I buy my coins on eBay

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm far from an expert collector, but I'm getting the hang of what I can flip relatively easily/quickly. On top of that I'm trying to collect one of everything.. so any duplicates go in the sale pile. I try to buy at or under spot for the most part unless I have good reason otherwise. One new area that I'm tampering with is Morgan dollars, I'm buying too high from a silver standpoint, but I think just fine from a collectors point of view.

Anyway here are some of my buys from the last few days.

$24 shipped (spot) All Philadelphia mint.. I flip these relatively easily. I can get $8 for Kennedys, $10 for Franklins and $12 for Walkers without much issue.
four halves.jpg

$15 shipped (under spot) I haven't found many bars for under spot, but I generally search for ASEs or rounds when I'm cruising for one ounce items.
bar.jpg

$30 shipped (under spot) And here are some of those ASEs I was talking about.
painted ASEs.jpg

$34 shipped (about spot) And a few more...I have to say though I'm starting to lean more towards flipping ASEs and keeping the graded ones.
ASE graded.jpg

$7 shipped (over spot) I know, I know, Crazy going over spot on this. 1916-D
1916 D walker.jpg

$50 shipped (way over spot) And this is possibly the most over spot I've ever paid on a coin so far (hopefully ever :skullflag:) 1921-D, but still rough condition. I think $50 is a fair price and wanted it for the book anyway.
1921 D.jpg

$7 shipped (over spot) There I go again spending over spot on a half. 1904-P
1904 half.jpg

$14-$15 shipped each (over spot) A slew of morgans in various conditions/years/mints (No CC :sadsmiley:) 1890, 1881, 1921, 1890-O, 1880-S
morgan 1890.jpg
Morgan 1881.jpg
morgan 1921.jpg
morgan 1890-O.jpg
morgan 1880-S.jpg

$6 shipped (spot) Lastly a few 1940s walkers (40, 42, 43 All Philadelphia)
walker 1942.jpg
walker 1943.jpg
walker 1940.jpg

This is insontis regretfully informing you that the deals are out there!

(Or what I perceive as deals, anyway!):hello2:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say though I'm starting to lean more towards flipping ASEs and keeping the graded ones.

That is probably the safer bet for the long term. I have heard of the Chinese making fake ASEs, not just fake silver dollars. Of course, I have read about fake slabs and cert labels too, so nothing is foolproof. But unless you are buying directly from the US Mint, I'd bet on the slabbed ASEs versus the raw ones.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you did great on the Morgans. I love them. I have only found two and never bought any

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is probably the safer bet for the long term. I have heard of the Chinese making fake ASEs, not just fake silver dollars. Of course, I have read about fake slabs and cert labels too, so nothing is foolproof. But unless you are buying directly from the US Mint, I'd bet on the slabbed ASEs versus the raw ones.

I definitely agree and that in part is why I'm doing it. I've heard the same things about fakes, though I haven't encountered them yet. The other reason I'm is that in general I try to just collect one of each coin. Graded of course holds a premium and if I'm paying spot anyway I'd surely rather keep it over a raw coin. I find deals under/at spot and flip any duplicates to buy more. Not that I'd have problems stacking duplicates of silver 1oz coins.. but for now that's how I collect coins.

I think you did great on the Morgans. I love them. I have only found two and never bought any

Thanks! I'm not really sure what dealers pay when they buy Morgans so I wasn't sure if that was still a bit high. Although I'm sure there is no dollar amount lower that a dealer wouldn't pay. I know that most seem to fly at $20 shipped regardless of condition so I have to assume at $15 I'm good no matter the condition/date/mint, but any feedback on that is appreciated. I did pay $14 a piece on the worst two condition ones though - but I have to admit I'd have jumped on $15 as well.

ASE coins, are they all colored like that? I'm not very familiar with them.

No they normally aren't painted at all. There are a few different minted types, but those were just painted after the minting process. I'm thinking it's a private company that paints and distributes them, but I'm not 100% positive - maybe someone else can chime in. Some people like the painted varieties and some would just prefer them raw. I think they're cool, but I've actually sold all of the ones I've had (I think all the ones I've had were 99-01). May end up keeping this pair though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread