman68 said:
Ummm why would you scrach an american eagle?

It's not really scratching, it's like you're using a coin to play scratch off tickets. You use that method, and you won't really "scratch" it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom