I.D. This heartbreaker please

Dirttrax

Jan 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in west tn and is about 2-3/4 long. Also curious what the red one is thanks. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554128532.063414.jpg

Upvote 0

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know for Tennessee, but here in Virginia that is called "Fort Nottoway", an Early Archaic knife form, side notched, serrated and resharpened by beveling the edge. Associated with both Decatur and Kirk.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Left handed beveling. Unusual. Left handed beveling is a trait on early Dalton points, but no others I know of. Left handed beveling on points other than Daltons indicates to me the maker was left handed. I'm left handed myself and am very aware of "handedness". Gary

OP
OP
D

Dirttrax

Jan 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Left handed beveling. Unusual. Left handed beveling is a trait on early Dalton points, but no others I know of. Left handed beveling on points other than Daltons indicates to me the maker was left handed. I'm left handed myself and am very aware of "handedness". Gary

Thanks this point was found a few feet from it. Would u consider this a left hand bevel?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554206082.677839.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554206104.237033.jpg

Thanks

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That base looks more Kirk than Decatur to me. And I always thought a Fort Nottoway had a more concave base. Not sure about the red one. My vote's for Kirk

OP
OP
D

Dirttrax

Jan 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That base looks more Kirk than Decatur to me. And I always thought a Fort Nottoway had a more concave base. Not sure about the red one. My vote's for Kirk

Kirk is what I been thinking also just wasn’t positive

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread