Hunt for 1850s Gathering Spot: Latest Update

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Sunday I finally got back to the hunt, after a couple of weeks of not hunting.

I actually didn't look for the gathering spot much on this hunt, instead I just hunted around one of the two confirmed 1850s homesites that I have found while looking for the main spot.

I found the usual ferrous finds and shotgun shells--the reddish shell is a nice US Climax shell, made sometime between 1864 and 1938.

Just as I was leaving I finally found a coin--a 1924-S wheatie in great shape. No huge coin find, but significant in that it is the oldest coin I've found out there yet, significant in that old coins are starting to show after I have removed roughly 8,427 pieces of iron, and also significant because in 30 years that is the best condition 24-S wheat I have found and I was able to update a coin in my wheatie collection for the first time in years.

That said, I think I am done hunting out there until next spring sometime.

I've mapped out some really promising sites once the vegetation clears next year, and I can hardly wait. But until then I will be sticking closer to home. The rains have started again so the ground around here will be softer, and I'm anxious to get back to finding some decent coins. No, I probably won't be pulling out any large cents in the urban Portland area, but at least I know when I go out around here I will be sure to find *something*, unlike some of my days at my 1850s area.

Attachments

• 091706.jpg
    091706.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 560
Upvote 0
Well sweetcakes you could put my wheel picture up and use my name and none would be the wiser...they'd think I dug this stuff.

Now don't let these great finds go to your head now!

AWESOME!!!

Badger

Your finds are begining to look suspiciously like mine! I think I need to go check out my scrap iron mountain in the back yard! ;) Well ok....the wheats not mine...WTG

It's good to see that you found time to get out again.
Nice interesting relics!

Cool finds, congrats on the wheatie! I always love to see the assortment of iron relics and other stuff dug from old house sites.

Yep! Just like my hunts. It still is a joy though to get out and dig, dig, and dig some more. Good luck on your next hunt.

Burdie

I know what you mean....I miss my early clad days when I would come home with 50 coins. ::) Like you say, at least I found something. :) Well I guess I still do but boy going 30-40 minutes without a coin can try a man's sanity.

Mirage

Thanks everyone for all the great posts!!

All the support makes it easier when you don't find much. LOL! ::)

Just wait until next spring, though, I'm going to bring home some serious goodies, I just know it.

In the mean time, I'll try to bring home some moderate goodies. heh :-\ ;D

Congrats on the nice Wheat cent! I couldn't wait till next Spring, that's a long time without detecting, LOL! HH, Mike

Mirage said:
I know what you mean....I miss my early clad days when I would come home with 50 coins. ::) Like you say, at least I found something. :) Well I guess I still do but boy going 30-40 minutes without a coin can try a man's sanity.

Mirage
TRY ALL DAMN DAY thats how that 1891 indian poped up >:( :D

WTG- ML !!! Getting out all the Relics will ensure a reward in the spring!!
Can you wait that long?? I tilled up the garden last Night and was looking at the end where the top soil was peeled back when the Garden was put in. Weeds are 6 feet high on that side, but i have a feeling some good coins are somewhere there. Question is- weed wack this year or wait till spring?!? :(
I'll have to see how other spots work out- -I think this one is My reserve!! :)
Congrats Matt--- HH

Thanks you guys.

I really appreciate all the great comments and encouragement.

I won't have to wait until spring to hunt, since I can hunt around here in Portland. I'm just not driving waaaaay out to my spot anymore until it is more prudent to do so. I'm confident that many of the spots I can't really hunt right now will actually be easy to hunt come springtime, and so then it will be far more worth the long drive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back