watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the amount of heat (90?s+) and high humidity we?ve had in the burbs near Chicago I?ve detected only twice this August. Since it?s been so hot, hunting the shadows of the trees was the most practical option.

My first August hunt was three weeks ago in a backyard of a 1900?s permission property. I had been to this backyard before but it was always overgrown or saturated with standing water but when I got there for this hunt, the ground conditions were much better than I expected. The majority of my targets included nuts, nails and the usual trashy items but the farther I got away from the house, my recoveries started to improve. Those pictured include the top half of a bicycle bell, part of a brass drawer pull, a Victorian broach and belt buckle. The obvious star of my hunt was the German silver pocket watch (over 10? deep). . . which I thought for sure was going to be at least a silver quarter or half-dollar on my NOX. What I found most interesting about the watch was the unusually shaped copper insert piece which appears to have been cut and soldered into the back. Maybe to replace a damaged portion on the watch?s back? Or???

attachment.php

attachment.php

My last hunt (last week) was at an old ball field where I?ve hunted quite a bit during the past 8 years. I really wanted to hunt the field area where I?ve had the most success but it was just too HOT to be in the sun. So instead, I hunted within the shaded areas of trees that were planted in the 1970?s. I never really had much luck there in the past but, I was working my way to an air-conditioned car. After a few nice-sounding rusted nails, 3 toasted wheats from the 1940?s and a 1946 Rosie, I heard a quick, very nice target tone (no I.D. numbers) and after 11? of digging, I recovered my oldest Barber (no mint mark) of the year. I was happy, so I called it a day.

attachment.php

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• _DSC5881.JPG
    _DSC5881.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 278
  • _DSC5882.JPG
    _DSC5882.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4477.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Upvote 23

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a choo choo train on the back of the watch. Nice finds.

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gene!!! thats it. Now I can sleep at night.
Any relation to someone named Forschach? (just kidding)

Thanks!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds indeed!

Well done, and all the best,

Lanny

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!! I love the Victorian pieces!! Thanks for sharing!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds- Congrats! That pocket watch is unique!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice looking finds. I like that Pocket Watch and Barber.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread