Hydraulic mining area from the 1890.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went to a new spot close to home to sample a place where they washed good chunks of the mountains away. I was just wondering if any one could give me some pointers or methods on where to dig and what to look for. I will be panning the bucket of dirt shortly and will let you know if i find color. Thank you. The first photo is where i got a bucket full.

Attachments

• IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a ladder and metal detect!

We know of great places where the laws banning hydraulic mining left good gold behind.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the ladder and metal detector idea.:icon_thumleft: I would also look for seams with maybe a clay layer as their base and sample it and a few inches of the overlying small gravel and sands.

Good luck.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know that spot. Mining there ceased due to an injunction to stop hydraulic mining. They didn't quit because the gold ran out :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see your results!

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the ladder and metal detector idea.:icon_thumleft: I would also look for seams with maybe a clay layer as their base and sample it and a few inches of the overlying small gravel and sands.

Good luck.

My first pan had clumps of clay in it but i will remember that tip thank you.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near the freeway. Canyon heading to lytle creek?

Get ready to find a lot of can slaw and lead.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or if it us up Cajon more there are some club claims. Drywashers do ok.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that spot. Mining there ceased due to an injunction to stop hydraulic mining. They didn't quit because the gold ran out :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see your results!

And it’s not claimed up?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty sure it's private land

Did you check landmanager and status on mylandmatters?

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The main forest gate is open right now but they close it when the deer drop there new born in the spring.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea. MyLandMatters.com is known to be a good place to start.

When federal mining claims are concerned. In California, there is no requirement to post signs or notices.
Really would not make much difference because riff/raff just tears them down and plead ignorance anyway. My dad caught someone mining on his claim. They claimed ignorance until he looked in the bed of their truck and saw his sign that they took down. You can see why it really does not matter if it is marked or not. I particularly enjoyed filling the suction hose and shovel someone left on my claim with a dozen bullet holes. Maybe they could use the shovel to screen gravel now.

When it comes to private property in California. Trespass signs have only to do with the ability of the public to travel across private land or regulate the ability to hunt game.

Things like buried coins/relics, minerals, timber, ect. are all private property.

I’m no saint, but I do try to do my research first.

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assuming it was washed from the bottom or lower ground (maybe look for pipe and/or ditches to bring water to monitors?)….I'd check the sides going up alongside and on top in the sagebrush first? Those high pressure monitors splashed and scattered lots of small gold all over. There's also the fact that people are lazy (me included) and most have checked the material near the bottom but not the top and hillside(s). I'd highly recommend a GOOD vlf detector to find any small bits the old boys missed that got scattered with the high pressure monitors....think "edges". jmo

I've done well in hydraulic pits......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good idea. MyLandMatters.com is known to be a good place to start.

When federal mining claims are concerned. In California, there is no requirement to post signs or notices.
Really would not make much difference because riff/raff just tears them down and plead ignorance anyway. My dad caught someone mining on his claim. They claimed ignorance until he looked in the bed of their truck and saw his sign that they took down. You can see why it really does not matter if it is marked or not. I particularly enjoyed filling the suction hose and shovel someone left on my claim with a dozen bullet holes. Maybe they could use the shovel to screen gravel now.

When it comes to private property in California. Trespass signs have only to do with the ability of the public to travel across private land or regulate the ability to hunt game.

Things like buried coins/relics, minerals, timber, ect. are all private property.

I’m no saint, but I do try to do my research first.

I looked at this site and the claim map it shows 2 boxs one says 2 placer and in the same box 5 load then a box below that one it says 2 placer. The area i was in does not show claims but i will research it just to make sure.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And it’s not claimed up?

Technically, it’s private property. There is a house right next to it by the road, and land ownership maps show that cut and the house under the same ownership.

I’ve seen people detecting there, though.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, it’s private property. There is a house right next to it by the road, and land ownership maps show that cut and the house under the same ownership.

I’ve seen people detecting there, though.

The large scale property boundary mapping is typically inappropriately used because it does not represent a survey.

When you own property, there isn’t a “kinda of private property”.
There is private property that isn’t actively defended, be it due to an absentee owner, an elderly owner, an intimidated owner, or one that just doesn’t care. Then there is the owner that asserts their rights (which is actually ultimately a condition of private ownership of land).

I get what your saying, but if it’s fenced..there is a purpose.

Many times land owners are just fed up with the effort it takes. The final straw is expensive fences and large gates.

Everybody has their own comfort level.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The large scale property boundary mapping is typically inappropriately used because it does not represent a survey.

When you own property, there isn’t a “kinda of private property”.
There is private property that isn’t actively defended, be it due to an absentee owner, an elderly owner, an intimidated owner, or one that just doesn’t care. Then there is the owner that asserts their rights (which is actually ultimately a condition of private ownership of land).

I get what your saying, but if it’s fenced..there is a purpose.

Many times land owners are just fed up with the effort it takes. The final straw is expensive fences and large gates.

Everybody has their own comfort level.

I was responding to your question to me about it being claimed. I looked it up for you and gave you what I learned. It’s someone’s property, so it’s as good as claimed. I don’t remember exactly where the fence lies or if there is one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread