Silver-strands, whatever "dire sounding" rules you can find about Ireland, through your research, just be aware that they may only apply to public lands, not private farm land with permission.
This is a common mistake made by some USA hunters too: They read dire sounding rules for state parks (for instance). And assume ...... "oh no, I can't hunt the city parks in my town, because, afterall, they are within the state, and the state-rules say I can't". And when you point out to those people that those
state-level laws, apply to only state land, they reply like this:
"
well I read it, and it didn't say it doesn't apply down to the county or city level, therefore, I must assume it applies to the whole state".
And ironically, in one case, one guy even took this "pressing question" all the way to the state archaeologist! Who promptly informed him that "yes, it applies to all govt. land, at
any level, even down to county and city". Doh! What did you expect, asking a typical archie, who hates MD'rs? This was a totally un-sustainable legal answer, but the dejected md'r didn't know any better.
Thus in your case, I'd read very carefully any laws for yourself, before going and asking bureaucrats. I bet you
can certainly hunt your own land (afterall, you're looking for that ring your wife just lost RIGHT??

)