I am looking for a 18# bronze cannon in ohio

Gateway

Mar 9, 2007

paleo10kbc

Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer505
I grew up in Lima.I ,too, have heard this story.Someone told me by pointing,that the cannon was "over there".I don`t know who owns the property in the area,but there is a house for sale on Ft. Amanda and Dug Hill Rd. that lies in the direction to which he pointed.The area is rich in history from Indians and the war of 1812.I have permission to MD and artifact hunt WITH the prop owner about a 1/4 mile away,and will do so this spring(`08),and will pick their heads for what they know.I will post any info I can come up with,and who knows,maybe I`ll see you there.
Good luck and remember,the Auglaise is state property,so no permission needed to stomp around! Might even get the OK to hunt the surrounding area!
Paleo10kbc

indiantrade

Feb 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's 5900, Fisher 660, Garret
Paleo10kbc
Is there any other information you know of on this. I've always wanted to do some searching in that area just never could find the permission.
Indiantrade

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gateway hasnt logged in for a year

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indiantrade said:
What about Paleo10kbc ?

I believe paleo10kbc was on this morning.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

paleo10kbc

Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer505
Hey guys.Paleo here. I gave up all I know for now When spring breaks, I plan on getting out to do some MDing,and that`s my first stop.My friend who has the property that is in the area has family that has most likely been there for years. I`m sure they know more if I can just pick their brains.
The next time I`m in the area,I`ll take some pics of the historical markers there on FT.Amanda RD. and post them.
Indiantrade,let me feel out the situation,then maybe I can invite you along.It`s always nice to hunt with other people.Covers more ground.Maybe Stringfrenzy will want to join us.He seems to know the area and I think he lives only a couple blocks from me here in Celina.
feel free to PM me,guys.I`m not sure how the PM works,but I`ll figure it out.I log on TN every 2 or 3 days.

by the way,what is "bump"?
paleo10kbc

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "Bump" is basically just a way to keep the topic thread towards the top of the list. Kind of a way to keep the topic active in a sense.

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paleo10kbc said:
Hey guys.Paleo here. I gave up all I know for now When spring breaks, I plan on getting out to do some MDing,and that`s my first stop.My friend who has the property that is in the area has family that has most likely been there for years. I`m sure they know more if I can just pick their brains.
The next time I`m in the area,I`ll take some pics of the historical markers there on FT.Amanda RD. and post them.
Indiantrade,let me feel out the situation,then maybe I can invite you along.It`s always nice to hunt with other people.Covers more ground.Maybe Stringfrenzy will want to join us.He seems to know the area and I think he lives only a couple blocks from me here in Celina.
feel free to PM me,guys.I`m not sure how the PM works,but I`ll figure it out.I log on TN every 2 or 3 days.

by the way,what is "bump"?
paleo10kbc

Far be it for me to turn down a chance to get out and hunt or even talk with other hunters. I'm always up for a hunt.

indiantrade

Feb 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's 5900, Fisher 660, Garret
Sorry I haven't posted but "StingFrenzy" You're always welcome to join in a hunt. There's plenty out there just need to find it.
IndianTrade

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indiantrade said:
Sorry I haven't posted but "StingFrenzy" You're always welcome to join in a hunt. There's plenty out there just need to find it.
IndianTrade

Thanks very much. 8)

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gateway said:
We live in Northwest Ohio on a farm between two waterways. There is a map that shows "X" where solders buried a cannon when Indians were getting close. This farm has arrowheads and other pieces. We do know we have buried Indians and the settlers that stake this farm in 1800's. If you have any info please reply, thanks

Sent you a P.M.

Steve

miramar95

Greenie
Dec 6, 2008
Akron OH
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
I met an elderly gentleman in Medina that worked for the county. He told me that where SR-18 crosses the Rocky River, on the northeast side behind the strip mall, there were cannon at a depth of @ 35 ft. dating back to at least the civil war. He said that the old county engineer maps actually showed the location as about 50-75 ft north of the current road bed. Given the old trails and the history of the area, I'd guess more like the battle of Fallen Timbers and they just plain got stuck in the mud and they left them there. I don't have the resources to go dig the site, so if you do, good luck and good hunting. We have so little of that here in Ohio, it would be fantastic if it would be true. HH.
Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread