I did the research, now what?

KalamazooHunter

Mar 26, 2005
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Ok, I did my research. There use to be a town around here, which shall remain nameless which is in a reasonable amount of driving distance. I drove their yesterday and located the houses I have in these old pictures:

The first one is now a house - that is for sale.
Next: An old house near their main part of town.
Next: Old school - still standing now a house.
Next: Old 20 room house - turn of the century it use to be part dance hall.

This town was around between 1870-early 1900's until the train left town. Now it's just country side basically.

So, here is my problem - I've never gone up to a house before and asked permission but I bet these would be good spots. How should I approach doing it? Any advice?

Thanks guys!
Tara

Attachments

• Henry_store.jpg
    Henry_store.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 186
  • W_house.jpg
    W_house.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 198
  • W_school.jpg
    W_school.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 203
  • W_shields.jpg
    W_shields.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your appearance probably has more to do with one's first opinion of you so dress neat or at least clean, not your old dirty detecting clothes. I would introduce myself and state my business directly. You might take those pictures with you and express your interest in the history of the place. If you can get them talking and looking you are pretty much in! If they are interested in what you will be doing, take your detector and offer to show them how it works and even invite them to come along if they wish. You probably can find some clad at least in their front yard in a few seconds. Then dig a plug and put it back without damaging the sod and show them that you will cause minimal damage. That will impress them. If you play your cards right you might have someone to dig for you! Good luck and don't worry about getting a no, sell yourself and it will likely be a yes. JIM

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jim's right and has good ideas. Carry yourself with confidence, clean casual clothes, and a smile. A lot of people have an automatic fear of rejection so don't use any negatives in your conversation such as "You wouldn't want me mding your yard, would you?"
Although you don't have any cookies, vac. cleaners, magazines, or such-remember you're still a salesman (or salesperson). You're selling yourself. Show the appropiate pictures-offer to let them have them for their scrapbook (make copies).
If they say they're busy, leave your phone # and offer to come back another time. Keep a record and check back. If they sell the property, start the procees again.
Go with confdence and you'll prevail. Best of luck and HH!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with stoney, and Jim in all that they have suggested, but before you go, you may wanna do a little more research into the town of Williams-- shown here in this link below. The info may help, and it may not. Just thought I'd offer it, and also say,

you're not the only one to have had the same idea - I've been there, and detected it myself a few times in the years past (and so have) most of the older members of the 100+ members of the S/W Mich. detecting club.

How did I know where this is!?

(Recognized the old brick house in the pics you showed, asked permission, and was denied twice by 2 different owners in about a 10 yr period). Last time was last spring/summer.

Good luck if you decide to detect there.

HH

Lonewolfe

click here for more info> http://home.earthlink.net/~tommaas/Williams.htm

OP
OP
KalamazooHunter

KalamazooHunter

Mar 26, 2005
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
lonewolfe said:
I agree with stoney, and Jim in all that they have suggested, but before you go, you may wanna do a little more research into the town of Williams-- shown here in this link below. The info may help, and it may not. Just thought I'd offer it, and also say,

you're not the only one to have had the same idea - I've been there, and detected it myself a few times in the years past (and so have) most of the older members of the 100+ members of the S/W Mich. detecting club.

How did I know where this is!?

(Recognized the old brick house in the pics you showed, asked permission, and was denied twice by 2 different owners in about a 10 yr period). Last time was last spring/summer.

Good luck if you decide to detect there.

HH

Lonewolfe

click here for more info> http://home.earthlink.net/~tommaas/Williams.htm
:'(

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Don't :'( Tara. Looks like you have a lot of history right off your front porch.
http://www.kalamazoomi.com/hisf.htm
Remember, anything you can find on the internet someone else can find as well. Try talking to your local historical society, check out the reference room at your local library, dig through the microfilm archives of old newspapers that most libraries carry. There's a practical guarantee of some gems just waiting to come to light.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't mean to discourage you Tara,

stoney's right though,

anything you can find on the net, so can anyone else, and finding good, productive sites these days are getting harder to come by (because of all the info available to everyone through the use of the net) and because it's been 40+ yrs since the invention of metal detectors available for use by the general public.

All is not lost though,

the trick is to find bits, and pieces of info through researching many different leads, in different places with different resources (like stoney has suggested above), and then piecing them all together to lead you to places where you'll find good old stuff :)

You may be at a local historical museum looking through the towns history book/s, and read where a church used to be that is no longer there, and or was moved as it grew, and you may then find that the property is now sitting there vacant, and chances are it's never been detected,

or,

you may be in the library searching news papers/micro film, and find leads to where people used to hold picnics, party's/gatherings, etc. and find that the land is somewhere you know, and may have driven by 100s of times!

Sometimes while searching through various resources, you may be able to connect one lead in with another that will lead you to several places that are just waiting to be searched (example)

I was doing some research on "Yankee Springs" (I'm sure you know where I'm talking about!) but,

I was looking for info like the above in a historical museum, and got a lead in some pervious research I was doing on a lake where people used to swim during the 20s/30s, out in the woods in the State forest/game area down there, and when I went there, and detected it,

it was "untouched"!!

I cleaned up on coins, jewelry, medals, tokens, (silver, copper, gold, etc.) toys, spoons, relics, etc.

you name it, I found it!

But it was hard research that paid off through various resources (not just a simple internet search for ghost towns) like everyone and his brother can/does do.

Keep your spirits up, get out there, and pound the pavement in some of these places for resource/info, and sooner or later, you'll find a few "untouched" places to clean up on!

Also,

I wouldn't discount the town of Williams just yet,

there's still hope to find stuff there,

I'd go ask the people to do that brick house (it can't hurt)

maybe you'll have better luck than I did because you're a woman!?

HH

Lonewolfe

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It's like a ghost town near me that just barely has anything on the internet other than name. Went to library and found a map with it located. Could put a current map on top and get an idea where it was. Then more digging and a reference book in the reference sect. told a little more and folded in the back of the book was a map that showed where the schools were and gymnasium along with where a few other businesses were located. The town had a wood board sidewalk that was 3 mi. long, this info was in another location.
So keep your chin up, don't get discouraged, keep digging above and below ground, and HH!!
P.S. Don't forget to :)
stoney56

OP
OP
KalamazooHunter

KalamazooHunter

Mar 26, 2005
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
;D Ok, Thanks for your help guys. Awesome job doing the research and finding that untouched place. I camp up at Yankee Springs (Deep Lake) often and I have looked at their website and saw their they actually have designated metal detecting areas and all other areas are off limits. I'll keep doing some research and head on down to the library as well. I bought my first red book so now I'm ready to go find the coins. I bought some coin holders too, to keep me positive. Now I'm just waiting to fill them up with something other than clad! :)
So now, I'm waiting for it to cool down outside - I'm a wimp in the heat - I'll get back out there!
Who knows, I might just try some of the Williams places! I did find a 2000 penny by the Kal-Haven Trail/2nd ave area - I bet one you darn treasure hunters dropped it! hahah :)

Thanks.

Tara

Attachments

• guy.gif
    guy.gif
    37.5 KB · Views: 139

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
KH...One thing Ive found that may sway a landowner in your favor is to tell them that you return "very personal items "I've only returned two items so far.One was a class ring, the other was a monogramed baby spoon.You may too lose a couple of finds but its cool the return the stuff and youll probably leave with better treasure than what you gave up.(coins ...etc.).Of course this is only good if its a long time family home but just watch the wheels start turning when you bring it up.And, the more things that you return, the more positive stories you have to share with the next landowner. just a suggestion....HH....JO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread