Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted with another detectorist on Saturday with the plan of splitting the time between the Baltimore County site I've been hitting lately and a permission of my fellow detectorist in the afternoon; that permission is north of the Mason-Dixon line. The morning was cold and cloudy with temps in the 30s and the farm fields were acting just like farm fields, yielding good targets in small quantities. The highlight for my co-detectorist was an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. I came away with a lantern part, large flat button, and a horse bridle rivet. I was told at the end of the hunt that "it was a miracle" that I've been able to pull as many old coins as I have from that site.

The expectation heading north from there that the permission site would be much more productive. An early lunch and then on to the hunt site to the start of an afternoon hunt that was to prove a profound experience. This site sits high on a hill overlooking the countryside to the west and north. Still cold ouside but warmed after lunch I started and the first good target I dug was a pulled Minie ball. Things got a little quiet for me but my co-digger was starting to dig one Minie ball after another.

We stayed pretty much in one area, no larger than an eighth of an acre and were really onto a small "hot spot". I recovered some relics that were unknown to me at the time but turned out to be a top to a match safe and the other, a latch to a cartridge case, then a harmonica reed piece. The hunt was far from over. I heard a good signal and looked to the ground to see a shiny lady Liberty seated looking up at me, just right there on the surface, no digging required, obviously turned up by the plow; the coin turned out to be an 1856 quarter.

There was a flurry of Minie ball finds after that that added four to my total for the afternoon. I had mixed emotions over finding the quarter, but this was not my permission and my host had not found silver on the day. That changed in short order when I went over to see a seated dime in the hand, also from the 1850s.

When I consider the relics I dug from that spot and that each one was very possibly in the hand of someone who served during the Civil War it gave me pause to think about those men, realizing that they may have been on their way to Gettysburg, or perhaps, were among the survivors on their way back, perhaps some never made it home. Either way, it was humbling to recover these.

Many thanks to smokeythecat for the generous permission and a day of camaraderie.
Civil War finds.jpg CWfindsB.jpg AgFarm.jpg

Here's the dig of the first Minie ball of the day:

Last edited:
Upvote 33

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and congratulations on the quarter

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Bass! My second seated quarter and 20 years younger than the first!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx metalev4! Yes, a hunt of memorable finds and a rare opportunity!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks jeff-gordon! If the car racing gig doesn't work out, there's always metal detecting.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Whadifind! Yes, what they saw and what they may have heard. From that distance it would have been the thundering artillery from Gettysburg.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Professor! I never seem to be short on the story. :happysmiley:

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Nick! My first ever campsite hunted. Found some Union camp bullets and a j hook in Baltimore's Patterson Park back in late 2015 and early 2017.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks seabee89! First time I detected in Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW! I've been researching this evening and learning of the strategic value of this location. The North Central railroad that stretched from Baltimore to York passed just west of this location. The "Country Gentleman" of July 2, 1863 reported Confederates tearing up track in Glen Rock, PA.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was for sure worth the drive, Seated for both of you guys, nice work! Congrats.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're now a seated quarter up on me! This means war! Hahah way to dig deep, as usual. Great post, greater finds.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Brad! Nothin' like a little friendly competition. :) That was my first surface silver find.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1774 Gold British full Guinea was found on the top of the ground, at the Atlantic Beach. Blew my mind. I have found quite a few items either right on top of the ground or barely sticking out of the ground over the years. Just depends on sand movement at the beach and if anybody either plowed or disced a farm. Let alone construction.

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The picture with the bullets exactly the way you have it would make an awesome display on the wall not a picture but those exact items arranged the way you have it in a case

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread