Hunting with Guzz

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met up with Guzz at about 8:30am this morning at a beach in the Sarasota area. At our morning briefing he described the beach and water as clean. Entering the water we went separate ways. Within the 1st 75 ft,I got a weak signal. I started digging with a Sunspot scoop which in my opinion is a great scoop for targets that are 10in or less. However, by the time I dug the target I was close to 20 inches and as I suspected for the last 6 inches of digging it turned out to be the bottom of a beer can. Time spent 15 minutes. As I made my way further down the beach I heard a very very faint signal. After digging for 10 or so minutes, Guzz was close enough that I called him over,asked if I could borrow the good old Diamond Head scoop. After I dug 5 or 6 more scoops Guzz being the nice guy he is,offered to help. We were in waist high water and already when Guzz stood in the hole to dig he was chest deep (see pic below)....as we entered the 20 min mark Guzz was chin deep when standing in the hole. (see pic below) By then he was getting tuckered out and wanted to hunt. I told him I would dig until sunset if I had to. 5 or 6 more scoops and up came the target, not the bottom of a beer can this time. The whole DARN BEER CAN. I judged the hole to be over 30 inches deep. I dug several more beer can bottoms before we took a sandwich break. If Guzz ever tells you that this will be an easy beach to hunt, run the other way...tongue and cheek... My wife and I had a great time....rdi

Attachments

• Guzz digging.jpg
    Guzz digging.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 295
  • Standing in the hole.jpg
    Standing in the hole.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! That was me the other day. I dug probably 5 of them...and all deep...IT SUCKED!!!! But I would rather be metal detecting, digging crap than behind the desk at work.

Rdi, Guzz took you to the beer can beach....he's holding out on you, have him take you to the gold ring beach, the one that he posts all of those beautiful finds. (just joking with you Guzz)

The best ring I ever found was mixed with garbage; well worth digging.

HH

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if Guzz went much deeper you would have to call him BOB. Been there and know how it is. Water looks great there.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Bob and Fay , Thanks for a great time and Fay , You make a Mean samich :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. that was the best thing I found all day was in Rdi cooler ;D ;D ;D . Wish we could found a ring or 2 , But Maybe next time .. Glad you all made it home safe .. Guzz

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Usually a beer can gives off a really wide signal oppose to a narrow signal for a coin or ring. I've dug my share of beer can bottoms with my big scoop and if I can't get it within a few scoops, I'll pass on it as junk.
If you hunt Lido Beach much, you'll find .50 cailber cartridges and bullets from time to time. Lido was a gunnery target area during World War 2 when the erected plywood targets in the form of German tanks and trucks and our flyboys would fly down the beach in their P-51's and P-47's strafing these targets. Those shell casings give a good brass signal and they are deep but are usually found on the dry sand areas or in the surf line after a bad storm. :wink:

OP
OP
rdi

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLauthor.........You are right about the beer can....but in this case 2 different detectors were fooled,once I started digging and realized it was probably a can I was bound and determined to dig it up (If you are going to be dumb you gotta be tough) I haven't found 50's at Lido Beach mostly coins, few rings and gold chain, I've never been to Venice beach area that I don't come home with a pocket full of 50 cal. balls and cases. You can find 50's up and down Longboat Key as it was used as a gunnery range also....rdi

OP
OP
rdi

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guzz...we went up to the park like you suggested. The water was great. I found 4 gold rings and 2 platinum engagement rings......NOT!!!! but did come home with over $2.00 in clad,which is better than being skunked. Guzz, you and I have created a monster. I couldn't get Faye out of the water. Even the big fish and those huge sting rays didn't discourage her. Now that she is in the water and not on the beach my toy car collection will go to hell .....Faye & I both really enjoyed our time with you and look forward to doing it again. We will probably have a sandwich or 2 for you...rdi

PS... did you get CZ 21 yet ????

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Had a ball with you guys , Will be sure to do it again ,,june 28th for sure .. I did get the Cz21 last night about 6 pm... Haven't had a lot of time to go through it . It seems to be as gravedigger describe its in brand new condition and works fine . Its really no different than the cz20 few changes only. If it performs as well as the CZ 20 its a homerun for me ,,, also have an anderson straight shaft coming... I'll take it out tomorrow for the first run... guzz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread