What's new

Humming noise from coil when it's wet?

scooter

Full Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2007
Messages
136
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.

I have a CTX that I purchased new and just recently have noticed that when the stock 11" coil is wet from dew or water that I can hear a humming noise coming off the coil? Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen and if it might be normal and I just didn't notice it before? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Happy Hunting,
Scooter
 
Last edited:
Hello all.

I have a CTX that I purchased new and just recently have noticed that when the stock 11" coil is wet from dew or water that I can hear a humming noise coming off the coil? Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen and if it might jet be normal and I just didn't notice it before? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Happy Hunting,
Scooter
Sounds like there might be a crack in the coil or at the connection 🤔
 
Sounds like there might be a crack in the coil or at the connection 🤔
Thanks for the reply, I will try and take a closer look at the coil and see if I can see any cracks or damage...
 
I had a question on another forum and thought I would add that you can’t hear it when you’re detecting, but I first noticed it when I brought the coil up to clean some debris off. It’s pretty loud, almost as if you can hear the almighty power of the CTX coming out of the coil lol. All joking aside my CTX still functions what I consider normally, just want to make sure I don’t have a coil going bad or something else?

Happy Hunting,
Scooter
 
Well I called Minelab customer service on my lunch today and they were super helpful. They said that the noise coming from the coil is normal and that they sometimes see it happen when they are testing units. They said keep an eye on it and if the detector starts acting funny or has problems to reach out to them again. Thanks Minelab :)

Happy Hunting,
Scooter
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom