I found a Spencer Carbine!!! And I dont mean a bullet...

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Spencer Carbine!!! And I don't mean a bullet...

Wow. I had a fantastic day yesterday detecting. I ended up with three guns and a nice pile of relics. The water was warm, the sun was hot and I was in seventh heaven. First up is a group shot of most of my finds...

P7180011.JPG

Another group shot of some different stuff. Notice the Civil War musket barrel!

P7180017.JPG

Next is the Spencer Carbine! ;D It was under less than 18' of water and fully exposed. Most of the wood is gone, but I'm still as happy as can be. I'll get a video up of my finding it soon on my "Aquachigger" channel on Youtube.

P7180020.JPG

On to an under water shot of the pistol I found. It too was visible from the surface. I figure it is post war, but it's still pretty darn neat...

P7180006.JPG

Here is the pistol cleaned up just a tad. Does anyone have any ides as to what make and model it might be? I haven't a clue...

P7190038.JPG

Here is a Spencer carbine bullet that I found. It's the same kind that goes to the carbine above. Notice how a soldier has done a little carving to the lead....

P7180028.JPG

I also found a couple more "bullet sinkers". They are one of my favorite things to find. The two with the nail through them is a first for me!

P7180029.JPG

And rounding out the pictures is two eagle buttons, a colonial copper and a carved bullet. It is very unusual for me to find two or three piece buttons in the water.

P7180030.JPG

I hope you enjoyed for a few moments reliving the hunt with me. It was a blast and I can't wait to get back out there. Thanks for checking it out!

Upvote 1
Re: I found a Spencer Carbine!!! And I don't mean a bullet...

Outstanding recoveries! One of the best I've seen in a long time. Congrats.
Call me crazy, but I think those bullet sinkers are just as cool. ;D :icon_thumleft:
Thanks for the post and great photos.
-MM-

That is an incredible find! I vote banner

i found a similar mechanism to the one on your musket back in 2009

Attachments

• lock 010.JPG
    lock 010.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,652
  • lock 011.JPG
    lock 011.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,663

I am impressed thats nothing more than a banner hunt for sure. IMO. That SPencer is just sweet and will look great up on the wall! Banner!

Thats freakin AWESOME!!! love the water pic with the pistol :thumbsup: swimming and digging relics
now how cool is that :hello2:
Pro-

Now that was a Fun hunt. Congrats on the finds. Awesome stuff! :headbang:

Awesome finds my man,im glad you identified those "sinker" bullets.ingenious idea.

hh Dave

phifly04 said:
Awesome finds my man,im glad you identified those "sinker" bullets.ingenious idea.

hh Dave
p.s Banner

Banner find all day erry day! :o

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll get the pistol in electrolysis in the next few days and maybe we can get a better bearing on what it is. Everything you guys have been posting looks just like it! I see you all like the underwater shots. I'll try to take more of them. They are pretty cool. I have quite a few relic videos shot underwater on Youtube. I can't figure how to post a Youtube link, but just search for the "Aquachigger" channel. I will be posting a lot more videos next week showing the recovery of the carbine and some other neat items. Also, to answer dands question. I have just started using the Garret AT Pro. It is a killer machine. I own a Smurfmaster, and two CZ-21's. I have been a die hard '21 user for years. They are now relics themselves collecting dust in the basement. The AT Pro has made the much of a difference. At least with the kind of hunting I do. Thanks again!

Fantastic is right! :o
what a great bunch of recoveries..
Love seeing items underwater & saying 'that's not natural',
good eye.
That's a banner hunt. Congrats ;D

Re: Great finds Beau! Keep them coming.

metalev4 said:
I remember that complete cartridge box you found a couple years ago, one of the nicer relics I have seen.
-Ev

Thanks... That was a very unexpected and welcomed find. I hope you don't mind, but here it is again ;D

Attachments

• DSC04344.JPG
    DSC04344.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,400

Consider submitting a short write up on this to Garrett and there may be some Cha Ching in it for ya! LOL!

A find like this would make the front page some place!

Nice finds as always. I watched some of your youtube videos and amazing. I never thought about just eyeballing underwater at a state park and see what you might find. I just recently bought an AT Pro and I am anxious to take it out and see whats underwater here in Kentucky. Gotta get the water proof head phones and snorkle gear first and some decent water to search in.

:o WoW! What an incredible site to be hunting! :icon_pirat: Congrats on ALL those terrific finds! :notworthy:

Nana

That is absolutely awesome!!!The Spencer is my favorite only second to the Hall!!!Right on man!!

I missed that cartridge box before too,unbelievable!!!! :thumbsup:

I still say banner! You may be able to bring that carbine back to life as a wall hanger. You should be able to purchase the wood stock. Amazing hunt! Hey what was in the catrage box?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back