What's new

Hunting for canadian silver coins.

Srg1

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I cant seem to find much infomation and dates of silver coins in canada.After reading a guide on this forum everything is american.Are the dates the same for canadian coins as they are for american?The guide said that half dollars are the best,does this apply to canada too?I just remember not long ago always coming across silver quarters,would these be the best for hunting canadian silver coins?Is there any extra tips or advice or maybe a guide anyone can share about coinroll hunting in canada.
 
Upvote 0
http://www.coinflation.com/canada/

This will help you on what dates to look for(silver is at the bottom of the page)

for quarters and dimes 68 and under are silver with some 67-68 having 50% and some 80% silver.

Keep a look out for nickels 81 and under they are .999 percent nickel and are worth 12 cents melt value.

Also any CAN cents 96 and under different years vary in the amount of copper in them. but are close to or over .02 a peice melt value.

Thats really all I know I wish I had a way to search CAN I would love to have a stash of those nickels lol

Good Luck!

-K
 
Thanks alot that is exactly what i was looking for.

Just one question,is it illegal to melt the nickel and copper from the coins to say make a profit?
 
Are you in US or Can? Far as I know in the US you can melt Can coins and prolly the reverse is true. I am not sure though. I am sure someone will be able to tell you for sure though:-)

-K
 
Srg1 said:
Thanks alot that is exactly what i was looking for.

Just one question,is it illegal to melt the nickel and copper from the coins to say make a profit?
If you melt coins then the metal is now unknown. You would have to pay to have it assayed. Unless you have a lot it is best to keep it in a "known" state, IE, easily identified as a coin. JD could probably tell you more on this subject.
 
I never realized canadian nickels were all "nickel" I just grabbed my bag of canandians I had and ran a magnet over them, amzing enough almost every nickel AND dime stuck to the magnet.
 
Goes4ever said:
I never realized canadian nickels were all "nickel" I just grabbed my bag of canandians I had and ran a magnet over them, amzing enough almost every nickel AND dime stuck to the magnet.

All Canadian nickels before 1982 are 99% nickel.

All Canadian dimes, quarters, and half dollars 1969-1999 are 99% nickel, too. They're all magnetic, but so are the recent steel ones.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom