I dug up a SUZUKI! Superstars, Pennies and Dimes! OH MY!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
That's right... I said a SUZUKI... I know I've only been detecting for a couple of years now, but never in my life did I suspect or even dream that I would someday find a Suzuki with my detector.. or dig one up. But there it was, big as life and ready to roll. Roll, or flip, or toss, or trade or collect. <laughing> No, I didn't find a motorcycle, I found a "Superstars of Major League Baseball" collector's coin. Check it out, it's even got Mr. Ichiro Suzuki's picture on it.. a photo!

4-25-09 015BBCoincomp.JPG

Yes, this coin was just one of MANY I found today, and yesterday while detecting. You know, some trips out you can be thankfull that you found a few pull tabs or maybe a couple of coins, anything rather than being "skunked" by no finds at all... And then there are outings like yesterday evening and this morning that have you looking for a bucket or something to empty your finds bag into so that you can keep detecting without dragging your.. uh.. bag.. behind you as you walk. <blushing> That's the kind of day I had today.. and yesterday in a somewhat shorter version.
Yesterday turned into a gorgeous day here in the Bluegrass state of Kentucky. After I got off work I raced home to change clothes and find my paperwork for getting my boat taxes and registration renewed, and make it to the County Clerk's office in time to get that yearly chore completed.. this week. Well I made it with time to spare.. whew! And afterwards, I found myself with plenty of daylight yet, and nothing else to do. So you already know what I had on my mind! Alas, I have yet to renew my fishing license yet this year so that was out.. at least fishing for..uh.. FISH anyway. I could still go fishing for coins though sot that's exactly what I did! But where to go?
I knew that all the parks and playing fields I like to hunt were probably crowded shoulder to shoulder with soccer players, baseball players, spectators, and kiddies of every age and size.. and I really didn't feel much like playing the Pied Piper yesterday. So? Where else could I go? Why the schoolyard playgrounds! Of Course! I was on my way to the next town over before the thought was really even formed in my narrow mind. Why the next town over? Well, it's been rather wet around these parts lately and I've pretty much hunted all the local elementary school playgrounds to death, for a while. So I thought I'd expand my horizons a bit, and brother did it pay off! Apparently no one, or at best very few people hunt these schools and playgrounds. Coins Coins Coins Coins and more Coins! Oh sure, there was the usual junk to be found as well, pull tabs, scrap metal, pencil heads (the little metal barrel that fastens the eraser to the pencil)...

4-25-09 020Stuff.jpg

Of course most of the scrap and can slaw and other junk didn't make it past the nearest garbage receptacles.. I might pick it up while I'm detecting, but I don't feel the need to pack it around with me the whole time I'm out detecting. I couldn't bring myself to chuck the big chunk of lead into the trash though. I think it's the post off of an automobile battery. That particular find was found in the dirt and grass alongside a schoolyard "soccer field"... not in the woodchips. That's not to say that I didn't find any oddities in the woodchips.. there was, after all, the Suzuki mentioned earlier. <grin>
You can't hunt woodchips, tot lots and playgrounds without running across or finding things like snaps and buttons.. of all sizes, shapes and color. I found one today that I truly believe is a "gibbit" for shoes (Crocs), although I've never seen a metal gibbit before now. Check out the smiley face in this collection of buttons and snaps.

4-25-09 018Buttons.jpg

Oddly enough I only found one zipper pull this time out. Some of those little buttons or snaps can be quite challenging to actually find even after you've "detected" them with your machine. That one tiny little Hanna Montanna snap or button or whatever eluded me for several minutes, even with my Bullseye pinpointer in use.

4-25-09 019HannaButton.jpg

Yesterday's hunt included three Grade Schools (Elementary Schools) in Paris Kentucky (Bourbon County). I would have liked to have detected some around the High School Athletics field too, but alas, the sun was setting and my brief window of opportunity was fading with the sunlight. Still though, I got a good couple of hours or so of detecting in not counting the drive time to and from and between destinations. I know I made quite a haul of clad, but I didn't actually keep track of the amount. I mean, I lost count somewhere around 36 or 37 coins. <BIG SMILE>
TODAY was just as good as yesterday's bounty, if not more so. Today I arose from my overnight slumber with one thing on my mind, And.. well.. since I still haven't renewed my fishing license I went with my back up plan.. MORE DETECTING!
Today's hunt was in yet ANOTHER nearby town, somewhat south of Lexington, Richmond Kentucky. Home to Eastern Kentucky University, and a really nice big municipal park where there are LOADS of soccer fields and baseball diamonds. It being a Saturday and all, I figured I needed to get there rather early to beat the crowds that were sure to come pouring into the park for the weekend soccer matches and baseball games.
The grass was still wet with dew and the birds were still wiping sleep out of their eyes when I dug my first target and recovered my first coin this morning. I'll have to admit, though I found maybe a dozen coins or so, along with the usual trash metal, I was rather disappointed with my finds for the soccer fields. I figured I would find a great deal more, but then I guess other people may be detecting this park besides myself. <shrug> More power to them! There's plenty to go around. By the time I was starting to feel crowded, and the first soccer matches were gearing up to "kick off" I realized that it was too late, also, to check out the baseball fields, as they were filling up as well. *sigh* What's a guy to do? Well I know what this guy did, I checked out one of the local Elementary school playgrounds. BOY HOWDY! That was an Awesome decision! One of my first finds at this playground was that Suzuki I've mentioned several times now. <grin> Along with close to or over a hundred other coins! NO KIDDING! And PENNIES! LOADS OF 'EM! And dimes. LOTS of Dimes today. I did find a few odd coins as well. Well, perhaps not odd, but alien to this local anyway. One little Canadian penny, and one Mexican coin. I'm not sure what denomination it's supposed to be, but I think it's a ONE Peso coin..

4-25-09 003Aliens.jpg

... here's a better picture of the Mexican coin.. front and back..

4-25-09 009MexComp.JPG

It's not a very big coin, but still it's a neat find for me. Just another couple of foreign coins that have traveled a great deal just to end up in my finds bag and then in my collection. There were a few other odd coins that weren't "alien" as well. I found a couple of Wheaties today. One 1944 D and one 1958 D.

4-25-09 006WheatsFcomp.JPG

.. One poor Lincoln Memorial Cent looks as though it had a very bad meeting with something along the lines of say.. a lawnmower?..

4-25-09 004Whacked.jpg

... oh, and there was the one lone token found today, a Namco Games token? <shrug> I've found a couple of these before, not as cherished or valued as say a "Chuck E Cheese" token, but I'll keep it all the same. <smile>
There was some bling to be shared today as well. Two rings found, One, a bubblegum machine "stamped" aluminum girls ring.... and the second one was a big ugly junk ring that looks like a German Iron Cross.

4-25-09 013IronCross.jpg

Well the coins, the ring, the SUZUKI.. it all made for a very exciting morning, and rewarding! I had promised my wife that we would go out for lunch this afternoon, and take care of some errands, so the one schoolyard was all I hunted in Richmond this morning. After three hours of detecting, much of that spent on my hands and knees recovering the targets I'd found, I was getting a bit tired anyway. When you just don't feel like bending over or stooping down to recover the next target to pop up on your detector, it's time to call it a day. So home I went. I still didn't know just HOW rewarding the hunts from yesterday and this morning were because I didn't have time to sort through my finds bag until much later in the evening.
After getting a haircut, and going to lunch, and shopping, and getting groceries, I finally found time to sort, count and document my finds.. WOW! Combined, the two hunts netted me with some $13.46 US (not counting the wheat pennies or foreign coins). Another nice addition to the Vacation fund, to be sure!

4-25-09 001Clad.jpg

But the day was getting better all the time.. You see, even before I knew how much clad I'd collected, I was looking forward to dinner. My wife and I enjoyed a couple of steaks that I grilled this evening. MMMMMM.. T-Bones!

4-25-09 029Tbones.JPG

... <Big Wicked Grin>

While cooking our dinner on the grill , I also did a little tour of the back yard to see how my garden was coming along and what was blooming or getting ready to bloom. As I checked on my Grape arbor I found that my Concord Grape Vines were all unfurling new leaves and even the baby beginnings of this year's crop of delicious Concord Grapes were making their debut. Hopefully I'll have another bumper crop this year.. have to put up some more Grape Jelly !!

4-25-09 025Grapes2.jpg

Now take that picture and multiply it about 3000 times! if even 10 percent of those little babies make it to maturity I'll be sitting pretty with the jelly jars this summer!

It's getting long into the evening hours now as I finish typing this post in and sharing with all you fellow TNetters. I'm going to close this post and head off to bed. I've not got anything else going on in the morning so, since I still haven't renewed my fishing license.. *sigh*.. I'm going to try to take advantage of this wonderful weather and go do some more detecting in the morning, if a bit closer to home anyway. <smile> I hope you all got out or are going to get out and enjoy the weather and this hobby as well. As always..

