What's new

Hunting in the loose sand

Crunchyhippo

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
292
Reaction score
611
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
I'm curious if anyone primarily detects in the loose sand at the beach where the people sit rather than try and search everywhere? I've found that most detectorists love to walk up and down the surf-line when there's far more real estate in the loose sand to search. Is there enough to be found up there to mainly focus on those areas? I know of some who only search waist-deep in the water, while others only seem to search the surf-line.
 
Upvote 0
I'm curious if anyone primarily detects in the loose sand at the beach where the people sit rather than try and search everywhere? I've found that most detectorists love to walk up and down the surf-line when there's far more real estate in the loose sand to search. Is there enough to be found up there to mainly focus on those areas? I know of some who only search waist-deep in the water, while others only seem to search the surf-line.
Oh boy. I read the rules and I hope this doesn’t violate them I don’t see where it does but please delete if so. Mentioning a u tub channel. Jon and his wife Amy hunt dry sand all the time. Jon will stray into the wet now and then. Check out soflo treasure finds. They’re not a competition to here. Just a channel sharing their hunts in southern Florida. Hope that helps.
 
Plenty to be found but odds are much better for gold and silver in the water and wetsand. One reason I rarely hunt the dry.
That's true, but at least I get signals to dig in the dry sand. The last time I was out in the wet sand, I walked for miles in the wet sand, it seems, without a single signal. It was both boring and discouraging.
 
I prefer the dry sand or around the camping spots and picnic tables.
 
That's true, but at least I get signals to dig in the dry sand. The last time I was out in the wet sand, I walked for miles in the wet sand, it seems, without a single signal. It was both boring and discouraging.
This EXACTLY !! :icon_scratch: 🤣
 
I'm curious if anyone primarily detects in the loose sand at the beach where the people sit rather than try and search everywhere? I've found that most detectorists love to walk up and down the surf-line when there's far more real estate in the loose sand to search. Is there enough to be found up there to mainly focus on those areas? I know of some who only search waist-deep in the water, while others only seem to search the surf-line.
Now there are two side to every coin, and this is my experience.. Yes I think you are more likely to find GOLD in the wet sand, because people swim with their GOLD on and it sometimes comes off. it also sometimes comes off in the dry sand..
But there are differences.. IN the wet sand, small trash like aluminum foil is so light weight that it tends to wash out or up on the beach.. I very rarely find aluminum foil in the wet sand.. Pull tabs tend to be similar in the respect that they are lightweight and tend not to be as prevalent in the wet sand, although they are there..

If your in the wet sand and finding a LOT of pull tabs, you probably won't find much else...
But if your finding coins (heavier metal pieces) then you are not as likely to be finding a lot of pull tabs because they are generally not where heavier stuff is...

(this doesn't apply with NEWLY dropped items)

I generally hit the wet sand first and walk until I'm tired of not finding anything, then I go to the dry sand, it's just that I get tired of digging small gum wrappers that might be gold...
But to be honest, I've been to MYRTLE BEACH several times in the last 10-15 years and I have found almost nothing in the dry or wet sand..
So me and my hunting partner have basically said we are steering clear of the beach for now because we can find a LOT more pocket change and possibly gold in ballfields and schools..
 
I go wherever the targets are. As a general rule, more targets in the dry sand, but, better targets are in the wet/water. I usually hit the wet and water first. If it's dead, I hit the dry sand. Two hunts ago, after an hour in the wet, I found a grand total of one zinc cent. Went up to the dry sand along a paved path and found almost $20 in change, 2 rings, two earrings, and 3 pendants, all in a 15 X 50 yard area. Sometimes it's just a matter of timing or luck.
 
I hit dry sand a lot when i was younger - im in my 50th yr
over the last 25 yrs i hunt water about 95% the time
I can say that ive gotten over 1000+ piece of gold and 90% of that is from water
 
Stands to reason since you're detecting in the water 95% of the time! :laughing7:
 
I search the waterline at low tide. After a really heavy rain storm I search the bottom of the dunes. If neither of those conditions exists and it is a fairly empty beach I detect from the foot of the dunes to the waterline and then back up. Usually I'll drag my scoop a little every other trip to stay on course. On the Treasure Coast lots of the salvage from the 1715 fleet was carried up into the dunes and buried. Check out Terry Shannon's videos. Hard to argue with success.
 
