May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the week Cru'Dad scouted a target field with a crop-mark. It was a bust so another field crossed off the list.
Today we returned to the field we started last week. We had high hopes, as last time had lots more targets than we expected.
We were secretly hoping for a Sceat, as we have have none this year & this field had produced a few in the past, not to be this time.
5 hours produced the following;

Tudor Button
3 Livery Buttons
18th C Silver Cuff-link
Roman Hair Pin
Sword Belt Fitment
Jetton
Charles I 1635/6 Halfgroat
A very cool Sword Scabbard Chape from circa 15th-16th C. Never seen one like it, I think it's the Coat of Arms of a Duke in the reign of Elizabeth I - Wow!:headbang:
UPDATE:
There are no other examples of this type of Chape record!
Thoughts from an expert is that its from the Reign of Henry VIII & may have been issued to a bailiff or other official working for the King.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 83
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 80
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 19
Will it be possible toI.D. the chape design ?

Excellent set of finds Cru. Great Charles and hair pin!

Those are some cool finds! Love the livery buttons, very nice. The scabbard chape is fantastic too. :icon_thumright:

That chape is cool.:icon_thumleft: But that's a lot of targets, and big one's at that...for a hunted out site. I think you have to much land.

SS

UPDATE from Expert;

''What a wonderful find, I'm very envious. The coat of arms is an easy one as it is the Royal coat of arms for the Tudor times, hence the rose at the base. To which Tudor monarch it actually is depends on the beast to the left as it isn't that clear, some possibilities on the following links
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_Arms_of_Henry_IV_&_V_of_England_(1413-1422).svg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_Arms_of_Henry_VIII_of_England_(1509-1547).svg
These arms were only used from 1399-1603 so that fits nicely with the date of the chape you gave so well done who ever dated it. This must have been an official issue, probably used by a bailiff or similar. A great find indeed, you just need to sort out what beast is on the left side to find out which monarch issued it.
I hope that helps enjoy this find a bit more.''

I can clearly see a Dog to the right & the beast on the left has wings. So I'm assuming it's a Dragon which fits nicely into the Henry VIII's Coat of Arms.

Last edited:
That chape is cool.:icon_thumleft: But that's a lot of targets, and big one's at that...for a hunted out site. I think you have to much land.

SS
Last year when we gridded 80% of the whole field, we only had limited success for our target period. 1 Saxon Pinhead. The last 2 outings has only produced 1 broken Saxon Strap-end. We do have too much land which is why we are so targeted. It's like you going Carp fishing & only catching Bream.:thumbsup: Is that success? Well kind of because you didn't blank.

Last edited:
Always amazes me to see your finds, I need to get a job to supplement my retirement to buy plane fair! Good work!

OH, my. Hard to contribute anything other than continued interest. What is at the top right of the second picture, the object that looks like a silver dandy button?

Did you know that these posts are actually influencing my career plans? I am looking at a civilian post at Lakenheath in six-eight years once our kids are on their way. My wife is a British lit teacher and Anglophile who was reciting the succession of monarchs to me well before I found this hobby, and for me the possibility of finding a thousandth of what you guys have is very motivating. So thanks!

OH, my. Hard to contribute anything other than continued interest. What is at the top right of the second picture, the object that looks like a silver dandy button?

Did you know that these posts are actually influencing my career plans? I am looking at a civilian post at Lakenheath in six-eight years once our kids are on their way. My wife is a British lit teacher and Anglophile who was reciting the succession of monarchs to me well before I found this hobby, and for me the possibility of finding a thousandth of what you guys have is very motivating. So thanks!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/08/us-close-three-airbases-britain
Ooops, Got it wrong, they are building it up, so good plan!

Last edited:

Its a silver plated late 18th C button. Nice to get its full plating for a change.

Thanks. It is a ways off, so of course a lot can change. I'm in behavioral health, so there is a bit of flexibility...I'm hopeful. Landstuhl and Naples are not bad backups.

That button is gorgeous, more relatable for the type of objects I dig.

Lakenheath is increasing in size. I used to live there. Interesting Chape! One may wonder if its former possessor lost it in a violent act. You probably
could find more information from the British Museum and I wouldn't be surprised if they have an intact scabbard. Nice find.

Lakenheath is increasing in size. I used to live there. Interesting Chape! One may wonder if its former possessor lost it in a violent act. You probably
could find more information from the British Museum and I wouldn't be surprised if they have an intact scabbard. Nice find.

Yeap, my initial mistake, I thought I had heard somewhere that it was closing.

All I know is that if it was an official issued scabbard with what could be consider part of the badge of office, then I bet he got in trouble for losing it.

UPDATE from Expert;

''What a wonderful find, I'm very envious. The coat of arms is an easy one as it is the Royal coat of arms for the Tudor times, hence the rose at the base. To which Tudor monarch it actually is depends on the beast to the left as it isn't that clear, some possibilities on the following links
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_Arms_of_Henry_IV_&_V_of_England_(1413-1422).svg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_Arms_of_Henry_VIII_of_England_(1509-1547).svg
These arms were only used from 1399-1603 so that fits nicely with the date of the chape you gave so well done who ever dated it. This must have been an official issue, probably used by a bailiff or similar. A great find indeed, you just need to sort out what beast is on the left side to find out which monarch issued it.
I hope that helps enjoy this find a bit more.''

I can clearly see a Dog to the right & the beast on the left has wings. So I'm assuming it's a Dragon which fits nicely into the Henry VIII's Coat of Arms.

That's incredible - probable Henry VIII? Another historic find Cru.

Now I have that Herman's Hermits song in my head.

Cheers

That's incredible - probable Henry VIII? Another historic find Cru.

Now I have that Herman's Hermits song in my head.

Cheers
Yes, Henry VIII period, used by an official of his!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back