Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Been a crazy October with Hurricane Matthew rolling through the low country. Aircraft evacuation coupled with a newborn has made getting out a bit challenging, however I'm happy to report a bit of recent success in the SC dirt. This particular site is an interesting one, a proverbial time capsule of relics that date from the mid 1700's up to the turn of the century. Given the range of occupation, its a dig everything type of location.

Armed with my trusty CTX, I proceeded to work a newly eroded section. Finds were scattered, but impressive given it has reached the "pounded" designation.

Beginning with the early stuff, late 1700s 33mm flat button and a cast buckle :dontknow:

20161031_185800.jpg20161031_185813.jpg

Also managed a fully intact 18th century pewter button, sadly no regimental markings on this one...condition is incredible though. Small still functioning strap buckle dug in the same plug

20161031_185840.jpg20161031_185846.jpg20161031_185624.jpg20161031_185643.jpg

This ring I am hoping is something special- comprised of 2 sections attached at the back, is a copper (some gold plate still visible) ring. Any opinions welcome on age/origins

20161031_191622.jpg20161031_191635.jpg

Onward into the 1800s, a nice variety of underwear buttons and flat buttons. The site was occupied by confederate troops, so certainly a possibility these were in use.

20161031_190022.jpg20161031_190333.jpg20161031_190355.jpg

Looks like someone may have dropped this little beauty- 1843 Seated Half Dime...rang in clear and strong despite the salt flat conditions. Love my Deus, but this machine is a beast in salt water.

20161031_191322.jpg20161031_191327.jpg

Also dug a small buckle, copper shipping nails, and pewter spoon fragments.

20161031_185723.jpg20161031_190750.jpg20161031_190843.jpg

The only CW era bullet recovered was this small pistol round

20161031_191951.jpg

Onward into the Victorian era, I scored a ladies sash buckle! Mirror image shows what it would have looked like intact.

20161031_185207.jpg20161031_185340.jpgunnamed.jpg

Also managed an early 1900s locomotive button

20161031_190544.jpg20161031_190555.jpg

Among the unknowns are this small brass item and a stamped copper decorative piece.

20161031_190658.jpg20161031_190701.jpg20161031_185445.jpg20161031_185450.jpg

Also recovered assorted lead fishing weighs, camp lead, and fired musketballs.

20161031_191936.jpg

All in all a great few digs in the SC mud, with a nice little silver to break the drought. As always, thanks for looking and good luck out there!

20161031_191715.jpg

Upvote 40
EXCELLENT post man :icon_thumright: That was really enjoyable to read. Glad you got out a bit and turned up some really nice keepers. Awesome hunt!

EXCELLENT post man :icon_thumright: That was really enjoyable to read. Glad you got out a bit and turned up some really nice keepers. Awesome hunt!

Thanks Brad, always nice when a storm "replenishes" my favorite hunting spots. The pewter button had my heart pounding after seeing the pile of 1812 digs you guys recovered last weekend...maybe next time. Any thoughts on the small copper ring?

Thanks Brad, always nice when a storm "replenishes" my favorite hunting spots. The pewter button had my heart pounding after seeing the pile of 1812 digs you guys recovered last weekend...maybe next time. Any thoughts on the small copper ring?

It's such a great feeling to have a button at a site like that before you look at it for the first time! All my pewters are marked when I dig them up... they just turn blank when I look at them :laughing7: I forgot to mention, I really like that sash buckle too.

I don't really know anything about old rings like that... I've dug a few men's copper wedding bands at colonial cellars, but never anything fancy like that one. I bet Casper could shed some light on that one for you... He digs lots of rings and he digs colonial.

Great finds as usual! The ring is a really cool find and of course the amount of buttons is crazy! Good job dude. See yah out there

Another great hunt with nice old finds. Lots of buttons and a seated silver to boot!

I've dug the same or very similar locomotive buttons at a spot I have. Not super old compared to some of your other stuff but still a cool find.

You slaughtered it dude! Wow, I'm amazed how much a "little" storm can mix things up.

You mentioned the trip Brad, Abe,!-!: I took last week. Well that's the trip I really learned what a beast the CTX is in salty environments. Im a believer now!

Congrats on all the killer finds. The eras shown are my favorite and you scored some really awesome examples.

Cheers.
Steve

It's such a great feeling to have a button at a site like that before you look at it for the first time! All my pewters are marked when I dig them up... they just turn blank when I look at them :laughing7: I forgot to mention, I really like that sash buckle too.

I don't really know anything about old rings like that... I've dug a few men's copper wedding bands at colonial cellars, but never anything fancy like that one. I bet Casper could shed some light on that one for you... He digs lots of rings and he digs colonial.

I hear you bud, for me nothing beat the feeling of an old pewter emerging from the dirt. I swear I get more amp'd up at the possibility of a Rev War or 1812 Pewter than I do silver coins.

Jon, how in the world did you manage to find all that stuff in between changing diapers? Looks like you're back in the saddle. That sash buckle is in great shape, and congrats on finding the seated dime.

Last edited:
You slaughtered it dude! Wow, I'm amazed how much a "little" storm can mix things up.

You mentioned the trip Brad, Abe,!-!: I took last week. Well that's the trip I really learned what a beast the CTX is in salty environments. Im a believer now!

Congrats on all the killer finds. The eras shown are my favorite and you scored some really awesome examples.

Cheers.
Steve

Pound for pound its hard to beat...and that's saying something because the CTX weighs a ton. Out of curiosity did you hunt in manual or auto sensitivity? I've tried running in manual cranked up like Minelab suggests, however I feel like the machine hits harder on small deep targets in auto (even at reduced sensitivity). Those faint deep signal are unquestionable in auto +3 while in manual seem to get lost in the noise.

Last edited:
Another great hunt with nice old finds. Lots of buttons and a seated silver to boot!

I've dug the same or very similar locomotive buttons at a spot I have. Not super old compared to some of your other stuff but still a cool find.

Thanks J, the seated was a welcome sight despite the extensive salt water corrosion. Still trying to dig an elusive bust silver

What an awesome collection of finds over a great span of time! There are so many goodies there I don't know where to begin to look! :icon_thumright:

Really high quality dig, analysis, and pics. Just a perfect 150 year time capsule. Thanks for sharing it

Very cool finds, great job.

Ok my good man....we have to have a serious talk! You NEED a GPX brother! The sites you hunt and the stuff you pull is perfect for that monster. These are great finds man. That GPX will yank pewters out from elbow deep in that muck. It shines in the salt water muck. If you're wondering how powerful it is in the salt check my latest post. I love your finds and I bet my pinky you would light that place back up with the GPX!!!! Ask OutdoorAdv about his experience in the muck....ok I'm done buddy. Killer finds and a great post

Pound for pound its hard to beat...and that's saying something because the CTX weighs a ton. Out of curiosity did you hunt in manual or auto sensitivity? I've tried running in manual cranked up like Minelab suggests, however I feel like the machine hits harder on small deep targets in auto (even at reduced sensitivity). Those faint deep signal are unquestionable in auto +3 while in manual seem to get lose in the noise.

The CTX definitely dominated the other machines I was detecting next to, until Brad broke out that bloody GPX.

But to answer your question, I found running in Auto-3+ worked the best. Manual needed constant adjustment and, like you said, lost a lot in noise. I would say the sensitivity was excellent in auto+3 and all but the rattiest targets were hit. Yes, Brad and his satellite dish detector got a few targets I missed, but that's pretty good considering the machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back