Dry just has so much more trash. Just depends tide and weather if I’m in the water. Always check watered edge but if its all sanded in .better off deeper or up on dry
 
For me, it really varies, depending on conditions and how I'm feeling that day. I've found gold rings in the dry, found them in the wet. I've found plenty of trash in the dry, but also find trash in the wet, usually pieces of iron or metal from boats/ships, all kinds of metal objects can wash up, the heavier the metal, the better the odd's it'll be in the wet. If I start finding fishing sinkers/weights in the wet, I'll stop and start a tight grid, because if heavy sinkers are there, other heavier objects like gold rings can be there as well.

If the tide is high, I'll work the dry, usually the towel line between lifeguard stations. Once the tide starts going out, I'll start at the top of the wet, work the wet parallel for a bit, then will turn around, and start working my way back a bit lower down on the second pass, following the tide as it goes out. That said, there are also times that I just don't feel like getting wet or may not have a lot of time to hunt, so I'll stay dry by hunting the dry, lol.

In my experience, there's usually less competition in the wet/water than on the dry, at least that used to be the case. Anyone with any type of metal detector can work the dry, but not all detectors can handle the wet/water. 10 years ago, I could pretty much count on being the only detectorist on the wet/water with my Minelab Sovereign, as it's a BBS SMF detector, like the Excalibur, and can handle the wet/water. But nowadays, every manufacturer has a slew of SMF detectors in their lineup, so more and more detectorists now have the capability of working the wet/water. Not all want to get wet, and experience counts, but chances are good that at least they have a detector that can handle the wet/water.

Lastly, targets in dry sand can be located all over the place, sometimes there's no rhyme or reason as to where they're found. But working the towel line at least increases the chance of finds due to the heavier concentration of people located in a specific row. But in the wet sand, you can start to see clues and find a target line. For instance, I find a quarter, then keep walking parallel to the beach and find another quarter/coin, walk a bit more, find another coin. Once you find a few coins or targets in the wet, look back to see the previous holes you dug, and you'll typically see that all/most of the holes are in a fairly straight line. That indicates that targets of that specific size and weight should be located in the wet in that general vicinity. You may find pennies at the high tide line/start of the dry, further down the wet you might start finding nickels, further down some more and you might start hitting quarters. Lighter objects tend to get pushed up higher, heavier objects tend to stay closer to the water in the wet, not always, but just a general observation.
 
For me, it really varies, depending on conditions and how I'm feeling that day. I've found gold rings in the dry, found them in the wet. I've found plenty of trash in the dry, but also find trash in the wet, usually pieces of iron or metal from boats/ships, all kinds of metal objects can wash up, the heavier the metal, the better the odd's it'll be in the wet. If I start finding fishing sinkers/weights in the wet, I'll stop and start a tight grid, because if heavy sinkers are there, other heavier objects like gold rings can be there as well.

If the tide is high, I'll work the dry, usually the towel line between lifeguard stations. Once the tide starts going out, I'll start at the top of the wet, work the wet parallel for a bit, then will turn around, and start working my way back a bit lower down on the second pass, following the tide as it goes out. That said, there are also times that I just don't feel like getting wet or may not have a lot of time to hunt, so I'll stay dry by hunting the dry, lol.

In my experience, there's usually less competition in the wet/water than on the dry, at least that used to be the case. Anyone with any type of metal detector can work the dry, but not all detectors can handle the wet/water. 10 years ago, I could pretty much count on being the only detectorist on the wet/water with my Minelab Sovereign, as it's a BBS SMF detector, like the Excalibur, and can handle the wet/water. But nowadays, every manufacturer has a slew of SMF detectors in their lineup, so more and more detectorists now have the capability of working the wet/water. Not all want to get wet, and experience counts, but chances are good that at least they have a detector that can handle the wet/water.

Lastly, targets in dry sand can be located all over the place, sometimes there's no rhyme or reason as to where they're found. But working the towel line at least increases the chance of finds due to the heavier concentration of people located in a specific row. But in the wet sand, you can start to see clues and find a target line. For instance, I find a quarter, then keep walking parallel to the beach and find another quarter/coin, walk a bit more, find another coin. Once you find a few coins or targets in the wet, look back to see the previous holes you dug, and you'll typically see that all/most of the holes are in a fairly straight line. That indicates that targets of that specific size and weight should be located in the wet in that general vicinity. You may find pennies at the high tide line/start of the dry, further down the wet you might start finding nickels, further down some more and you might start hitting quarters. Lighter objects tend to get pushed up higher, heavier objects tend to stay closer to the water in the wet, not always, but just a general observation.
The next time I'm out, I think I'm going to go in the water and walk perpendicular to the beach instead of parallel to it. Reason being, virtually all water detectorists go parallel to the beach, and I'm in a heavy vacation area where there's always several out hunting. So, if I do it perpendicular, I won't be doing what they're doing, so I may get lucky.
 
The next time I'm out, I think I'm going to go in the water and walk perpendicular to the beach instead of parallel to it. Reason being, virtually all water detectorists go parallel to the beach, and I'm in a heavy vacation area where there's always several out hunting. So, if I do it perpendicular, I won't be doing what they're doing, so I may get lucky.
I'll do that sometimes as well. Usually, I'll start walking a parallel zig zag on the wet, moving left up to the dry, then moving down the wet on an angle, then back up. That allows me to cover more territory quicker than trying to start out with a tight grid. The idea is to quickly move around until you find the first few targets.

That's when you can look back at the holes you dug to see the target line, i.e., where in the wet targets of certain sizes & weights are found. Once you can see a target line forming, that's a good time to start hunting parallel along that line, or maybe conduct a small & tighter zig zag along the target line, as some targets might be up a bit higher, some a bit lower, but the target line will at least give an idea/visual of where the waves & water action has been depositing targets.
 
Stands to reason since you're detecting in the water 95% of the time! :laughing7:
been detecting since 1975 age 12
i had an old land machine waterproof to hunt fresh water in 1980
i just played around a little with it in waist deep water - i did get some silver & gold
fresh water spots were virgin (salt waters even more so back then)- if i only had machine i have now - I would seriously be a millionaire
I bought my actual 1st water machine in 1992 - Whites PI - Im from MA. - i bought it in Feb. 92
fresh water spots were frozen - i couldnt wait - April i got in breaking thru a ice covered pond
I put on 4 layers of clothing thinking it would keep me warm for a little while
I was out waist deep and 3rd target was a big gold signet ring - that warmed me up -
not physically but mentally. Couple of hits later got a big silver ring...nice!
Long story short - i stayed in bout an hour - got hyperthermia and was shaking so bad could not put
my car key in door. Wife yelled at me when i got home - she was a nurse and yelled at me
"you could die"!
So i was land hunter 99% first 17 yrs ...then was land 90% water 10% ...then after 2000
water 90% land 10%
 
I started in 1970 at the beach. I didn't have a waterproof detector back then, in fact, the coils weren't even waterproof, so, wet sand and water didn't work at all with my old BFO machine. I didn't care at the time as I was finding so many coins (half silver) in the dry sand, I was making more detecting than at my day job! I didn't get a good water machine until I got my first Excalibur 20 years later. Had may other machines in the interim, including a Compass, and lots of White' machines. I tried some PI machines, but, too much junk to suit me. The Excal brought me into the Minelab fold from then on.
 
been detecting since 1975 age 12
i had an old land machine waterproof to hunt fresh water in 1980
i just played around a little with it in waist deep water - i did get some silver & gold
fresh water spots were virgin (salt waters even more so back then)- if i only had machine i have now - I would seriously be a millionaire
I bought my actual 1st water machine in 1992 - Whites PI - Im from MA. - i bought it in Feb. 92
fresh water spots were frozen - i couldnt wait - April i got in breaking thru a ice covered pond
I put on 4 layers of clothing thinking it would keep me warm for a little while
I was out waist deep and 3rd target was a big gold signet ring - that warmed me up -
not physically but mentally. Couple of hits later got a big silver ring...nice!
Long story short - i stayed in bout an hour - got hyperthermia and was shaking so bad could not put
my car key in door. Wife yelled at me when i got home - she was a nurse and yelled at me
"you could die"!
So i was land hunter 99% first 17 yrs ...then was land 90% water 10% ...then after 2000
water 90% land 10%
I dont have pics of finds from 1975-1995...wish i did (i have couple of good coins - everything else was
sold, given away or donated) here is a pic from 1995-2004 of silver and gold
would say about 90% is from water
this was only pretty much hunting on weekends and in warmer months - after 2005 i bought
a cold water suit and could hunt year round
1999-2004 sil.gold.webp
 
I dont have pics of finds from 1975-1995...wish i did (i have couple of good coins - everything else was
sold, given away or donated) here is a pic from 1995-2004 of silver and gold
would say about 90% is from water
this was only pretty much hunting on weekends and in warmer months - after 2005 i bought
a cold water suit and could hunt year round
View attachment 2211240
There"s an old say... apparently true... if God had meant for you to have stuff, you would have been born with pockets ... 🤣
 
I dont have pics of finds from 1975-1995...wish i did (i have couple of good coins - everything else was
sold, given away or donated) here is a pic from 1995-2004 of silver and gold
would say about 90% is from water
this was only pretty much hunting on weekends and in warmer months - after 2005 i bought
a cold water suit and could hunt year round
View attachment 2211240
Can you even imagine the value of this at todays Gold and Silver prices ... 😲
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom