What's new

Hunting schoolyards and ballfields

Dan Hughes

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2008
Messages
472
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
Location
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
My latest podcast (radio show you can listen to on your computer whenever you want) is about how to find things other treasure hunters have missed in old schoolyards, and tips on the best places to hunt in ballparks and school playgrounds.

The show lasts exactly six minutes, and you can hear it by clicking on the POD icon here:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

Please leave a comment here with suggestions for future shows.

Thanks!

---Dan Hughes
 
not bad, some good info
 
Cool show!

Ball fields, where ever the girls softball tournaments are held and did you mention soccer fields?

Gotta check the bases where slide-ins happen and the outside of the baselines at the edge of the outfield. This is where gloves come off when the fielders are coming in at inning's end. Benches also but that's tight detecting due to close metal proximity. It's almost necessary to find some kind of large pinpointer or very small coil to use there. You will want to dig all the signals there out of the ground.
 
Bummer it would not open on my computer....Matt
 
Lowbatts said:
Cool show!

Ball fields, where ever the girls softball tournaments are held and did you mention soccer fields?

Gotta check the bases where slide-ins happen and the outside of the baselines at the edge of the outfield. This is where gloves come off when the fielders are coming in at inning's end. Benches also but that's tight detecting due to close metal proximity. It's almost necessary to find some kind of large pinpointer or very small coil to use there. You will want to dig all the signals there out of the ground.

Doing the softball fields around here would be wasting time. The girls are not allowed to wear jewelry, so most remove it at home before even coming to the field. As far as money coming out of pockets when they slide into base, they wear shorts with no pockets. My daughter and niece both play softball and niece is on a tournament softball team.

Sue
 
That's mostly true here also Sue, but there I make some good finds at out huge sports complex around here.

Unfortunately some our soccer fields were layed with fill from our downtown area rehab and the old items may well have sifted deep and the large items tend to limit sensible hunting to surface only. But we still get gold and silver there.
 
I plan on hitting the baseball fields. I know around the bleachers and where people sit there should lots of money. It might not be old money, but money is money. I know someone that detected the same area over 10 years ago and him and a friend walked away with over $100.00 each.

Sue
 
the "practice" fields is where the money is :tongue3:


where i live they have seperate areas to practice....so they dont "ruin" the good fields.....especially soccer
 
mlayers, Try installing Quicktime on your computer. It opened in that with mine.
 
VERY INTERESTING. I WOULD TRY THAT. THANKS. :thumbsup:
 
SC_hunter said:
mlayers, Try installing Quicktime on your computer. It opened in that with mine.

I absolutely can't stand Quicktime, is there any other way to play it?
 
Zym said:
SC_hunter said:
mlayers, Try installing Quicktime on your computer. It opened in that with mine.

I absolutely can't stand Quicktime, is there any other way to play it?

I've added online players to each program, so you don't have to download anything now. Just click on the pink button:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

---Dan Hughes, treasuremanual.com
 
When I first started metal detecting I had a Bounty Hunter and my first few hunts were at the local little league ball parks where I use to coach baseball. You would not believe the number of quarters I found , especially behind the backstops. The strange thing is, I never found a penny under the bleachers! They were all aluminum and the interference was horrendous. But I still see posts where people are finding things under the bleachers. Never found much out on the actual ball fields themselves, just along the peripheral areas. My second hunt out I went to a cement outdoor basketball court and found a 24" 14k gold necklace. My BH didn't pick up the necklace but hit on a penny that was on top of it. I saw the end of it sticking out of the dirt when I dug the penny, so I started pulling on it and it just kept coming and coming as my eyes got bigger and bigger! My best find to date. Monty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom