Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting around to posting from yesterdays hunt. I have to thank Papa Bear for allowing me go hunt a house that was standing during the civil war and was part of the battle area. He had secured permission a while back. You could tell the area had been hunted before but what a rush to be around all of that history.
The property owner was an awesome old fellow that told us his family history and we also talked with one of the locals that gave us more of the history of the area . It was a fun morning.
Finds were not real plentiful but we were able to touch a bit of history. Papa Bear had the find of the day with an awesome automobile placard of some type and I found three round balls, a rivit , a piece of a watch, a 1918 wheaty and what may be a CW button but it is rough. I see writing on it but it needs a good cleaning . Any suggestions on button cleaning? I have heard lemon juice and I have used olive oil in the past which works fairly well.

Attachments

• SANY0527 [640x480].JPG
    SANY0527 [640x480].JPG
    41 KB · Views: 667
  • SANY0538 [640x480].JPG
    SANY0538 [640x480].JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 714
Upvote 0
Re: Hunting for the Civil War

Good times Birdman! Once I get word on those other locations I will let you know. PB

Very Cool BM :thumbsup: Can't wait for the next outing's find's!! Nice Save's :headbang:

looks like its possibly a NC coat

The button is soaking right now. If it is a NC button ,it will be my first CW button military. One from the southern forces would be a high point. :coffee2:

Having dug 5 North Carolina buttons myself, and judging from the the writing I can see. I would lean towards it being a North Carolina Confederate locally made button. be nice if it had a hornets Nest on it. And if the Shepherd is standing then you will have a real treasure there.

I found this pic on the net. This looks like it but she still needs some soaking .Looking pretty good so far. :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• B5415A[1].jpg
    B5415A[1].jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 525

Now you see, you had the coolest find that day! Well done!

Good Luck....we're rootin' for 'ya!!
Dale

Well congratulations, double check the backmark if it is blank depressed channel with a star in it then it is a Confederate local if it has a makers mark, and it should be S.A. Meyers Richmond in it the it is a pre war button, if I am not mistaken. There are two maybe three varieties of this button. One is Gold gilted and the other is Silver gilted and not sure on the third.

All 5 of mine were the silver gilted and blank channel backmark.

I love em all.

I can read "Carolina " on the top of it. :headbang:

WTG Bird. I hope your suspicions regarding the button is verified after cleaning. HH, Quindy

Good job Trent. Lets hope that other land owner green lights us..

Yeah that's definitely a North Carolina button, congrats Birdman! :occasion14:

Way to represent NC Bird!! :hello2:
Congrats,
MM

Trent,

Get a photo posted as soon as you can.

She is rough but it is a NC . I used the scanner but still can't seem to get a good pic. You can see more details in person but she needs to soak for a long time.

Attachments

• 001[1].jpg
    001[1].jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 483
Congrats on your first CS button. Where there's one there's usually more. Good luck to you guys!

Bill D (Va), BM knocked it out of the park on this hunt. He called it when he pulled it out of the ground. Well done Trent!

PB ,thanks again for taking me there .That place has a lot of history. I imagine the old house had a few bullet holes after the battle.I would love to go back in time to look the area over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back