I feel bad after my rant about my disappointment with the NOX 600....she came through

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1722061 View attachment 1722062 View attachment 1722063 View attachment 1722064 View attachment 1722065

1st squeal the quarter, then I ran the pin point through the hole and out popped the 44 half! She is in excellent shape! The thing looks like it barely was touched ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560301274.709050.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560301287.750434.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560301298.232534.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking coin. Congrat's, and I'm hoping that this is only the first of Many times that the Equinox comes through for you.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know how much time you have on the machine but most talk down their machine before getting to know it well. In today's INSTANT GRATIFICATION world, most consider the required 100 hours eternity! TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
D

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 8+ years Metal Detecting
All have been with a Minelab machine
1st- EXPLORER SE PRO
2nd-ETRAC
3rd-EQUINOX 600 (April 2018-present)

I have a few gold rings and several silver and old coins and silver coins. I just tired of rust tricking the machine

It’s 2019
Not 1980
It should recognize with near perfect accuracy specially when it’s between a ferrous-non ferrous! How do they remotely get mixed up

It’s like a Voltmeter reading 0 volts but there are really 480v running through it

🤔🤔🤔

We can say what planet millions of miles away is composed of yet we can’t say what lies merely inches under the soil

Last edited by a moderator:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 8 years detecting sound like you did the same year 8 times over.... after 8 years you probably should realise that there is no magic wand.

chub

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 8+ years Metal Detecting
All have been with a Minelab machine
1st- EXPLORER SE PRO
2nd-ETRAC
3rd-EQUINOX 600 (April 2018-present)

I have a few gold rings and several silver and old coins and silver coins. I just tired of rust tricking the machine

It’s 2019
Not 1980
It should recognize with near perfect accuracy specially when it’s between a ferrous-non ferrous! How do they remotely get mixed up

It’s like a Voltmeter reading 0 volts but there are really 480v running through it

樂樂樂

We can say what planet millions of miles away is composed of yet we can’t say what lies merely inches under the soil

Just like the investment adverts say, "past performance is no indicative of future returns". All those detectors are excellent and all of them take a lot of time to master. The Equinox is no different. You need to spend 100+ hours of actively hunting, not passively detecting. Spend time analyzing every target. Listen to the size, the "shape" of the tone, the VDI response, the VDI stability, pinpoint shift, reported depth, pinpoint volume, and how ALL that changes as you circle the target from different directions.

If you aren't actively trying to learn the machine, you're doomed to spend the entire time digging like a day-1 newb.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are nearly foolproof ways to tell between iron falsing and not. After 8 years, you shouldn't need basic advice, but here goes:

Turn down your sensitivity to minimise iron falsing.
Turn down your gain, if applicable, to minimise iron falsing.
Rotate around the target and see if the signal changes.
Lift your coil and see if it's still strong.
Mark the exact spot (down to the size of a dime or so) where the signal is coming from. If, when you rotate 90 degrees the signal is no longer coming from that EXACT blade of grass or whatever, walk away. It's most likely not a coin. Of course, it could be a coin mixed with iron, but you'll have to dig it to find out. That's what the hobby is about: Using the info your machine gives you to make an educated guess on whether the target is worth digging or not.

Congrats on the half btw. It's a beauty!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pffft I mean they should have machines with xray LCD display and sonar by now WTH....:laughing9:

OP
OP
D

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well seriously...how the hell you see electrons spin but can see beneath 12” of dirt

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a no brainer, why is this so difficult

Wow. So yeah, design a new detector that meets your outrageous criteria and make millions. It's a no-brainer, right? Therefore, SOMEONE with no brain could certainly make a technological breakthrough. We'll all be waiting, cash in hand.

OP
OP
D

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol

No the idiot that developed the technology to watch electrons spin or the one that can see a planet that is 1000’s of light years away

I’ll leave it to them thanks

Or the one that designed a missile that can take out a ICBM traveling 1000’s of mph

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chub and ddloop, post by our rules, end the insults now.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The metal detector basics has not really changed since WWII. The added BELLS AND WHISTLES has turned the thing into something that the lay person's mind will accept. Beyond the basic noise signal, the rest is only a GUESS by the machine. Most detectors are "tuned" to find coins (civilian models) so the "guess" is based on a signal from a target the size of a coin. Everything else is "extra". The older salts, myself included, cut our teeth on detectors that had no display. We learned it all by sound. After that, our experience takes us further "based on our best guess". Stop depending on that silly display and you will go farther! TTC

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The metal detector basics has not really changed since WWII. The added BELLS AND WHISTLES has turned the thing into something that the lay person's mind will accept. Beyond the basic noise signal, the rest is only a GUESS by the machine. Most detectors are "tuned" to find coins (civilian models) so the "guess" is based on a signal from a target the size of a coin. Everything else is "extra". The older salts, myself included, cut our teeth on detectors that had no display. We learned it all by sound. After that, our experience takes us further "based on our best guess". Stop depending on that silly display and you will go farther! TTC

Precisely, if the OP actually understood just a little about the underlying technology, probably would not be spouting outrageous comments like it should be a "no brainer".

First, as mentioned in the previous "rant" thread, spending quality time to actually "learn" the machine means that after a year, you should readily be able to tell the difference between iron falsing and true non-ferrous target signals. Numerous "tells" in the audio and the Equinox excels in the ways you can quickly (with basically a single button push) interrogate a suspected false or iffy target with alternate settings to give you a pretty good idea whether you are swinging over a falsing iron target or possible keeper. Those are all outlined throughout the painful rant thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...bsolutely-love-fooling-my-rusted-objects.html You are still going to dig a bent nail or two, but it should cut down on your iron junk to target ratio.

Regarding the technology, about the only thing that is guaranteed with VLF induction balance detectors, the prevailing technology used by Equinox and most consumer grade detectors is that you can definitely tell you have metal or ferrous containing rocks or dirt underneath the coil. Beyond that, the detector technology is simply guessing as to the type of target based on the response. Since there are so many variables (size, shape, composition, ground effects, nearby target interference) and many metals can and do emulate other metals (aluminum and gold for instance - the cruelest practical joke levied on detectorists), the number on the screen and sound in your ear is merely a high probability guess by the detector designer. The only way to be 100% sure is to dig it out. If it was easy, if it was straight forward, you better believe any of these cutting edge detector manufacturers would have cracked the code and that detector would be selling like hotcakes. It isn't because smart people are not engaged in detector design, it is because the problem is literally very hard to "nail" down.

Congrats on the silver if only because it is good rant prevention. Lol.

Hope you have been able to actually learn and apply those iron "tell" tips and they start paying off with less iron and more silver. HH.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Precisely, if the OP actually understood just a little about the underlying technology, probably would not be spouting outrageous comments like it should be a "no brainer".

First, as mentioned in the previous "rant" thread, spending quality time to actually "learn" the machine means that after a year, you should readily be able to tell the difference between iron falsing and true non-ferrous target signals. Numerous "tells" in the audio and the Equinox excels in the ways you can quickly (with basically a single button push) interrogate a suspected false or iffy target with alternate settings to give you a pretty good idea whether you are swinging over a falsing iron target or possible keeper. Those are all outlined throughout the painful rant thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...bsolutely-love-fooling-my-rusted-objects.html You are still going to dig a bent nail or two, but it should cut down on your iron junk to target ratio.

Regarding the technology, about the only thing that is guaranteed with VLF induction balance detectors, the prevailing technology used by Equinox and most consumer grade detectors is that you can definitely tell you have metal or ferrous containing rocks or dirt underneath the coil. Beyond that, the detector technology is simply guessing as to the type of target based on the response. Since there are so many variables (size, shape, composition, ground effects, nearby target interference) and many metals can and do emulate other metals (aluminum and gold for instance - the cruelest practical joke levied on detectorists), the number on the screen and sound in your ear is merely a high probability guess by the detector designer. The only way to be 100% sure is to dig it out. If it was easy, if it was straight forward, you better believe any of these cutting edge detector manufacturers would have cracked the code and that detector would be selling like hotcakes. It isn't because smart people are not engaged in detector design, it is because the problem is literally very hard to "nail" down.

Congrats on the silver if only because it is good rant prevention. Lol.

Hope you have been able to actually learn and apply those iron "tell" tips and they start paying off with less iron and more silver. HH.
Thank you. Ask any detector salesperson if the detector target id is dead on and NONE will say yes. ALL will waffle with some sales "double speak". TTC

OP
OP
D

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah and I was throwing the At Pro coil around and it didn’t make me dig rust nearly like the 609

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah and I was throwing the At Pro coil around and it didn’t make me dig rust nearly like the 609

Just keepers, right? Great machine except in really thick iron, it has trouble separating targets plus it really did a number on my wrist, not well balanced weight wise.

That Walker is in beautiful shape.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that Walker is a blazer ! Hope you apologized to your 600 !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread