000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg

Elliott_C

Sep 20, 2015
Monte Vista, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great find. This article sounds like a reference to the legend of the Ventana mine, particularly to the main cache. If so, it predates Temple Cornelius' book Sheepherder's Gold by more than 30 years. Perhaps this article was a source for Temple.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American Treasure Finders, Gary and Emily father and daughter crew were looking for this treasure and had some good videos that covered many years they filmed up there but its all gone looks like all that is left is a defunct Facebook page now. I ran into them a couple of times up on that mountain many years ago he had this idea the Rio Grande Pyramid was not it but Granite Peak and I thought that odd.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
There is always one man left from the massacre that buries the gold. So many stories have the same ending it's hard to believe them after awhile.

Agreed that this detail (one survivor) is a common thread to many of these lost treasure / lost mine tales, on the other hand if we did not have any survivors would we even know about it at all? It seems doubtful. Then there are the cases like the mysterious Thoen stone in South Dakota, which tells a tale of seven men having struck it rich (enough gold to load seven horses) and ended up getting wiped out to a man by the angry Sioux and Cheyennes after getting discovered by them. If not for that stone and the memory of one old warrior after the plains Indian wars were over who remembered how they discovered the miners (the Indians saw the muddy water in a small stream and thought it was beavers so they went to get the beavers for their fur) we might not know of it at all. Besides this, we know that many tribes would deliberately allow one man (or woman, child) to survive and get away, to tell what happened with an eye to strike terror into their white enemies.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Great find. This article sounds like a reference to the legend of the Ventana mine, particularly to the main cache. If so, it predates Temple Cornelius' book Sheepherder's Gold by more than 30 years. Perhaps this article was a source for Temple.

I was always under the impression much of Sheepherder's Gold was in reference to the French cache(s) of Treasure Mountain.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was always under the impression much of Sheepherder's Gold was in reference to the French cache(s) of Treasure Mountain.
I believe you are right but the location was around the Pagosa Peak area in Sheepherder's Gold and that does not jive with any of that legend that is told from different accounts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions