I found a most unusual ring

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to do this because I do NOT know how to post photos.

However, I live in an area that has been settled since the 1700's and have about four acres, which I have been avidly metal detecting. I am finding evidence of prior life here, including two sterling silver thimbles and old hand forged iron pieces.

A little while ago my metal detector went crazy and rang on the highest tone it could (I have an ACE 250 with a bigger than stock coil). It rang repeatedly at the dollar mark, under silver.

I dug up what looks to be a hand carved man's ring.

The soil here is very wet and we have lots of humidity here. This ring is silver in color, rather dull looking, with black areas and pitting, especially on the inside. However, there are spots that I may have hit with my shovel and they are a bright shiny silver. It weighs 9.2 grams. It is 3/8 of an inch wide and about 3 and 1/4 circumference.

The thing looks hand hammered and soldered.

What kind of silver colored metal would retain the shine underneath, but be subject to pitting?

Thank you.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to do this because I do NOT know how to post photos.

However, I live in an area that has been settled since the 1700's and have about four acres, which I have been avidly metal detecting. I am finding evidence of prior life here, including two sterling silver thimbles and old hand forged iron pieces.

A little while ago my metal detector went crazy and rang on the highest tone it could (I have an ACE 250 with a bigger than stock coil). It rang repeatedly at the dollar mark, under silver.

I dug up what looks to be a hand carved man's ring.

The soil here is very wet and we have lots of humidity here. This ring is silver in color, rather dull looking, with black areas and pitting, especially on the inside. However, there are spots that I may have hit with my shovel and they are a bright shiny silver. It weighs 9.2 grams. It is 3/8 of an inch wide and about 3 and 1/4 circumference.

The thing looks hand hammered and soldered.

What kind of silver colored metal would retain the shine underneath, but be subject to pitting?

Thank you.
sounds like pot metal to me . learn to load pics off your phone , if I can do it anyone can..

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you can post a new thread, you can attach a photo...scroll down the post input and you will see the icon. Good Luck :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions