What's new

Humpty Dumpty fell off of the Dump Wall

swizzle

Sr. Member
Joined
May 3, 2003
Messages
457
Reaction score
94
Golden Thread
0
Location
upstate ny
I found this glass Humpty Dumpty character in a town dump dating from 1870-1930. Any ideas on what he was? The glass is about half the thickness of a lightbulb. Very thin and fragile. Swiz
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5190.webp
    IMG_5190.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_5157.webp
    IMG_5157.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 435
That is a very cool find .. banner material there!

Don't have any idea what it was unless it is the top to a candy jar or something, but it seems too fragile for that!
 
Upvote 0
Here's a couple more pics. The one of the top looks like there might have been a spot for a hanger. A bit smaller then what I normally see for the hanging portion of an ornament but highly possible and most likely. The base is completely busted so it might have been part of a light bulb as well. I'm not sure how fancy they could get with lightbulbs back then though. I've looked at a bunch of different Humpty Dumpty ornaments and haven't found this one yet. He most likely had some paint on him and 80 years or so in the dump took it all off. I'd like to see a pic of what he looked like. Who knows, I may even try to repaint the little crack head. Swiz

I'll even add pics this time.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5209.webp
    IMG_5209.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_5214.webp
    IMG_5214.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 365
Upvote 0
it is a high probability that this is a xmas light bulb. They made them in all sorts of figural forms.
Also were made in light covers.
 
Upvote 0
I still would like to see some pics. Did they actually have figural lightbulbs between 1880-1930. I'd say it was in a layer closer to the 30's. Swiz
 
Upvote 0
light bulb or night light for sure!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom