I dug my best bottle: pontil westford glass co sheaf of wheat

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug both of these in insanely perfect condition back to back memorial day weekend. Lucky does not begin to describe. To be honest over a week later it still seems like it was a dream. Is this actually happening?!!? First I pulled the Albany krug beer. Face down so was a nice suspenseful pull. To my shock it was the coveted krug beer of Albany NY! I left that day feeling good off that dig on the Saturday before Memorial day. The shovel took a beating and had split horizontally in the middle. All diggers know the futile feeling of digging with a springy broken shovel head. I went back on memorial day in the evening to replace the shovel for my brother who was going the next day. I could not resist a quick 2 hour dig in my hard earned pit that produced the krug beer among many other nice pulls. I was digging about an hour throwing my shovels of dirt in back of me. A friend of mine who digs was there and walked over to report finds and see how I was doing. I had 5 commons laid out just good enough to take. I go over to show them not too excited and I see the flask next to the five commons in perfect slick condition. A big bail of wheat on a dark mirror shiny bottle. I refer to this bottle as my 'Audrey 2'(little shop of horrors). I flung it out of my shovel with dirt/ash/overburden and it landed undamaged perfectly placed in my bottle pile.........ALWAYS CHECK YOUR OVERBURDEN! Ok so can anyone identify. the age or can verify that this is open pontil or some other kind? Thanks in advance for answers. Any info is greatly appreciated. I am keeping both but what is the value of a pontil type of these flasks? I know they are quite rare. Still shell shocked. Good luck out there all.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183097.330341.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183097.330341.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 97
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183121.446438.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183121.446438.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 100
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183154.146556.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183154.146556.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 102
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183174.512484.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183174.512484.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 101
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183191.329967.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465183191.329967.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That Albany bottle is amazing! Have never seen anything like it before.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not an open pontil but iron or sand pontil. Can't tell with those photos. Can you get us more photos in natural daylight please?
Both of these pieces are very nice. The flask is a fantastic find. I would nominate it as a banner find but I don't think the moderators will go along with that idea since you found it nearly a week ago. Still, a very very nice bottle. Congratulations

OP
OP
G

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I think sand pontil then because no iron residue. I will have to look up the value in a bottle book I am guessing. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465214702.084623.jpg

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
Very nice finds Going digging. Either of those would have put me on cloud nine as well.

OP
OP
G

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take some daylight pics soon. I think i see bits of sand in pontil area. Hard to believe how flawless it is. I would have posted sooner but was kind of freaked out. There is certainly more treasures waiting to be found out there.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favourite flasks ever! Congratulations!

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've put in my vote: These are banner finds if I've ever seen one. Especially digging them both in one weekend. (Let alone one lifetime!)

OP
OP
G

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. One pit I will always look back on. Feels good after all the tough days when you get skunked. Every treasure hunter needs to experience that jackpot feeling.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Holy Smokes! BANNER for sure buddy. I'm a digger and knowing how long and how many digs it takes to make these flask discoveries that one deserves to be on top. Not super rare but man, and tossing it out like that just makes the day better. Congrats and a couple of great scores! Keep at it. I hope you find even more! jgas

OP
OP
G

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the way it was discovered is lucky in and of itself. I know full well how unlikely those are to find in an old dump. I was so shocked I actually questioned whether someone was playing a trick on me somehow. Was in too perfect shape and just sitting among my damn bottle pile like yeah no big deal. Pure wackiness.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Up here, gets so cold that the ground normally freezes to 11' down in winter, so water kills LOTS of bottles here. Have an old dump pile in the woods that I was digging in when we moved here. Found an old glass bleach bottle with the finger loop, and several old soda bottles. A couple were quite rare; from a small, local soda maker, but the graphics were too far gone.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, the flask looks like a GXIII-37 if it's around 6" tall. I don't believe that's a pontil scar, I think in that color $150-250...

OP
OP
G

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take more pictures of bottom. You could be right. Either way it is cool snd is up on my top shelf where it belongs. What is the double concentric ring circle on the base if not a oontil? Thanks for info epackage.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll vote banner as soon as I get home. Looks like sand pontil, not carbon. WOW!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread