HUNTED Old School and Plowed Field - HELP ID PLEASE!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to an old school house location but don't have permission to hunt it's yard. I did detect a little by the road on township property but soon realized the area had been filled and leveled. I only found modern coinage with a wheat or two at extreme depths.

I went across the street where I do have permission to hunt and started with the grassy area next to a plowed field.

I dug some rusty junk and then suddenly I got a good non-ferrous signal 8 inches or so deep. I dug what I think is a lady's broach?

I continued to dig more trash when I suddenly came upon another good reading signal. It turned out to be a very old compact or something?

I also found a bead-like item that appears to be brass.

Next I went into the field and dug what I believe to be the point of an old plow. I dug a lot of general stuff like square nails, zinc jar lids (hate those things), sharpening stone (eye find while digging), broken toy plane, broken plow parts, a latch and hinge, fork, brass coat button, bent spoon (old), and finally I get another coin reading at about 9 inches deep. Two digs with my full-sized shovel and I have a 1890 Indian cent.

It's a good day but now duty calls me to work.

Please help with ID's if you can.

Thanks much!

Badger

Upvote 0
Thanks PBK for the ID work! Awesome!

Thanks everybody!

Here's a back picture of the better relics.

Attachments

• digs5-20-06d.jpg
    digs5-20-06d.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 552
Hi Badger

Looks like a good day out hunting,
nice collection of finds. Congrats on the IH!!

The item on the left in pic 1 appears to be a matchbook holder.
The bottom open to expose the striker and hinged to put in the book of matches.

I found one similar shaped to this but mine is sterling silver.
I'll post a picture of it soon. It's an interesting find.

Good luck to you.

Smiles!
BDoo

Boobydoo said:
Hi Badger

The item on the left in pic 1 appears to be a matchbook holder.
The bottom open to expose the striker and hinged to put in the book of matches.

I found one similar shaped to this but mine is sterling silver.
I'll post a picture of it soon. It's an interesting find.

Good luck to you.

Smiles!
BDoo

Hey thanks! I never thought about a match book holder.

Cool...I look forward to seeing yours.

the piece top left is a matchbook holder have one intact here ,still works!the round object on the bottom center is a form of US currency called a indian cent(penny) ;D

dekalb33 said:
the piece top left is a matchbook holder have one intact here ,still works!the round object on the bottom center is a form of US currency called a indian cent(penny) ;D

Thanks! LOL! ;D

Hey, anyday with relics is a good day....in my persperctive, that would be a fantastic day.

HH
-GC

Awesome relics Badger AND Love that Indian!

Nana ;)

awsome finds and i allways like the relics that you find. congrats

tinpan

tinpan said:
awsome finds and i allways like the relics that you find. congrats

tinpan

Thanks tinpan! That's a real compliment coming from someone who finds the stuff you find 8)

Hello again Badger!
Per your request to look at my item,
I posted my matchbook holder in Best Finds today.

I wasn't sure that it was proper here to post my pics in your thread so I just started a new thread in that forum as not to be stepping on your toes in this thread.

Here's the link to see it.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,36735.0.html

Best of luck to you my friend in all your searches!

Smiles!
BDoo

Boobydoo said:
Hello again Badger!
Per your request to look at my item,
I posted my matchbook holder in Best Finds today.

I wasn't sure that it was proper here to post my pics in your thread so I just started a new thread in that forum as not to be stepping on your toes in this thread.

Here's the link to see it.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,36735.0.html

Best of luck to you my friend in all your searches!

Smiles!
BDoo

Thanks Boobydoo! That's really a nice example you have there. I think they made these over a long period of time. I've seen silver ones from the 1890's on ebay.

I could restore mine but I think I'll just remove the loose dirt and leave it as it is for display.

Thanks again and you never have to worry about offending me. The old Badger has been through too much in life to be easily offended ;D

Best to you 8)

That's a well-written story to go along with your pictures. Now I know what a matchbook holder looks like. My Tnet lesson of the day. ;D

Thanks for your thought-provoking posts, Badger. You're a great mentor to alot of us people on Tnet. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back