I feel bad after my rant about my disappointment with the NOX 600....she came through

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Walker is in great shape. The biggest problem I see out there is people over tweak the machines and then they don't work as described. A machine can be over tweaked. 100 hours? Seriously? I must be doing something wrong. I TRUST my detectors. I look for relics 95% of the time. I don't have time for the beach anymore, I like the history not the dollar aspect and don't do parks, I just don't like them. I have certainly dug my share of everything.

Soooo...I also don't have a problem with iron. I do dig some, but face it, something like a silver half is going to scream at you. You dig it, no thought required. Almost all silver is that way. It just screams at you. Now some folded aluminum can mimic gold, one of my sites has the shredded beer cans it in, but I am correct 95% of the time it's aluminum before I dig it. Sometimes a part of an aluminum can down over a foot will engage my interest, you never know, but that's ok.

This last week I was at a Rev War and contact period American Indian site. Not one, no, not one coin signal in 295 acres! And no, I didn't grid all of that land. I found three hot spots and pulled out Indian artifacts (eyeballed), and some nice Indian trade materials, brass trade points, brass tinkle cones, Rev War bullets and a button. Here's the rub. I got this "nickel" signal. I could tell it wasn't deep, and I could tell it was small, but "learning" that kind of nuance doesn't take me long for some reason. My motto is "dig it all let God sort it out". I knew it wasn't iron. Pending further investigation, it is a very small nickel iron meteorite. I just was at the right place at the right time. The rock does test for nickel, so it's pretty definitive. 80' away I got a large iron signal, I knew it was iron, but I was hoping for a Rev War period ax. It was a Rev War American stirrup! I never dug one of those before and they're pretty expensive. It's being cleaned now.

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation but there are three things I'd like to emphasize 1) don't tweak the machine too much 2) if it's not there, you won't find it and 3) dig iffy signals. I don't dig nails unless I want to, sometimes I do to accurately date my site. Assuming your machine is in good operating order, it's a decent machine and should do the trick for you.

OP
OP
D

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what do you mean operating order. It turns on and works normally isn’t that normal. I dropped it a couple time but it’s part of the job. Never from more than waste high. I clean it up every now and then dielectric grease dabs on the connector pins

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what do you mean operating order. It turns on and works normally isn’t that normal. I dropped it a couple time but it’s part of the job. Never from more than waste high. I clean it up every now and then dielectric grease dabs on the connector pins

All smokey was saying is that unless your machine (Equinox) is broken or the settings are out of whack, after having as many hours you do, you should be having more success accurately IDing iron falsing vs. a true non-ferrous target than you are describing and silver droughts are more about the site and getting your coil over the target (blanketing the site with tight coverage). Otherwise it is more about luck and the detectorist than it is about the detector performance because any detector should be able to bang on those silvers you recovered.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, exactly what Vferrari said. You may have to move to other sites. Eventually all sites become rather boring, with few finds. Even my Civil War honey hole is getting dry. The good targets have to be there to begin with. And once they are found, especially in older sites, they do not replenish, unlike a currently used beach.

OP
OP
D

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep hanging on the thought I’m missing deep ones

But I must press on