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Muddy Treats

Mar 28, 2009
Where The Rivers Meet, WV
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awesome finds! You found all kinds of goodies! Nice on digging up Ichiro, i think he's one of the best baseball players playing today. Wanna sell it? ;D

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Nice, I found my second 1944 wheatie today, very good shape it was in a stack of 3 and it was in the middle!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
STH69 said:
Nice, I found my second 1944 wheatie today, very good shape it was in a stack of 3 and it was in the middle!

I always enjoy finding Wheaties wherever I may find them, but finding them in the woodhcips or in schoolyard playgrounds leads me to believe that they were being carried around as novelties to some child or another. Oh well, I still like finding them.

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Muddy Treats said:
Wow, awesome finds! You found all kinds of goodies! Nice on digging up Ichiro, i think he's one of the best baseball players playing today. Wanna sell it? ;D

Well that just shows how much I follow Baseball, let alone how much of a "fan" I am. <shrug> I played baseball as a child, but never did really develope much of a passion for it, and it shows. I had no idea who Ichiro Suzuki was, or that he even played on a Major League Baseball team here in the U.S. I guess we learn something everyday... At least THAT'S my aim anyway. Thanks!

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
That is classic, I did not know they even made collector coins like that. It makes me kinda curious as to its worth? Do you trade it like a baseball card lol? jk jk! That is a neat find man!

John
(Newbie)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Thats a nice haul for your "vacation fund"!! Congrats on a sweet day of dirt fishing!!

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Ichi hit a walkoff grand slam homer against my Angels just a week or so ago. My grapes are about two months ahead of your's (Thomsons & Globes) and looks like it's going to be bumber this year. Your a lucky Man good finds good feilds and good chow.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
bellapoison said:
By the way, the Mexican coin is contemporary 1 peso. Worth about 7 cents. ;D

Thanks bella... I didn't figure that it was worth much and other than marvelling at it's long travel to get to Central Kentucky, I really didn't get that excited about it. You see, I found a $1000 Peso coin a couple of years ago and nearly soiled my pants. I had no clue as to what it might be worth so I cell phoned my wife and had her look it up on the internet while I was driveing home from detecting. She got excited! According to the exchange rates posted online that coin was supposedly worth $80.00 +- US... that is untill we discovered that it was a "Devalued" Peso... it was actually worth about 80 cents US. <laughing> BIG HONKIN HEAVY coin though.. cool find.. just about worthless however. SO.. when I found this tiny little $1 Peso coin.. just couldn't get excited about it for some reason. <shrug> Still a neat find I think, just not worthy of the Chicken Dance of Excitement!

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
my favorite would have to be the steak, then the ring..
nice finds frodov...

Oh yeah.. the steak was the highlight of the day. The topper so to speak. Couldn't eat it all though, was just too much. So, I had steak sandwiches the next day for lunch. <grin> The ring is a bit ugly though. I mean I can understand and I respect the original award it represents, it was a very high honor indeed for that country and that time. (Germany~first World War..even into World War II though the leadership was less then honorable but that's a different story) I won't say it's as important as the United States' Medal of Honor, but it's fairly close in respects to the receipients. It's really been bastardized and taken out of context over the years though, as a simbol and what it represents. It's sad really, but life goes on, and everything changes I suppose. Hell ! At one time the Swastika was an honorable emblem even in the united states! But that was before it was adopted for the Nazi regime and was forever villafied by association to thoses psychotic sociopaths that lead the world to such dire extremes before being brought down.
As an emblem, I wasn't so much impressed with the ring that I found. As a "find" simply metal detecting.. still pretty cool in my book. <smile> But then, even pop tops (pull tabs) are fun to find in my book. <laughing> Thanks for reading.. and as always..

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post, Frodov. That suzuki thing is in good shape. May be worth some bucks some day. The beef looks good too ::) Did you find that detecting too :D

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
crazyjarhead said:
Excellent post, Frodov. That suzuki thing is in good shape. May be worth some bucks some day. The beef looks good too ::) Did you find that detecting too :D

No my friend, the only thing I found .. of the beef.. detecting was my appetite! <smile> Hmmm.. the suzuki coin might be worth something? Wow! Go Figure! I wonder how much, if anything. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Jack(IN) said:
Thats a nice haul for your "vacation fund"!! Congrats on a sweet day of dirt fishing!!

That it is my friend.. unfortunately not every hunt is as "productive". *sigh* Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get pull tabs! <grin> Every target is a thrill, every recovery is an adventure. I love it when I find lots of coins, but finding anything at all is what it's all about. Got to love a hobby that pays you to play though!

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread