It passed 20 in spring 2008. It hit near 50 in the early 80s.
I am not an expert, but I imagine the economic factors that favor PMs are gonna be better in the future than they were in the two previous times above. Also, I wonder what the inflation adjusted price would be to equal the high in the early 80s?
Historically, bull markets in PMs last at least 10 years, sometimes 20 years. If this one started in 2000 or 2001, we are probably not done. They say that the highest gains are usually towards the end of the bull run, like other bubbles (stock market, real estate), etc.
Look at a chart of the nasdaq for 1999-2000. Who would have thought it would have gone up so much back then. And who would have thought the dow would go from 14000 to mid 7000s in a little over a year.
Anything can happen in these crazy markets. But unlike paper, there is only so much gold and silver above ground.
Jim