What's new

Hunt after work. 3 eagle "I" buttons in one hole, 22 bullets, 8 flat buttons

matt092079

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2011
Messages
2,035
Reaction score
1,331
Golden Thread
3
Location
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt after work. 3 eagle "I" buttons in one hole, 22 bullets, 8 flat buttons

Ended up having an unexpected shorter day of work so my cousin and I headed out to our new spot. Last time I was there I found 4 flat buttons and an 1818 Matron Large Cent. So ya bet'cha I went to that same spot to see what else I could get! But I could not find that spot for the life of me. lol While walking to the spot I found a very small flat button, then another flat button about 10 minutes later.

Hit a VERY dry spell after that. Kept digging square nails in this highly mineralized ground. I finally got a good hit at about 8 inches with a 55-60 vdi. Turned out to be a dropped 3 ringer. I decided to head out of the field and go in to the wooded area. This was the RIGHT choice to make! My first signal right by a tree was a beautiful dropped 3 ringer...then another...then another...then an enfield. Nice little drop of bullets all right next to each other. Worked that area hard and the best I could...the tree had low hanging limbs and thorns everywhere! I managed another enfield and a 3 ringer under the tree. I started making my rounds around the tree and about 15 feet diagonal of the tree I found a nice eagle "I" button. Long story short, I leave the hole and find a mushroomed bullet and then come back around to that hole with the eagle "I" and get another signal. I pop the plug up and put my pro-pointer to it and DING DING DING! Two more eagle "I" buttons in that same hole. My first button spill! They are in EXCELLENT shape, too.

After that I hit another patch of bullets. All 3 ringers and enfields. I also found 8 buttons, piece of a harmonica reed. The one flat button has about 98% of the gold gilt on the back. Never found one like that. Couldn't believe how productive this hunt turned out to be. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
 

Attachments

  • 3-31-12-finds.webp
    3-31-12-finds.webp
    34 KB · Views: 208
  • 3-31-Ibuttons.webp
    3-31-Ibuttons.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 3-31-Ibuttonbacks.webp
    3-31-Ibuttonbacks.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 3-31-3ringdropped.webp
    3-31-3ringdropped.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 3-31-enfields.webp
    3-31-enfields.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 3-31-flatbuttonfrontgilt.webp
    3-31-flatbuttonfrontgilt.webp
    8.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 3-31-flatbuttongilt.webp
    3-31-flatbuttongilt.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 3-31-Ibuttonscleaned.webp
    3-31-Ibuttonscleaned.webp
    12.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 3-31-flatbuttondesign.webp
    3-31-flatbuttondesign.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0
Very Nice it looks like you are in a really good spot. Keep it up.
 
Thanks!
 
I'd take a hunt like that any day! Maybe you found a picket post?

Dig every signal at that site with finds like that!
 
I'd take a hunt like that any day! Maybe you found a picket post?

Dig every signal at that site with finds like that!

Excuse my ignorance. lol But what's a picket post?
 
Holy moly those are cool finds!!
 
Well you sure aren't having DIV withdrawls with those kinda finds. ;D What a great hunt! A lot of great lead and those "I"'s are awesome. :icon_thumright:Congrats and hit those woods before all the brush grows. HH!
 
A picket post is an area where a detached group of soldiers would stand guard/watch. They can often be found in places likes road or river crossings, approaches to a camp or fort, hilltops and other strategic locations, etc. Sometimes the post was manned for hours or day's sometimes for weeks and months and possibly years dependent on the location and troop usage and the site's importance.
 
A great hunt Matt. Check the cavities in those Enfields for a base mark. HH, Quindy.
 
A great hunt Matt. Check the cavities in those Enfields for a base mark. HH, Quindy.

Thanks, Quindy. What would that base mark look like? I haven't cleaned them out yet.
 
A great hunt Matt. Check the cavities in those Enfields for a base mark. HH, Quindy.

The cone cavity comes to a point Matt. The ones with base marks come to a "step" and the base mark is molded in. The "57" denotes for use in the 1857 Enfield rifle. There are various base marks and some are very rare to dig. HH, Quindy.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    103.4 KB · Views: 222
WOW!! Nice area you have there!! Save that field for later though. You are obviously in a good spot.
 
Thanks, Quindy! The others I have found they all come to a point. No "step" yet. Thanks for the info buddy.
 
Congrats man! As Sam would say you found "the motherload"! I have no idea why my ace 250 would not pick up those bullets? I guess i have to upgrade now!!!
 
Yep! Time to upgrade! I'm really excited about this site. We have barely scratched the surface and have already pulled out a bunch of great keepers. Probably better than last year altogether already.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom