What's new

I BROKE THE COIN MACHINE!!

golden silver

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
2,771
Reaction score
121
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Sad but true story. Today I walk into my dump bank to dump about 1,500 in halves which is about normal for me. I get the usual stares from some of the tellers but I am pretty used to it by now. Everything was going great only the machine was running kind of slow. I knew this was because a couple of months ago some idiot decided to dump a bunch of pennies with concrete bits mixed in. The machine has never been the same. It was working none the less so I continued. I was even being super polite. There was a women with a little jar of coins behind me so I logged out of the machine and let her go. Good thing because when I started back up the coins were dumping even slower. I mean they would go round and round but did not go into the bag I thought they might eventually but as I watched I smelled burnt rubber and a couple of coins in the regect tray came out blazing hot. Obviously there was a problem. I called the attendant over and he opened it up and the rubber pad was chopped to bits. I felt sooooo bad but what could I do? What could I have done. I for the life of me did not see anything that would have jammed the machine. All of my coins that I go through are from hand rolls that are usually free of hair and dirt and grime and they are sorted out on my table so absolutely nothing gets in them. All I could do was appologize and grab the coins and leave. I think I will dump at another bank for a while. Anybody have a similar experience??

-Golden Silver
 
Upvote 0
Sounds like you did not break it, but were the unfortunate person to be using it when it decided to quit. I have used a coin machine that is probably the same type you mention. I have one particular bank where I take my dumps on occasion that has a self service machine in the lobby and it is great (unfortunately the bank is out of the way for me but I go there once a week if possible). But since anyone who comes in can use it that means problems are going to happen. I was using it the other day and I could see on the wheel where the coins spin around a piece of a pretzel and some other crap spinning around. These items were on there when I began using it, and when my coins ran through I told the teller about the debris and she said she was gonna clean it out. I am going back there tomorrow so I hope the crap is out of there. That same machine was down for 2 weeks for repairs previously so I hope it is not going to be down for more because some dumb a$$ fed a pretzel stick and other crap into the feeder.

Jim
 
I hear you J4silver. I always see a bunch of garbage in the feeder and when the teller comes over they always give me a dirty look like I am the a hole that did it. The only thing they might possibly get me on is the occasional slightly bent coin. I try to weed them all out but I am not perfect. Oh well I just hope my other dump bank machine does not break down.

-Golden Silver
 
Jim, the dumb butt may have just been a snot nosed kid playing with the machine while mom was doing her banking. Kids get into all kinds of trouble.
 
TooManyHobbies said:
Jim, the dumb butt may have just been a snot nosed kid playing with the machine while mom was doing her banking. Kids get into all kinds of trouble.

I doubt that TMH. This bank actually has video games that kids can play on while the parents do their banking. I have seen parents have to grab screaming kids away from the video games when it is time to leave. The kids go straight for the video games as opposed to the coin machine. Also, the tellers keep an eye on the coin machine, so unless the kid was with his parent and had a big jar of change, he or she would not be allowed to use the machine. My view is that there are simply ignorant non caring people in the world who don't respect their own, let alone others' property and they negligently dumped a bunch of coins into the machine that also contained some crumbs of their snacks from the night before. I am not surprised by this but am a bit disgusted by it.

Jim
 
TMH, not likely a kid because you need an account number to even get the machine running and you have to be at least 5 feet tall to dump in that thing. Just careless people I would guess.

-Golden Silver
 
golden silver said:
I was even being super polite. There was a women with a little jar of coins behind me so I logged out of the machine and let her go.
-Golden Silver

:thumbsup: I do that all the time if I have time the bank appreciates it also. plus you might get their rejects.

As far as you breaking the machine. Not your fault. Just it's time.

I always sort out the bad dirty damaged coins and spend them to avoid any inevitable coin jams hat will only slow me down.

I dump 1 to 2k at a time and almost always have a coin jam or full bin stop me. I actually account for the extra time because it happens to me at least half the time I dump. I have actually had a machine malfunction several times during a dump, and had a teller out there the whole time I was there.

Most of my dump branches are very nice to me cause I'm nice to them. They save me stuff and call me when they get cool coins in or pass my digits along to old ladies turning in granpa's collection. This gets them Donut's & other goodies. I also fill orders for them as well. Today I dropped off a roll of 1978 JFK's to fill a request for another customer. :thumbsup:

Mojo
 
i broke as opposed to the teller broke. if i had a dime for every time the machine has malf i would b rich. i tell teller.these halves are big u have to run them slow,or the machine will jam.so of course they are idiots and jam it almost every time.the only self serv machine around here rolls their own coin.so i cant use it becuz im getting silver from them
 
Yes, I have had that experience on a quite a few occasions in the past GS. Walked away with the "Out Of Order" sign hanging on the machine toting out half of the coins I went in with....lol. It was the type of machine that had the drum with the rubber whatchamacallit turning this drum. I used to work those machines pretty hard.

Back in February at one of the branches I dump at had the manager come out to talk to me while I was running my halves through. She said she wanted to talk to me when I was done.....Oh #%&@.....I knew what was coming!!!!

To make a long story short....the managers from each branch had a meeting concerning my dumping as I would spread it around to several branches....they considered me a commercial account and bought a scale for me at two different branches and provide the clear sealable bags to put my halves in. They made my hobby 100% easier....way less time....now I am in & out within minutes. They said I was filling the bins to fast so they had to keep more bins at each branch....putting alot of wear & tear on the machines since they are not the type of machines to handle that much volume.

We had an accuracy issue at the start of this new process but it was quickly resolved. This manager works very hard at accommodating my dumping but I just don't know why because I cost them money.
 
LJ, it's called customer service, which is something that is quickly disappearing in this country
 
Golden,
I take my rejects to many different branches that all have the same machine. people put all kinds of junk in these things. I remember one time I opened the lid to clean it out only to see a bunch of cigarette butts staring at me. Bottom line is they need to be cleaned by the bank personnel every day and most of the bank people don't want to take the time. Recently I've started cleaning the junk out myself and am trying to educate the staff at the various branches about this. When I tell them it costs 200$ to have the service guy walk in the door, their ears perk up. Its not your fault, no one wants to do maintenance.
 
LJ said:
..................This manager works very hard at accommodating my dumping but I just don't know why because I cost them money.

I think it had something to do with your old avatar pic.
 
XX said:
LJ said:
..................This manager works very hard at accommodating my dumping but I just don't know why because I cost them money.

I think it had something to do with your old avatar pic.

LOL!! Looks like the avatar gremlins have stolen the old LJ pic again and replaced it with some boring coin photo.

Jim
 
golden silver said:
I was even being super polite. There was a women with a little jar of coins behind me so I logged out of the machine and let her go.
First off, I am sure you are polite. That was nice of you BUT I am sure you were hoping to find some silver / wheat's or Indians left in the coin return when she was done..........LOL

I only had on break down once. It just quit. I was in the middle of dumping $500 which was my norm for this bank. By the time they got done fiddling with it, pulled out my coin and then hand counted it - it was 45 min. later. I only dump there every few weeks, it's my regular CU. They like me. I went it a few months ago and they had $18 in halves for me in a little box....all silver. Grandma and the granddaughter turned them in and they saved them for about 2 weeks until I came in.....now that is service.
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 
I went to my new bank today so I could finally use a coin machine. I guess the machine is tired, it was rejecting my halves 20/1. So I cashed out what I could. The teller checked the machine and saw a penny jammed inside. It didn't help once cleared. But it added .01 to my total. I dropped a half on the floor, so I looked under the machine while I was done there and found 2 quarters, a dime and a penny, plus two quarters and a dime I couldn't reach. When I cashed out, the teller gave me one penny, it was a 1939 wheat. No pretzels, but I had already eaten anyway. :tongue3:

I finished dumping at another branch, when I was done I looked down and saw 4 halves (of mine) on the floor. I know I didn't drop them and they didn't come from the reject tray. I think they missed the bag and fell through the door, so I put them back in and added two dollars that had already been counted. :thumbsup:
 
there's some machines that i could have printed the same story about round here.....our's are made by a company called Cummins
 
TooManyHobbies said:
I looked down and saw 4 halves (of mine) on the floor. I know I didn't drop them and they didn't come from the reject tray. I think they missed the bag and fell through the door, so I put them back in and added two dollars that had already been counted. :thumbsup:

This happens to me frequently when the machine Bin fills up some of the coins overflow and drop out the bottom but not sure if I'm ahead of the game or not. I really don't count my returns or my pickups. Too time consuming.

Occasionally I audit by placing each boxes rejects (- keppers) and drop a note in the bag with the assumed total (assuming I actually got $500 in the Brinks box) in separate bags and run them thru 1 at a time out of curiosity and I come up short a buck or 2.50 occasionally. So I figure the machine is finally refunding my shortage.

Mojo
 
Sniffer said:
LJ, it's called customer service, which is something that is quickly disappearing in this country

I can not complain about the customer service from my dump bank. I give them an A+ rating. I haven't had any real issues from my buy banks either. I guess I am been fortunate in my dealings with all the banks I visit.

jim4silver said:
XX said:
LJ said:
..................This manager works very hard at accommodating my dumping but I just don't know why because I cost them money.

I think it had something to do with your old avatar pic.

LOL!! Looks like the avatar gremlins have stolen the old LJ pic again and replaced it with some boring coin photo.

Jim

You guys are funny...besides this bank manager is a female, but you never know huh....lol.

I'm trying to change my luck.....it's been pretty slow this month. I am at 57% of my monthly goal as of right now.....not good. If my picture would have changed my luck....it would still be up there....ha! It didn't work. Besides, it was a special request from one our fellow members.
 
banks are a little different, they actually do have service. but don't go through the drivethru at a burger joint, you don't know what you're going to get
 
LJ said:
You guys are funny...besides this bank manager is a female, but you never know huh....lol.

"I kissed a girl. And I liked it." Musical Quote
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom