Huge Silver kind of Day... 1898 0 Morgan

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge Silver kind of Day... 1898 '0' Morgan

Hi all you shooters, been awhile since I posted, but where I live the weather has very dry, and the soil crazy, and the digging has been hard...so

Today I got out after work for a short hunt and it was a good one:super: I was detecting a yard that I had a hunch has been hit a long time ago because I had only found 1 wheat up until I found one hard to find target, a 1898 'O' Silver Dollar. not too far off the driveway, I get 1-37 type of numbers on my Etrac... which could say a lot of thing, but not what I was expecting. as one who has found a few Half's the last few years, this was one I wanted. but, I had no idea it would come like this.

It was about 6 inches deep, right under a nasty 2 inch root which was kicking my rear........There she was, flopped up with some loose dirt (I put a scratch on her,:ranting:), out of the hole. at first, I was dumb struck.....thinking maybe it was one of those Mexican Peso's or something, that wing sticking up left me clueless...lol, ah DUH! it wasn't until I picked her up did I notice that it was a Silver Dollar, and then I could make out her head, it was a Morgan! I sent the pics to a fellow shooter and he said what was the mint mark. after a bit of ice and Diet Coke, it was clear, that I had found a 1898 'O' Morgan Silver Dollar. what an awesome find, and I thought it might not ever come, but she's mine now. here is a short video and the pics, Thanks for looking, DirtDiga
30rrz1z.jpg

2r23wk0.jpg

Upvote 27

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a super tough find, and welcome to the silver dollar club!

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That has to be an awesome feeling.
Congrats to you! :thumbsup:
I hope you can still hear right after that one. LOL!

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find!! I know the feeling of not wanting to believe the find. I found a mans gold ring and a neclace a while ago and I was just waiting for someone to tell me it wasn't what I thought. Keep swinging

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't imagine finding such a huge silver coin!, amazing, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread