What's new

I.D. This heartbreaker please

Dirttrax

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2017
Messages
48
Reaction score
110
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in west tn and is about 2-3/4 long. Also curious what the red one is thanks. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554128532.063414.webp
 
Upvote 0
Don't know for Tennessee, but here in Virginia that is called "Fort Nottoway", an Early Archaic knife form, side notched, serrated and resharpened by beveling the edge. Associated with both Decatur and Kirk.
 
Left handed beveling. Unusual. Left handed beveling is a trait on early Dalton points, but no others I know of. Left handed beveling on points other than Daltons indicates to me the maker was left handed. I'm left handed myself and am very aware of "handedness". Gary
 
Left handed beveling. Unusual. Left handed beveling is a trait on early Dalton points, but no others I know of. Left handed beveling on points other than Daltons indicates to me the maker was left handed. I'm left handed myself and am very aware of "handedness". Gary

Thanks this point was found a few feet from it. Would u consider this a left hand bevel?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554206082.677839.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554206104.237033.webp

Thanks
 
That base looks more Kirk than Decatur to me. And I always thought a Fort Nottoway had a more concave base. Not sure about the red one. My vote's for Kirk
 
That base looks more Kirk than Decatur to me. And I always thought a Fort Nottoway had a more concave base. Not sure about the red one. My vote's for Kirk

Kirk is what I been thinking also just wasn’t positive
 
Thanks this point was found a few feet from it. Would u consider this a left hand bevel?

Thanks

That one has the right hand beveling like you see on most early archaic points. Gary
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom