Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Been a crazy October with Hurricane Matthew rolling through the low country. Aircraft evacuation coupled with a newborn has made getting out a bit challenging, however I'm happy to report a bit of recent success in the SC dirt. This particular site is an interesting one, a proverbial time capsule of relics that date from the mid 1700's up to the turn of the century. Given the range of occupation, its a dig everything type of location.

Armed with my trusty CTX, I proceeded to work a newly eroded section. Finds were scattered, but impressive given it has reached the "pounded" designation.

Beginning with the early stuff, late 1700s 33mm flat button and a cast buckle :dontknow:

20161031_185800.jpg20161031_185813.jpg

Also managed a fully intact 18th century pewter button, sadly no regimental markings on this one...condition is incredible though. Small still functioning strap buckle dug in the same plug

20161031_185840.jpg20161031_185846.jpg20161031_185624.jpg20161031_185643.jpg

This ring I am hoping is something special- comprised of 2 sections attached at the back, is a copper (some gold plate still visible) ring. Any opinions welcome on age/origins

20161031_191622.jpg20161031_191635.jpg

Onward into the 1800s, a nice variety of underwear buttons and flat buttons. The site was occupied by confederate troops, so certainly a possibility these were in use.

20161031_190022.jpg20161031_190333.jpg20161031_190355.jpg

Looks like someone may have dropped this little beauty- 1843 Seated Half Dime...rang in clear and strong despite the salt flat conditions. Love my Deus, but this machine is a beast in salt water.

20161031_191322.jpg20161031_191327.jpg

Also dug a small buckle, copper shipping nails, and pewter spoon fragments.

20161031_185723.jpg20161031_190750.jpg20161031_190843.jpg

The only CW era bullet recovered was this small pistol round

20161031_191951.jpg

Onward into the Victorian era, I scored a ladies sash buckle! Mirror image shows what it would have looked like intact.

20161031_185207.jpg20161031_185340.jpgunnamed.jpg

Also managed an early 1900s locomotive button

20161031_190544.jpg20161031_190555.jpg

Among the unknowns are this small brass item and a stamped copper decorative piece.

20161031_190658.jpg20161031_190701.jpg20161031_185445.jpg20161031_185450.jpg

Also recovered assorted lead fishing weighs, camp lead, and fired musketballs.

20161031_191936.jpg

All in all a great few digs in the SC mud, with a nice little silver to break the drought. As always, thanks for looking and good luck out there!

20161031_191715.jpg

Upvote 40
Great variety, super saves!

Congrats on the really nice finds Jon. I like the half dime and the ring. Glad to see things are getting back to normal in the Low Country.

A special congrats on the new arrival sir.

Unbelievable, I really haven't been able to get to the Atlantic Beaches after the last few hurricanes. I found some really nice black silver coins in a few 18 inch cuts back in the 80's.
Congrats on an outstanding hunt.

Certainly quite a bit of work to uncover that large amount of awesome stuff,but it certainly was well worth it.

Jon, how in the world did you manage to find all that stuff in between hanging diapers? Looks like you're back in the saddle. That sash buckle is in great shape, and congrats on finding the seated dime.

Apparently I'm a master at multitasking, although the treasure my son leaves for me to discover is less rewarding.

What an awesome collection of finds over a great span of time! There are so many goodies there I don't know where to begin to look! :icon_thumright:

Thanks wildcat, I enjoy the post hunt research almost as much as the digs themselves. Always found it interesting how we can reconstruct a site's occupation through the relics left behind.

Ok my good man....we have to have a serious talk! You NEED a GPX brother! The sites you hunt and the stuff you pull is perfect for that monster. These are great finds man. That GPX will yank pewters out from elbow deep in that muck. It shines in the salt water muck. If you're wondering how powerful it is in the salt check my latest post. I love your finds and I bet my pinky you would light that place back up with the GPX!!!! Ask OutdoorAdv about his experience in the muck....ok I'm done buddy. Killer finds and a great post

I've been quitely reading your posts Abe, along with Brads... prior to adding another machine to the arsenal. Seems like it could be a great fit for the conditions I typically hunt. May need to PM and pick your brain a bit before I pull the trigger

Looks like your time machine was in fine working order... That's a very impressive collection of finds. Well done!

Awesome digs Jon. Glad to see you're back in the swing (no pun intended!), after your down time.

Great digs as usual Jon. Glad you're digging and getting to stay around awhile. But as far as that GPX machine please don't buy it I think you have lowered the elevation of the LC enough with the machines you have now. But let's say if you were to move to the northeast I think it would be a great investment.

I've been quitely reading your posts Abe, along with Brads... prior to adding another machine to the arsenal. Seems like it could be a great fit for the conditions I typically hunt. May need to PM and pick your brain a bit before I pull the trigger

A GPX for relic hunting is a great machine in certain circumstances. Low amounts of iron and small or deep relics is where it really rocks. Abe and I have both used it around house sites and it'll make a 10" deep nail sound so glorious... so you dig a LOT of nails... Some you can tell are nails, but when they're deep they sound great. Those guys have great success with them at DIVs with highly mineralized soil where 10's of thousands of soldiers camped at one spot for a short amount of time, lots of relics, not much nails from huts... Where at a house site people lived for many years, discarded trash and and all the nails from the home. So around a colonial house site the GPX can be exhausting and you'll dig a ton of nails. But on salt flats or marsh, with salt mineralization where stuffs deep a pulse machine is good. Guess I'm rambling, but the point is its a bad a$$ relic machine in a very specific circumstance, but it's no silver bullet. I'll still reach for my Deus most of the time, but I'm VERY happy to have a GPX in my arsenal for those special times. I will be hitting the fields with it this fall in the outskirts of house sites, so maybe my view will change.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new addition to the family..Glad to hear you guys got through the storm ok..You have done very well,, allot of nice finds there.

Great digs as usual Jon. Glad you're digging and getting to stay around awhile. But as far as that GPX machine please don't buy it I think you have lowered the elevation of the LC enough with the machines you have now. But let's say if you were to move to the northeast I think it would be a great investment.

After your generosity seems to me we need to take a group field trip up to PA

A GPX for relic hunting is a great machine in certain circumstances. Low amounts of iron and small or deep relics is where it really rocks. Abe and I have both used it around house sites and it'll make a 10" deep nail sound so glorious... so you dig a LOT of nails... Some you can tell are nails, but when they're deep they sound great. Those guys have great success with them at DIVs with highly mineralized soil where 10's of thousands of soldiers camped at one spot for a short amount of time, lots of relics, not much nails from huts... Where at a house site people lived for many years, discarded trash and and all the nails from the home. So around a colonial house site the GPX can be exhausting and you'll dig a ton of nails. But on salt flats or marsh, with salt mineralization where stuffs deep a pulse machine is good. Guess I'm rambling, but the point is its a bad a$$ relic machine in a very specific circumstance, but it's no silver bullet. I'll still reach for my Deus most of the time, but I'm VERY happy to have a GPX in my arsenal for those special times. I will be hitting the fields with it this fall in the outskirts of house sites, so maybe my view will change.

Think we are all guilty of constantly searching for an edge on pounded sites, but given that I hunt so much on the flats it could be a great fit. Right now the deus for inland and CTX for coastal hunts has been an highly effective combo. Not going to lie, extending my reach of the ctx from 6-8 inches to 10-12 with the GPX could be a game changer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back