Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is epic today in the keys very sunny and calm. We got the king tides also so if a couple high king tides coincide with storm surge they truly could have an epic erosion event on the treasure coast. Were feeling much better down here but we are shuttered up in case of a last second dip south. Stay safe folks !!!

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad some of you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I did as threatened. I charged up my 12 volt car battery, which is not in a car, it normally runs my gold wheel. Took my hammer drill and put a hole through the concrete block to put a permanent discharge up for a 750 gph battery powered sump.

All I have to do now is nothing! Detecting tomorrow! Only the beach this time of year, the yellow jackets are chasing anything that moves, and a lot of stuff that doesn't move! They attacked my black garden cart this am.

I like the idea of the battery op sump pump. Did you put a length of small PVC pipe thru your drilled hole and pack hydraulic cement around it? Be sure your battery has been load tested (some battery places do this for free). When its time to replace it, consider a gel-type deep cycle that would be favored by fishermen for battery op electric trolling motors. I think they look for the same qualities in a battery that would be good for you. Of course, discuss with a battery dealer who understands your battery needs.

Our storms are dumping much more rain than they did in the past and house gutters have not kept up. Gutters & downspouts are just too darn small for these storms. And then they usually dump right onto the ground beside the foundation rather than into a french drain or infiltration pit. At the least, take a good look at the grading around the house to see if stormwater flows toward the house. I need to rent a small backhoe to change the flow of stormwater. Its amazing what you can rent with a credit card!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a piece of CPVC through the wall and cemented it. All is done now. That battery will run the pump for days, but it won't rain for days. Not here most likely.

The battery one is my third backup system.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad some of you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck to all of you in the path. As slowly as this hurricane is moving, it still looks like predictions at this point are not very reliable. There is a relatively new statistical discipline called "uncertainty analysis" that I wish I knew more about.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
175 MILES PER HOUR WINDS! Good grief!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a piece of CPVC through the wall and cemented it. All is done now. That battery will run the pump for days, but it won't rain for days. Not here most likely.

Probably not from this storm, but you are now ready anyway...

Did you plug the ends of the pipe to keep out critters? The cats would prefer that you did not.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
175 MILES PER HOUR WINDS! Good grief!

Sheesh...and here I've been waiting for just 2 days of 15-20 from the NW to blow enough sand off our beaches for a fossil hunt...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the 11 am report came in. Winds are at 180 mph. I hate 35 MPH winds.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mixed up. Gulf is west, Lake Michigan is east.

My Pops lives in south west FL. I called him yesterday and asked him if he was going to run. His reply was "We ran already"

My brother lives less than a mile away. That stupid Yankee sibling of mine rode out the relatively mild Irma and probably thinks he can go kiteboarding durring 100mph winds. I hope he can. I hope he doesn't.

Last edited:

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Pops lives in south west FL. I called him yesterday and asked him if he was going to run. His reply was "We ran already"

My brother lives less than a mile away. That stupid Yankee sibling of mine rode out the relatively mild Irma and probably thinks he can go kiteboarding durring 100mph winds. I hope he can. I hope he doesn't.

Once one goes through a cat 4 -5 hurricane they will never do it again... believe me cuz I know...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread